Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM

527 posts, read 919,733 times

Advertisements

BBC News - End of empire for Western universities?

---**---

[Reference]
Quote:
The U.S. holds close to 26% of the total pool of 255 million tertiary-educated individuals among OECD
and G20 countries with comparable data; China and Japan come in second and third with a 12% and
11.5% share, respectively. However, because of the rapid expansion of tertiary education both in the
industrialized world and in emerging economies, the U.S. is fast losing its advantage
http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/7/32/48685294.pdf

[Reference]
Quote:
Overall, the U.S. still has one of most highly educated labor forces in the OECD area. With 41% of the
adult population having attained a tertiary degree, the U.S. ranks among the top five countries on this
measure, and has over 10 percentage points more of its labor force with this level of education than the
OECD average (30%). But much of this advantage stems from a high educational level among older age
groups.
[Conclusion] Does this mean younger generation is inept towards the benefits of higher education. Beer and football generation (so called gen Y or x) is more bothered about self confidence/cool factor?

One might say.. who cares.. But read below
[Reference]
Quote:
Tertiary education brings substantial economic benefits to individuals. On average across OECD
countries, a person with a tertiary education can expect to earn over 50% more than a person with an
upper secondary education. This premium is 79% in the U.S., among the highest in the OECD area
(ranked 6 of 34 countries with available data) and provides a solid incentive for completing higher levels
of education.

What do we do so that we lag behind Chinese!!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-13-2012 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: removed quotes above copyright limit - link and snippet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
From your post..this should raise a red flag:

"The U.S. is the only country where attainment levels among those just entering the labor market
(25-34 year-olds) do not exceed those about to leave the labor market (55-64 year-olds). "

The question is what changed ? And would we ever admit it and go back to what worked in the past ?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

"The U.S. is the only country where attainment levels among those just entering the labor market
(25-34 year-olds) do not exceed those about to leave the labor market (55-64 year-olds). "

The question is what changed ? And would we ever admit it and go back to what worked in the past ?
What changed is we started coddling our children. We started blaming the teacher when they failed instead of blaming them for not trying hard enough. As with most thing in life, in education, results are proportional to effort...the STUDENT'S effort NOT the teacher's effort.

What happened? Our kids quit trying because they don't have to try anymore. The results are proportional to their effort. They didn't try as hard as the exiting generation. Period.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

i don't see a red flag in any of that statement. both my parents are 62 years of age and fall right in line with the boomer generation who had for many of them first time educational opportunities within their families when compared to their parents and grand parents. you're looking at two groups that are both post war groups and making some kind of weak conclusion that the kids today are on the same level as kids 40 years ago so nothing has changed so we're = failing. stagnation does not always equate to failing. the report itself clearly says the US still outweighs the next 2 countries when combined (China and Japan). it does not however clearly indicate when this is to change.

my point - this chicken little / sky is falling crap about our education system is getting old. i've taught for 8 years now, grew up in a household of lifetime educators (one taught for 40 years another for 35) who taught me one thing - statistics in education are about as useful as a screen door on a battleship. and just about as meaningful as well. it's a wonder i get on here anymore because it's just so freaking negative.

some of you, not naming any names are just such debbie freaking downers and sergeant buzzkills. that's the sad part.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:51 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
some of you, not naming any names are just such debbie freaking downers and sergeant buzzkills. that's the sad part.
So let's shoot the messengers, eh?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesofJackson View Post
So let's shoot the messengers, eh?
That's the usual response when the messenger doesn't tell you what you want to hear.

Some people would rather live with their heads in a hole than actually identify the problems so we can start working on the REAL issues. It's no wonder politicians are able to dupe them into thinking they're actually improving education when they're not. They know they just want to hear good news and positive messages even if they're bold faced lies.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:12 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's the usual response when the messenger doesn't tell you what you want to hear.

Some people would rather live with their heads in a hole than actually identify the problems so we can start working on the REAL issues. It's no wonder politicians are able to dupe them into thinking they're actually improving education when they're not. They know they just want to hear good news and positive messages even if they're bold faced lies.

