Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 08:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It's also largely not cost effective to sew, period...or to crochet, knit, other textile-related home arts, for that matter. I sew and crochet as a hobby, but there is no way that it's a money-saving thing. I can buy an already-made afghan at Target cheaper than I can buy just the yarn alone to make one, and that's even using cheap yarn...quality fiber will cost even more. The fabric for a dress, tablecloth, set of curtains, or placemat/napkin set is more costly than purchasing said items already made. It's fun to make my own, but it's not especially frugal.

At any rate, sewing can be easily learned by sitting down with a machine, a book, some fabric remants, and a seamripper, and practicing.
Yes, it's different than it used to be, before all our clothes were made in China, Viet Nam, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Should students be required to take this class?
Mid 2000's and I was finishing up middle school, we had classes like wood shop, home ec, theatre and art.

Kids should definitely take home ec, no matter what gender. We went over sewing, other crafts, cooking and how to write a check/balance a checkbook. Though sewing and other crafts aren't too important, cooking and money are essential.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
To those who are against Sewing as a required subject (for at least some of high school)- I can honestly say that I've found it useful in my day to day life. My husband is in the Marine Corps and the number of times I've needed to hem something, sew a torn pocket, sew name tapes on, sew buttons on etc is insane. It has DEFINITELY made me thankful for my sewing classes no matter how simple these tasks may seem. Having a bit of background makes repairing his uniforms a lot less daunting!

Also, I wear a lot of vintage and vintage style clothing so I'm constantly making repairs to my own stuff rather than throw it away. Additionally, DH doesn't ever, ever wear tshirts or shorts unless he's working out (he only wears button up shirts, jeans and long pants as far as civilian clothing goes) so his nice button ups aren't 'throw away' clothing either- they definitely end up in the mending bin if anything happens to them, not the trash!

Everyone should know at least the basics of sewing.

Those who've said we live in a throw away generation are spot on.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:59 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
To those who are against Sewing as a required subject (for at least some of high school)- I can honestly say that I've found it useful in my day to day life. My husband is in the Marine Corps and the number of times I've needed to hem something, sew a torn pocket, sew name tapes on, sew buttons on etc is insane. It has DEFINITELY made me thankful for my sewing classes no matter how simple these tasks may seem. Having a bit of background makes repairing his uniforms a lot less daunting!

Also, I wear a lot of vintage and vintage style clothing so I'm constantly making repairs to my own stuff rather than throw it away. Additionally, DH doesn't ever, ever wear tshirts or shorts unless he's working out (he only wears button up shirts, jeans and long pants as far as civilian clothing goes) so his nice button ups aren't 'throw away' clothing either- they definitely end up in the mending bin if anything happens to them, not the trash!

Everyone should know at least the basics of sewing.

Those who've said we live in a throw away generation are spot on.
And you needed a semester long class to learn how to do that? To sew on a pocket? or button?

Sewing is a useful skill, so is knowing how to swim, or how to light a fire. We do not expect the schools to teach those skills, but some how sewing is something that has to be taught in academic setting?

Given the sheer EASE of learning any skill through the use of the internet these days it is silly to make skills based course REQUIRED. Offer them, make them an elective, and don't make EVERYONE waste half a school year learning it.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:41 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I mend stuff all the time (because even costly apparel is often stitched in an inferior manner). I don't think that school curriculum is necessarily required to learn that particular skill, though. It's fairly easily self-taught.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
And you needed a semester long class to learn how to do that? To sew on a pocket? or button?

Sewing is a useful skill, so is knowing how to swim, or how to light a fire. We do not expect the schools to teach those skills, but some how sewing is something that has to be taught in academic setting?

Given the sheer EASE of learning any skill through the use of the internet these days it is silly to make skills based course REQUIRED. Offer them, make them an elective, and don't make EVERYONE waste half a school year learning it.
Agreed! I mean, really, no one's parents taught them how to sew on a button? For really complicated sewing, you need to take some lessons, I think, and you need to practice, practice, practice. I used to do a lot of it. That's how I got proficient.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:14 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
I like how our school district does it in middle school. The curriculum includes sewing as well as cooking, baking and nutrition. I think it's done just two or three times a week for one semester. I think all of those things along are extremely useful. I wouldn't want them to be mandatory in HS, but works well for MS.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:02 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
In basic, required home arts-type classes, for the few places where they may be required vs. elective, it's more likely that they are survey courses...just providing exposure/an introduction to different skills.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
In basic, required home arts-type classes, for the few places where they may be required vs. elective, it's more likely that they are survey courses...just providing exposure/an introduction to different skills.
Exactly! I could already sew when I took my first home ec class in 7th grade. I learned little, if anything new. I may have learned slightly different ways to do the same thing, but that's all. We made an apron.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
In the late 50s/early 60s girls had to take home ec--

I hated it but the cooking part did help me. Everyone needs to know how to make food and not everyone gets taught at home. My mother never taught me very much so I'm glad I had it in school.

Sewing--hated it and it isn't as useful as it was back then. People today usually don't have much time for sewing and you can buy clothing for cheaper than you can make it.

Finance--we had some in 6th grade, such as learning about interest rates, banking, how you pay more if you're charged interest. People need to know these things. We also learned about being skeptical of advertising--if something is too good to be true, it probably is NOT true. Also, what is the advertiser trying to tell you? What kind of psychology are they using on you? We had to do class reports--I remember mine was the Maytag repairman.

As a girl I wanted to also take woodworking but it was only allowed for boys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education