Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times

Advertisements

Unless a county gets an exemption due to inclement weather days (we never qualify), Virginia law prevents us from starting before Labor Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Unless a county gets an exemption due to inclement weather days (we never qualify), Virginia law prevents us from starting before Labor Day.
Michigan has a law that requires school to start after labor day too. My kids and I are so ready to be back in school it's not funny. This part of summer is a waste. I'd much rather have more time off during the school year when we need a breather.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM

137 posts, read 248,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Michigan has a law that requires school to start after labor day too. My kids and I are so ready to be back in school it's not funny. This part of summer is a waste. I'd much rather have more time off during the school year when we need a breather.
After about the middle of August you are almost in denial that it's still summer. By the middle of May you are sick of school. Having breaks throughout the year is nice.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,316,001 times
Quote:
So how does that work? You start after Labor Day like us, but seem to get out so much earlier. Last year the teachers started one week before Labor Day. The students began the day after Labor Day. The students were scheduled to get out on June 19th, but because we had two emergency days not used, they got out on June 15th. Teachers signed out June 20.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
So how does that work? You start after Labor Day like us, but seem to get out so much earlier. Last year the teachers started one week before Labor Day. The students began the day after Labor Day. The students were scheduled to get out on June 19th, but because we had two emergency days not used, they got out on June 15th. Teachers signed out June 20.
We just have a week longer in the summer. The students got out on the 13th and the teachers signed out on the 14th this year.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:10 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Wanna hear something crazy? We start September 10th and finish June 26... If we don't use our emergency days they're added to memorial day weekend (This year we got the 24th-29th off), the last week of school is 1/2 days for elementary & Pre-K students.

This year School started September 7 ended June 9th for H.S and M.S students (they had to go back for testing), and ended June 22.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof2000 View Post
After about the middle of August you are almost in denial that it's still summer. By the middle of May you are sick of school. Having breaks throughout the year is nice.
I agree. I'd, gladly, trade August off for breaks during the year. I'm so burned out by June that I need the first three weeks just to sit on my couch and watch movies. About mid July, I start to stir. By the first of August I'm raring to go but I have four more weeks. I feel like, "Aren't we going back yet?". All of August feels like waiting for school to start. Then when it gets here, I'm lethargic and I have to ramp back up and get back in the swing of things. Right now I really wish I could go to work and bank this time but I can't. 10 weeks off is just too long. Especially since I know that I could use that ime later. I'd much rather start earlier and have three weeks off at the end of each quarter with a 5 week summer break as was described in an earlier post. As things are now, it's all or nothing. We're all on for 38 weeks and then we sit on our butts for 10. Christmas break is nice, we need a mid winter break and spring break isn't long enough to both catch up and have a vacation.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 08-03-2012 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Wanna hear something crazy? We start September 10th and finish June 26... If we don't use our emergency days they're added to memorial day weekend (This year we got the 24th-29th off), the last week of school is 1/2 days for elementary & Pre-K students.

This year School started September 7 ended June 9th for H.S and M.S students (they had to go back for testing), and ended June 22.
We didn't use any of our emergency days last year but they didn't add time off because of that. I think they bank them for years when they need them.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,623,824 times
In North Carolina we have a regular school year and an optional year round school year. Since the optional school is by application only, it is a choice parents make. Pity the poor parents that have a child in each type school!

I liked it when school started the day after Labor Day and finished shortly after Memorial Day. To me that is the traditional school year. Many like the year round schedule since most of our schools have air conditioning. The argument is that children lose so much knowledge over the Summer and the year round school has shorter breaks.

My granddaughter starts into a year round charter school on August 12. It is almost like being in a private school and the public pays the cost. Of course the taxes reflect this in counties that have these charter schools. I have no problem with paying higher taxes so children can get a better education.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
We didn't use any of our emergency days last year but they didn't add time off because of that. I think they bank them for years when they need them.

That would make sense because in the 2010 (I believe) storm that poured on 3.5 feet of snow closed school for 4 days so the 1 day we had left was used as an absolute emergency (like another 3 feet) so I was walking to the bus in an inch of ice and 17 inches of snow.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education