Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times

Advertisements

My school year has been already reduced by 5 days without pay, and to have it reduced by 15 more. All I can say is REALLY!!!! Governor Brown has said that if we don't get this tax initiative passed, then he will be forced to cut more spending for our schools where every school district would have to have 15 mandatory furlough days. For me, and most teacher, that is a hefty pay cut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 02:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
California is belly-up, flat busted broke.

If the tax initiative isn't passed a lot more than "just" schools are going to be affected.

Brown is one of the most frugal politicians this country has ever produced. And he's not afraid of being unpopular. I feel for you. I feel even more for your students. But were I you, I'd buckle up.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
They always go for teachers, firemen and police right off the bat when money is short.

From the Governor's office down the chain of command to the teacher, there's no place along that line to cut ?
Sounds like fear mongering.."pass this bill or else there will be no teachers for your kids".

Old 07-18-2012, 05:04 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
My school year has been already reduced by 5 days without pay, and to have it reduced by 15 more. All I can say is REALLY!!!! Governor Brown has said that if we don't get this tax initiative passed, then he will be forced to cut more spending for our schools where every school district would have to have 15 mandatory furlough days. For me, and most teacher, that is a hefty pay cut.
Well, I wouldn't be turning in sub plans for the day that's for sure.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

From the Governor's office down the chain of command to the teacher, there's no place along that line to cut ?
The Governor and other state lawmakers will see their pay cut by 5% as of December 3, 2012.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
California is belly-up, flat busted broke.

If the tax initiative isn't passed a lot more than "just" schools are going to be affected.

Brown is one of the most frugal politicians this country has ever produced. And he's not afraid of being unpopular. I feel for you. I feel even more for your students. But were I you, I'd buckle up.
I agree, and Brown didn't lie when he said that if elected he would have to make some tough decisions. I think that is why he won overwhelmingly over Meg.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
In a school district not too far from us, they have been cutting positions. I think some unpaid days across the board is a better solution.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
What happens to the kids in school with unpaid days ?
Do teachers treat it like a day off and submit sub work ?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Are these mandatory furlough days that the regular teacher is off but the students attend with a substitute teacher? Or are these days that both teachers AND students have off? Or do the teachers work but just don't get paid for that day? Do administrators also have unpaid days (they should have a lot of unpaid days, considering how much money they earn)?

Last year our local school district added three days to the teachers school year but didn't change the pay so it was the same as working those three days without being paid. A lot of teachers were unhappy but without a union they couldn't do anything about it.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Are these mandatory furlough days that the regular teacher is off but the students attend with a substitute teacher? Or are these days that both teachers AND students have off? Or do the teachers work but just don't get paid for that day? Do administrators also have unpaid days (they should have a lot of unpaid days, considering how much money they earn)?

Last year our local school district added three days to the teachers school year but didn't change the pay so it was the same as working those three days without being paid. A lot of teachers were unhappy but without a union they couldn't do anything about it.
Heck no. Furlough means, teachers don't work and get paid on those days, and students don't come to school on those days. The district decides when those days are on the calendar. Most school districts stretch the days through out the school year, some put them at the end, meaning shorter school year for the teacher without pay, and lost instructional days for the students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education