Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:55 PM

45,367 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Is this a public or private school and what level?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Is this a public or private school and what level?
If you are asking me, it's a public elementary school in the mountain west. I'll let you know about the middle and high school tomorrow.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
If you are asking me, it's a public elementary school in the mountain west.

Thanks. I didn't want to quote your whole post.

I've heard of fee in lieu of fundraiser at private schools. I've never heard of being charged for music or language classes at any school. That's why I was curious.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:27 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
If you are asking me, it's a public elementary school in the mountain west. I'll let you know about the middle and high school tomorrow.
Wow. That seems like a lot. Our students don't pay extra for planners or music. They're not required to do fundraising either.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Thanks. I didn't want to quote your whole post.

I've heard of fee in lieu of fundraiser at private schools. I've never heard of being charged for music or language classes at any school. That's why I was curious.
General music for elementary students is part of the regular curriculum. Choir and band are extra-curricular and have associated fees. At the middle school level, music is a required elective. Language classes are available, but not required. Both are offered as part of the regular curriculum at no extra cost to parents, with the exception of musical instruments, which students must rent or buy. In high school, language is a required elective and has no associated fees.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-16-2012 at 03:21 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 02:35 PM

Fees for extra-curriculars have been around, in some areas, since I was in high school 40+ years ago. We had uniform fees for sports and Band and shop fees for shop classes.

The only fund raising I remember was UNICEF and then in high school for the Prom. The fund raising at all levels is a big change over the years and the sad thing is that many times it's for materials that historically were considered school supplied materials.

I just remembered we did a fund raiser for Band uniforms.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM

Does anybody else remember covering text books, so they could be used for several years? Despite my youngest using consumable workbooks for every subject, I have yet to encounter a book fee. The $125 pledge I make helps pay our staff of para-professionals. My middle-schooler and high-schooler access e-texts on the computer.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Wow. That seems like a lot. Our students don't pay extra for planners or music. They're not required to do fundraising either.
We do not pay extra for general music classes. Band is extra-curricular in elementary school. Although it is held on school grounds, the director is not a district employee and charges for his time.

The planner is published to the district's specifications and is considerably less expensive than any comparable item available on the market. As for the pledge, I'm not required to pay the $125, but I'm happy to do so, because the money pays for our staff of para-professionals. Without that pledge, the total for my youngest to attend public school would come to a whopping $26.00, all of which is school supplies. I think that's a pretty sweet deal.

Consider yourself very fortunate if you have escaped the fall wrapping paper/butter braid/magazine fund-raising bonanza.

Last edited by randomparent; 08-16-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If the kids got vouchers for a set amount of dollars, schools would open that would charge the amount of the voucher with all included if that's what the market demanded and if they couldn't or they stunk, they would close, not be a bottomless money pit.
Not likely. It takes money to start a school and that would not be covered by the vouchers. They would need supplies and they would need staff besides teachers.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:22 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
We do not pay extra for general music classes. Band is extra-curricular in elementary school. Although it is held on school grounds, the director is not a district employee and charges for his time.

The planner is published to the district's specifications and is considerably less expensive than any comparable item available on the market. As for the pledge, I'm not required to pay the $125, but I'm happy to do so, because the money pays for our staff of para-professionals. Without that pledge, the total for my youngest to attend public school would come to a whopping $26.00, all of which is school supplies. I think that's a pretty sweet deal.

Consider yourself very fortunate if you have escaped the fall wrapping paper/butter braid/magazine fund-raising bonanza.
Band, strings and chorus in our elementary schools don't cost extra (except for renting/buying the instrument). The school provides the planner and quite a few other materials (writing journals, folders, some school supplies). I understood the $125 pledge was optional, but I thought it was in lieu of doing the fundraising. Our para-professionals (aka instructional assistants) are contracted by the school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education