It won't change. Look at how the parents reacted to the other thread just a little bit ago in the University section. The parents were saying that college age students should be able to "spend their summers how they wish". Seriously, a parent is going to just let their kids sit around and do nothing for an entire summer because they have a vacation?

Our nation is becoming lazy, we're becoming lazy because of weaknesses and a culture of supporting the people who can't hack it and taking away from the ones who actually do work hard and succeed. No one tries had, like you said because they don't have to. There's always going to be someone to bail them out, or someone they can blame for their problems.

I however don't agree that the rest of the world is surpassing the United States, we're just simply beginning to operate at a much more mediocre level.. like the Europeans. Everyone here wants to model our country like the European countries, but look.. we didn't become to most powerful nation in the world by emulating a European country, we did it by doing it OUR way.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It won't change. Look at how the parents reacted to the other thread just a little bit ago in the University section. The parents were saying that college age students should be able to "spend their summers how they wish". Seriously, a parent is going to just let their kids sit around and do nothing for an entire summer because they have a vacation?

Our nation is becoming lazy, we're becoming lazy because of weaknesses and a culture of supporting the people who can't hack it and taking away from the ones who actually do work hard and succeed. No one tries had, like you said because they don't have to. There's always going to be someone to bail them out, or someone they can blame for their problems.

I however don't agree that the rest of the world is surpassing the United States, we're just simply beginning to operate at a much more mediocre level.. like the Europeans. Everyone here wants to model our country like the European countries, but look.. we didn't become to most powerful nation in the world by emulating a European country, we did it by doing it OUR way.
Yup. We can look to Europe to see our future. High unemployment among the young, high rates of kids living at home in their 20's and 30's, unrest and angst. Adult children need to be learning how to be responsible not going on 3 month long vacations at mommy and daddy's expense. Indulging our children is leaving them ill prepared for the responsibilities in the adult world.

I'm pushing my 17 yo to get a job (no luck there but her allowance will be cut off at 18). One thing I will do is make sure she's signed up for work study when she starts college. The girl is going to get a job. Unfortunately, she has friends whose parents coddle them and that's how she thinks it SHOULD be. I've got news for her, she will be broke if she doesn't get a job next summer.

I agree that it will not change. I have no idea why we decided the way to raise our kids was indulging them. On what planet does indulgence lead to productive citizens? It leads to kids living off of you in your basement. (I have nothing against multigenerational households, in fact I think they have some serious benefits, when everyone contributes but the kids living off of their parents is for the birds....oh wait...momma bird pushes her babies out of the nest....) I'm trying to raise my kids different but their peer group sets the standard so it's an uphill battle.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Yup. We can look to Europe to see our future. High unemployment among the young, high rates of kids living at home in their 20's and 30's, unrest and angst. Adult children need to be learning how to be responsible not going on 3 month long vacations at mommy and daddy's expense. Indulging our children is leaving them ill prepared for the responsibilities in the adult world.

I'm pushing my 17 yo to get a job (no luck there but her allowance will be cut off at 18). One thing I will do is make sure she's signed up for work study when she starts college. The girl is going to get a job. Unfortunately, she has friends whose parents coddle them and that's how she thinks it SHOULD be. I've got news for her, she will be broke if she doesn't get a job next summer.

Yeah, the second I turned 15 I was forced to get a job if I wanted to drive. I had to work at McDonalds to buy my car and pay for the insurance. Cell phones were brand new so if I wanted a cell phone I had to work for that too. I find it hilarious when there are ADULTS who are over 23 years old still living on mommy and daddy's paycheck.

In the end though, it gives kids self respect and while they might think they hate it... they actually do like it. I am so happy my parents did what they did and raised me like that. You wouldn't believe how lazy some of these people are that are my age .. makes me sick.

Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Meh...perhaps they're simply bribing them. And how will you "make sure" your DD is signed up for work study? Wouldnt' that count as "helicopter parenting"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education