Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 AM

459 posts, read 699,034 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what's so different about Asians compared to other minorities. I've been looking at Greatschools.org stats and it doesn't matter if it's east coast or west coast, Asians do well at school and follow white stats closely but there's a HUGE disparity with Hispanics and blacks.

In San Diego I noticed a majority Asian school in a mid/low income neighborhood do great (at least on paper) comparable to wealthy majority white areas. In this particular school even the other minorities do higher than state average.
Although looking at other stats, San Diego county seems to be doing good with schools in general. But yeah, why are Asians different and what can we do to improve the school experience/results for other minorities?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:00 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
The same situation applies in Australia and in my state we have public academically selective high schools. They are overwhelmingly full of Asian background students. The highest ranking school, James Ruse High School, has more than 90% of students from non English speaking backgrounds.

Someone just did a study to try to identify reasons for this. Unsurprisingly it was found that the kids spend more time at home doing homework and other school related activities, that the parents have a very high regard for the importance of education and it is commonly thought that the families respect teachers more and expect their kids to do so.

Also here we have a very selective immigration policy so that many of the parents are professionals themselves. I read, though am not certain, that we are one of the few countries where our immigrants overall outperform our non immigrant population.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:17 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,320 times
Many (most?) Asians in the US are the cream of the crop Asians, the ones with the brains and money to make it here, the engineers, the PhDs, the business owners, the ones on the far right of the Asian IQ Bell Curve. The median Asian is still back in Asia sewing Nike shoes or slapping iFads together or picking rice. Most of those in India and China live worse than the poorest Americans.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-07-2019 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted pictures

Old 08-07-2019, 12:05 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Many (most?) Asians in the US are the cream of the crop Asians, the ones with the brains and money to make it here, the engineers, the PhDs, the business owners, the ones on the far right of the Asian IQ Bell Curve.
That's definitely not true here in NYC, where Asians predominate at the most selective public high schools. Many (but not all) of those kids' parents are working-class to downright poor. But I do think that there is one reason for their numbers at these schools that is often overlooked. Entry to these schools are by test only, and many Asian cultures--Korean, Indian, and especially Chinese--have a long history of social mobility and/or educational advancement that depends solely on successfully mastering a single test. I believe that many Asians here come with that mindset and drum it their kids from an early age. You can go into Asian neighborhoods and see whole private academies devoted to nothing by test prep. By contrast, the best high schools here that are not solely test-dependent, as Hunter or Stuyvesant are, have a much more ethnically diverse student population.

But I will agree that immigrants in general, whether Asian, Middle Eastern, Caribbean, or Latin American, are generally just "hungrier' than native-born kids, who may have more to fall back on without a top-notch education. Also interesting that I've seen research (cannot remember where) that the educational achievement of immigrants and their offspring tends to revert toward the U.S mean the longer they've been here. But like I say, I cannot verify that.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
Many (most?) Asians in the US are the cream of the crop Asians, the ones with the brains and money to make it here, the engineers, the PhDs, the business owners, the ones on the far right of the Asian IQ Bell Curve. The median Asian is still back in Asia sewing Nike shoes or slapping iFads together or picking rice. Most of those in India and China live worse than the poorest Americans.
It's the case, here, where many /most Asian immigrants came for tech company and medical jobs. I don't think that's the case in every city, though, as the poster who noted merchant class and poverty among the population mentioned. Here, more commonly white collar, though.

Attitudes toward education vary culturally, though, and some Eastern cultures are intensely consistent in a deeply culturally embedded value of academic excellence. If that stays reinforced, generation to generation, that's what you get.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM

One thing I am certain of is other nonwhites' failures have nothing to do with discrimination or racism.
Thought Experiment: If for 10 years other nonwhites acted like Asians in all things relevant to both academic and economic success starting at a young age, and if other nonwhite children attended school such that their truancy rate (which is now five times higher than that for whites) fell to the same rate as Asians and if they studied at the same rate of Asians and did not have children out of wedlock and waited until they were married before having children and the did not get involved in gangs, crimes, and drugs and we STILL saw the racial disparities that we do, THEN it is time to look for a structural inequality (systemic racism, white privilege, etc) and to look for an ubiquitous racism explanation. BUT right now when the behavioral disparities are SO glaring and SO obvious it is woefully premature to say that what's going on here is implicit bias or explicit bias.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:01 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
I'm curious what's so different about Asians compared to other minorities. I've been looking at Greatschools.org stats and it doesn't matter if it's east coast or west coast, Asians do well at school and follow white stats closely but there's a HUGE disparity with Hispanics and blacks.

In San Diego I noticed a majority Asian school in a mid/low income neighborhood do great (at least on paper) comparable to wealthy majority white areas. In this particular school even the other minorities do higher than state average.
Although looking at other stats, San Diego county seems to be doing good with schools in general. But yeah, why are Asians different and what can we do to improve the school experience/results for other minorities?

Out here on the West Coast Asians do not follow whites academically White's follow Asians academically.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Out here on the West Coast Asians do not follow whites academically White's follow Asians academically.
Some Asians, eastern Asians. Not Filipinos, Hmong, and a view others.

According to J. Philippe Rushton, The University of Western Ontario and Arthur R. Jensen, University of California, Berkeley in Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 2005, Vol. 11, No. 2, 235–294, THIRTY YEARS OF RESEARCH ON RACE, DIFFERENCES IN COGNITIVE ABILITY Ashkenazi Jews have the highest average IQ (110) followed by east Asians (105) followed by whites (100).

Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,160 times
I've also wondered why Asians get such good grades in school. You always hear that parents are strict and pressure their children to get the As. Well, pushing doesn't mean they're guaranteed to get As. A person's brain has limited ability. What happens then?

Like OP said, even in lower income schools where Asian parents can't afford tutoring, Asians are still the ones to get good grades. The only thing I can conclude is that it's genetics?? Their brains are just wired to happen to understand and remember tons of facts on subjects taught in school? Maybe they see that it's a good stereotype to live up to? Who doesn't want to get good grades in school? Maybe they were taught to respect and listen to their elders, and teachers are their elders? I honestly don't know what drives Asians to CARE enough to study.

I'm genuinely curious and am asking as an Asian American whose parents never pressured me and they weren't the stereotypical Asian parents and they didn't teach me anything. I tried my best to get good grades (whether I got them is a different story!) only because I saw that all my fellow Asian American friends were studious and got good grades. Most of the AP and HP classes were all Asians and white with 1-2 each of black and Hispanic.

Last edited by sas318; 08-07-2019 at 04:24 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Their brains are just wired to happen to understand and remember tons of facts on subjects taught in school?

My wife is Asian and is a dental hygienist. I've often had the same question. When she was going to school for her program, she'd sit on the bed, read the material and have it memorized immediately. She almost has a photogenic memory. Testing came easy as a result. So yes much of it is god given.

Plus she prides herself on outworking all of her co workers. Is it a competition? It is in her eyes. I think what sets Asians apart is they have a certain pride that they'll come out number one be it the job, their appearance etc. They set very high standards for themselves.

So brains and high drive are a great example for their success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.