Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
That depends. I've known what I wanted to do for a long, long time (IT). I took a fair number of my comp tech classes in high school, and a few in middle school as well. I based my colleges on technology - it's why I didn't go to a regular 4 year school. I'm in the minority though. There are people from my graduating class that are still wandering around or have no idea.

I think it's based on the parents though. My dad is in IT, and I got the bug from him. He built on it and let me work on it too, so that helped.
You had constant exposure and reinforcement. I see the same thing in my students who have educated and successful parents. However, many of my kids don't. They flounder until they stumble on something. I was one of them. Mom was a waitress, my dad was in skilled trades in the automotive industry and my step dad was in polishing and buffing. I had no idea what I wanted or how education would play out for me when I was in high school and I barely graduated from high school (No real motivation to do any better than just get a diploma). Years later when I decided I needed more education to get a better job, I was a near straight A student. I wish I'd known in high school how education would play a key role in my life but I didn't and even if you'd told me, it wouldn't have motivated me. Now, if my mom had been an engineer....THAT would have been different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 07:32 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,715,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You had constant exposure and reinforcement. I see the same thing in my students who have educated and successful parents. However, many of my kids don't. They flounder until they stumble on something. I was one of them. Mom was a waitress, my dad was in skilled trades in the automotive industry and my step dad was in polishing and buffing. I had no idea what I wanted or how education would play out for me when I was in high school and I barely graduated from high school (No real motivation to do any better than just get a diploma). Years later when I decided I needed more education to get a better job, I was a near straight A student. I wish I'd known in high school how education would play a key role in my life but I didn't and even if you'd told me, it wouldn't have motivated me. Now, if my mom had been an engineer....THAT would have been different.
My mom was like that, she had a number of jobs when I was growing up, settling into accounting and CSR, both of which I detest haha. I hate math, and I paid my dues working on a helpdesk before I moved up and out...I hate it, but have mucho respect for those who do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education