Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
So let's shoot the messengers, eh?
That's not what he said.

He was referring to the constant, grinding, oppressive negativity of some teachers who post here. Which is matched only by a gigantic number of complaints about students. Who apparently don't deserve to be educated. For a number of reasons. And a rather impressive number of gripes about parents. Who are always wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Meh...perhaps they're simply bribing them. And how will you "make sure" your DD is signed up for work study? Wouldnt' that count as "helicopter parenting"?
At some colleges, to qualify for work-study you have to qualify for financial aid. My oldest dd did not qualify at her college, couldn't get any campus jobs. Not to mention, they're supposed to be in college to learn. They can work during the summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That's not what he said.

He was referring to the constant, grinding, oppressive negativity of some teachers who post here. Which is matched only by a gigantic number of complaints about students. Who apparently don't deserve to be educated. For a number of reasons. And a rather impressive number of gripes about parents. Who are always wrong.
I agree. And if you read the BBC quote, it doesn't say the number of college educated in the US is going down. In fact, every stat you read says more are going to college today than ever before, a fact that is often bemoaned by the very same posters who like to tell us over and over again that "not everyone should go to college". Other countries are catching up to us!

@ADA_NC: We are not behind the Chinese!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,522,039 times
It just says the younger generation represents less of a SHARE of the global degree holding population. That doesn't reflect on the young US students, it just means that more people from countries outside the US are going to college these days than they used to, so a smaller percentage are Americans. Besides, whether Americans go to college these days seems to have more to do with their means than their grades. The funding model and the nature of student loans has changed quite a bit.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Meh...perhaps they're simply bribing them. And how will you "make sure" your DD is signed up for work study? Wouldnt' that count as "helicopter parenting"?

I find it extremely strange that my reply to this comment was deleted yet the original was not deleted.

For that reason I will post this again to make sure this person sees it.

It is not being a helicopter parent.. it is simply not giving her daughter money. It is called common sense.

Mods, if you want to delete my threads and call it off topic, how about you delete the original rude post?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
At some colleges, to qualify for work-study you have to qualify for financial aid. My oldest dd did not qualify at her college, couldn't get any campus jobs. Not to mention, they're supposed to be in college to learn. They can work during the summers.

I agree. And if you read the BBC quote, it doesn't say the number of college educated in the US is going down. In fact, every stat you read says more are going to college today than ever before, a fact that is often bemoaned by the very same posters who like to tell us over and over again that "not everyone should go to college". Other countries are catching up to us!

@ADA_NC: We are not behind the Chinese!
Going to college yes, but many are dropping out before completing.

Only 39% of adults 25-34 have college degrees.

Arne Duncan To Report College Completion Rates Rise By Half A Percentage Point

The WH and Dept of Education has set a goal that in 2020 60% of those that enter college will graduate.
Census data showed the completion rate increased only .5%.
New State-by-State College Attainment Numbers Show Progress Toward 2020 Goal | U.S. Department of Education

And now you have a group of people who have no degree but are saddled with a student loan to pay off.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Going to college yes, but many are dropping out before completing.

Only 39% of adults 25-34 have college degrees.

Arne Duncan To Report College Completion Rates Rise By Half A Percentage Point

The WH and Dept of Education has set a goal that in 2020 60% of those that enter college will graduate.
Census data showed the completion rate increased only .5%.
New State-by-State College Attainment Numbers Show Progress Toward 2020 Goal | U.S. Department of Education

And now you have a group of people who have no degree but are saddled with a student loan to pay off.
You are off topic, especially with that last statement. The topic is supposed to be how other countries are catching up with the US in college attainment. Yes, the college completion rate has been about 50% of those who start for decades now.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:42 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are off topic, especially with that last statement. The topic is supposed to be how other countries are catching up with the US in college attainment. Yes, the college completion rate has been about 50% of those who start for decades now.
Actually it's less than 50% and it's been stagnant for years. Yet we have more entering college each year.
I just don't understand why we are pushing everyone on an academic track and pushing them into college.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:08 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I find it extremely strange that my reply to this comment was deleted yet the original was not deleted.

It is not being a helicopter parent.. it is simply not giving her daughter money. It is called common sense.

Mods, if you want to delete my threads and call it off topic, how about you delete the original rude post?
If you don't enable kids, they have to fix it themselves.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,525,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Actually it's less than 50% and it's been stagnant for years. Yet we have more entering college each year.
I just don't understand why we are pushing everyone on an academic track and pushing them into college.
I think you two are talking about different things. The college completion rate is about 50% BUT that only counts the students who start college. Something less than 70% of high school graduates go to college BUT that only counts graduates. Drop outs aren't counted. Last I read, we were hovering around 75% for high school graduation (that's on time, no one counts kids who take longer or get a GED). So, there's about a one in four chance of a student actually getting a college degree and about a 1 in 5 chance of them dropping out of high school (assuming we get to 80% with super seniors)

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
What changed is we started coddling our children. We started blaming the teacher when they failed instead of blaming them for not trying hard enough. As with most thing in life, in education, results are proportional to effort...the STUDENT'S effort NOT the teacher's effort.

What happened? Our kids quit trying because they don't have to try anymore. The results are proportional to their effort. They didn't try as hard as the exiting generation. Period
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If you don't enable kids, they have to fix it themselves.
It wasn't intended to be rude...but it might have been OT....my point was that one can't have it both ways....As a teacher, blame parents for "molly coddling" and doing their child's problem solving, resulting in students inability to figure things out for themselves and then, on the other hand state that, as a parent, you will ensure your child doesn't run out of money by "making sure" they have a job or bribing them for the success that YOU want. Isn't that problem solving for them? Explain to them the need for money, and to what extent (if any) you will financially support them, then let them figure it out. They may very well fall on their face. But it's their own face to fall on.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-15-2012 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education