Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:39 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The vast majority are not.

A small proportion are "this nightmarish".

Unfortunately, the "nightmarish" ones take up a disproportionate amount of your time. So it seems like they are more common than they are.
I agree. 80% of my parent contact time will be spent on a hand full of parents who can't be pleased. Sadly, sometimes that means I'm not in contact with parents who I should be. I only have so much time for parent contacts per day. The school prefers phone calls to emails (considered too impersonal). I wish they didn't because it is so easy for me to shoot a quick email when I'm entering grades vs. waiting until I have time at school (I don't make calls from home as I don't want my number out there and my dd is a student at the school so it would be awkward talking about her classmates.), when parents might actually be home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our district is set up so the teachers cna put most of this stuff on the internet. We have a passcode for a thing called parent connect. If we want to know what is turned in or not, what assigmenets are during absences etc. we supposedly can get all that onlie. Unfortunately they did not teach the teachers how to use it or requrie them to update it daily so only a few teachers actually use it.
Same here. If work was missed for any reason, we were told to refer to their website. But, they didn't have it updated. My ds literally begged for the assignments when he was out sick for a week. they just kept telling him to go to the website, but the website hadn't been updated for at least a month. Then, when I went to school and asked for his homework, I was told to "butt out" essentially. It was HIS responsibility to get the homework! When I pointed out their marvelous website wasn't updated, I was told I was lying. Great school! They treated DS and us like pieces of dirt!

Old 08-24-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Same here. If work was missed for any reason, we were told to refer to their website. But, they didn't have it updated. My ds literally begged for the assignments when he was out sick for a week. they just kept telling him to go to the website, but the website hadn't been updated for at least a month. Then, when I went to school and asked for his homework, I was told to "butt out" essentially. It was HIS responsibility to get the homework! When I pointed out their marvelous website wasn't updated, I was told I was lying. Great school! They treated DS and us like pieces of dirt!
Wow. What a bad experience.

Keeping sites updated can be a stretch at times. Especially grade book programs because there's a lag between when things are due and when they get graded and the grades inputted into the system. Something I'm going to try this year (I don't know if I picked it up here or another teacher told me about it) is to go through the stack of papers turned in and enter a 1 if it's turned in and a zero if it's not. Then delete the 1 and note that the zeros are not turned in. At least, that way, a red flag will go up that something was not turned in. That way if something was due on Monday the parents can see on Tuesday that the assignment is missing.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,284,305 times
Our system has gone to a completely digital system. All assignments are done through a computer program and turned in digitally.

When I informed my students that the computer would tell me who did or did not do their work, they had a sick look on their faces. I elaborated that there would be no "I left it at home" or "I did it, it just didn't come through" as the computer program could show who had attempted and who had not.

They looked like they were going to throw up when they figured out they could not lie about doing their work.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey teach View Post
Our system has gone to a completely digital system. All assignments are done through a computer program and turned in digitally.

When I informed my students that the computer would tell me who did or did not do their work, they had a sick look on their faces. I elaborated that there would be no "I left it at home" or "I did it, it just didn't come through" as the computer program could show who had attempted and who had not.

They looked like they were going to throw up when they figured out they could not lie about doing their work.
I would LOVE this. No more students telling me I lost their papers or they did turn it in on time and *I* somehow mixed it in with the late papers. Every year I have 2-3 students whose papers I "lose" all year long. That digital time stamp would be WONDERFUL to have.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM

155 posts, read 347,797 times
I just couldn't help respond to this semi-stale thread. I have seen fellow teachers deal with lost homework in different ways. One teacher I know would walk around to each student, gradebook in hand, while the students were working on their anticipatory set. He would ask each student individually for their homework. If they didn't have it, he'd enter a "0" in the gradebook right there on the spot.

As for myself, I got so tired of being accused of losing homework that one day I went out and bought a heavy duty stapler. After collecting the homework, I stood up in front of the class - homework in one hand and stapler in the other. I stapled the stack of homework together, looked out at the students and said, "If I lose one, I lose them all." I continued that for a week. I never heard another word about me losing homework.

As for work packets when students go on vacation, I thought everyone might enjoy reading an email I received several years ago:
Dear Mr. Tgauchsin,

I am so sorry, we really messed up. We bought nonrefundable plane tickets for a two week vacation in Hawaii during the week of finals. We mistakenly thought school ended the previous week. Is it possible that we could obtain a copy of your final? We would like Johnny to take it in Hawaii at the same time as his classmates?

Sincerely,
Mrs. Clueless
After cleaning the coffee off of my monitor from my spit-take, I hit reply and answered with a one word response:
No.

Last edited by tgauchsin; 04-25-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 02:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I've gone to some teacher websites (now in April) and still see their original August post of "Welcome back to school".
Now the schools pretty much push the teachers to have websites but it ends there.
Most teachers seem to drop it by Oct/Nov. Few, if any, keep them updated regularly.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:10 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Another one not on the list: "My daughter says she doesn't understand the material and can't get help." It always boils down to one of four things--1. She needs to come to class consistently 2. She needs to ask for help 3. She needs to get off that cellphone during class 4. She needs to take notes while there

I had a kid the other day who accused me of losing her entire semester's worth of work. I'm in ELL content support and kids come to me for help with assignments and for the entire semester she got away with telling the teacher she was coming to me for help but went elsewhere instead. I only found out about it when the teacher emailed and asked me where her assignments were--seems I was supposed to have them but I'd misplaced them all. Nice try kid and there's one that might not graduate and it won't break my heart.

OTOH, I know some teachers do lose tests. I went to bat for one of my Hispanic girls last year when the teacher lost not one, but two of her tests and he insisted she'd not showed up for class on either of those days. I had him check the computer anyway and sure enough, she had been there. He never could explain how it was that a student was in his class and not taking a test w/o him noticing. Twice. She jumped thru all of his hoops, and they were many, but she still got a D for all of her hard work and I had the feeling he didn't like Spanish speakers.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

OTOH, I know some teachers do lose tests. I went to bat for one of my Hispanic girls last year when the teacher lost not one, but two of her tests and he insisted she'd not showed up for class on either of those days. I had him check the computer anyway and sure enough, she had been there. He never could explain how it was that a student was in his class and not taking a test w/o him noticing. Twice. She jumped thru all of his hoops, and they were many, but she still got a D for all of her hard work and I had the feeling he didn't like Spanish speakers.
Are you sure she turned her test in? I do think it is odd that he insisted she was not there, but... I have known kids to walk out after a test without turning it in because they thought they had failed it.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
OTOH, I know some teachers do lose tests. I went to bat for one of my Hispanic girls last year when the teacher lost not one, but two of her tests and he insisted she'd not showed up for class on either of those days. I had him check the computer anyway and sure enough, she had been there. He never could explain how it was that a student was in his class and not taking a test w/o him noticing. Twice.
There are teachers that don't really take attendance. They pull up the attendance program and just hit send, instead of comparing what the roster says and who's actually there, like they are supposed to. The kids figure out who those teachers are at some point in the school year. Either way, he's in the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education