Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The average teacher in California is paid $69,434, 3rd highest in the nation.

The Ten States That Pay Teachers The Most (And Why It Doesn’t Matter) - 24/7 Wall St.
California out of 50 states is ranked at number 38 in class size numbers. Meaning, CA teachers have a higher per student-teacher ratio than most states. So when you look at it, CA teachers should be paid more for having more students to teach, grade, and test.

Next week, I will see all 34 of my bright eyed fourth graders ready for me to work my miracle on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 01:20 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
At least the teachers are getting off on the furlough days. A few years ago in my district, the administrators asked all employees to take a "furlough" day. Their definition of a "furlough" day was school would be open with the students, we would all have to report to work, but we wouldn't get paid for the day.

Thank goodness the unions shut that one down.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,424,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
At least the teachers are getting off on the furlough days. A few years ago in my district, the administrators asked all employees to take a "furlough" day. Their definition of a "furlough" day was school would be open with the students, we would all have to report to work, but we wouldn't get paid for the day.

Thank goodness the unions shut that one down.
That's crazy. How can anyone legally make anyone go to work, and not pay them for it?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
That's crazy. How can anyone legally make anyone go to work, and not pay them for it?
They did something like that in my former school district. Added three work days to the calendar but didn't change the pay. I'm told that this year they added another week of manditory meetings and work in your school,again, without changing the pay schedule.

And the school board wonders why there were twice the number of resignations as usual this summer.

I'm in Wisconsin where the Governor banned unions a couple of years ago. It has been down hill ever since that time. One of the neighboring large school districts had over one third of the teaching staff resign or take early retirement just this past year!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
California out of 50 states is ranked at number 38 in class size numbers. Meaning, CA teachers have a higher per student-teacher ratio than most states. So when you look at it, CA teachers should be paid more for having more students to teach, grade, and test.

Next week, I will see all 34 of my bright eyed fourth graders ready for me to work my miracle on them.
I'm a product of years in the California public education system... my father taught in a public high school.

Much of what is written today is how California public schools have dropped from near the top nationwide to the bottom over the last 30 years...

The one thing I do not understand is when I was attending grade school in Oakland at the time of California's golden age of public education... my 5th grade class had 52 students and one 63 year old teacher that celebrated her 40th year of teaching the year I was in her class...

Maybe class size is really that important in the overall picture?

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
CA should phase out Prop 13. They should bust or dramatically weaken the CTA too. Let that property tax stay in the local areas instead of letting the state legislators play with it. Oh - and get rid of Proposition 98 too.
Yeah, if you get rid of Prop 13, Prop 98 naturally must die with it.

Property tax rates in California amaze me. My dad in Southern California has been in his house since the 1980s and he is paying an equivalent of 2 mills. His house is worth nearly 3 times ours in Missouri (at one point it was valued at 5x our house) and he pays less than half the property tax.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Yeah, if you get rid of Prop 13, Prop 98 naturally must die with it.

Property tax rates in California amaze me. My dad in Southern California has been in his house since the 1980s and he is paying an equivalent of 2 mills. His house is worth nearly 3 times ours in Missouri (at one point it was valued at 5x our house) and he pays less than half the property tax.
Remember that tax rates vary by location... true, the Statewide rate fixed at 1%. In my City, the effective tax rate is 1.6% of the assessed value which is at least 100k too high and is under appeal.

Almost comparison of tax burden will show California to be one of the highest in the nation...

CA Sales Tax is typically double what my friends in MO pay and we don't have sales tax holidays either...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:29 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Remember that tax rates vary by location... true, the Statewide rate fixed at 1%. In my City, the effective tax rate is 1.6% of the assessed value which is at least 100k too high and is under appeal.

Almost comparison of tax burden will show California to be one of the highest in the nation...

CA Sales Tax is typically double what my friends in MO pay and we don't have sales tax holidays either...
That is not the key half of prop 13. It also fixes the annual amount of increase. Newer home owners pay pretty high rates, but long tenured owners like my dad don't. By comparison the lowest jurisdiction in Missouri is at currently at 5.4% and the highest 7.6%; our property just costs a whole lot less.

But yikes. I didn't know California sales tax had even broken double digits, much less double our rates (which are hovering around 8-9% now). Although, we revoked the exemption for groceries and utilities and are working on revoking the exempt for rent. Not that it is doing any good for our schools either.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
That is not the key half of prop 13. It also fixes the annual amount of increase. Newer home owners pay pretty high rates, but long tenured owners like my dad don't. By comparison the lowest jurisdiction in Missouri is at currently at 5.4% and the highest 7.6%; our property just costs a whole lot less.

But yikes. I didn't know California sales tax had even broken double digits, much less double our rates (which are hovering around 8-9% now). Although, we revoked the exemption for groceries and utilities and are working on revoking the exempt for rent. Not that it is doing any good for our schools either.
I don't want to mislead as it has been a while since I have visited Missouri...

10.75 Percent In Pico Rivera and South Gate are the highest rates I know in California... although, proposals would have put some Bay Area communities over 10%...

The Prop 13 2% inflation factor has been mixed... some areas of the State have consistently outpaced the 2% and other areas, like where I live are much less... so much so that homeowners that bought 5 to 10 years ago or longer in Oakland have Prop 13 calculated assessments much higher then new owners... I know one home that sold for 500k in East Oakland in 2007 later sell for 80k and then again for 160K.

I bought 8 years ago and my home values under Prop 13 are much higher then then people buying today in my neighborhood.

Prop 13 is not perfect... it does provide predictability in taxes and eliminated the corruption by Assessors giving preferential treatment to those of influence... The old way relied on the Assessor's opinion of value whereas Prop 13 uses the actual value at the time ownership changes...

Remember, Prop 13 only establishes a minimum Statewide rate... voters, at least in my city consistently approve additional assessments on everything from Street Lighting, Public Safety Pensions, Schools, Parks, Libraries, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education