Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Are you sure she turned her test in? I do think it is odd that he insisted she was not there, but... I have known kids to walk out after a test without turning it in because they thought they had failed it.
No, I could never be sure of that as I came on the scene after it happened but it did seem suspicious that he lost the two tests that she took before I came and never lost any after he knew I was watching. He also had policies that excluded her from being successful in his class, like requiring them to write out their study guides in ink, using full sentences, and perfect grammar/spelling. The girl barely knew English but he would not back off on this (think older and extremely rigid and controlling). I helped her jump thru his hoops by telling her exactly what to write and then proofreading and helped her study for tests and I know she turned everything in but she still got a D. I feel very strongly that this was a case of racism but that's hard to prove and admin was already on it anyway due to other complaints. But yes I know what you mean--I've had them get away with tests in hand too and it's easy to have it happen in the mad crush for the door.

About the racism though--our school is a hard school to work at if you are one b/c it's about 40% white, 40% black, and 20% other races with the predominant one being Hispanic and our ELL program is quite large. Counselors were instructed to not put our kids in this man's class but sometimes they did it anyway and it always caused a problem unless they had more advanced English skills. So maybe his intolerance is for those who don't speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM

298 posts, read 332,849 times
I think "Why do you give so much homework?" is a fine thing to say.

If a teacher gives 2 hours of homework every night, if all 6 teachers gave 2 hours of homework per night, that's half a day right there.

Add in 6 hours for sleep and 6 hours to go to school and that's the whole day. That doesn't count eating or doing anything for yourself.

But most teachers don't care about the child. They only care about them.

I also think that the estimate for homework time is a joke.

Maybe it was because I had all honors level classes, but freshman year of high school, 6 hours of homework was normal. 90 minutes? LOL! That was a rarity.

But I think the comment about telling your boss you couldn't do your job because you were busy with trombone lessons is only slightly exaggerated.

A happier employee is better than an annoyed employee. If it's a case where hours could be switched, I think it makes much more sense for the boss to make the accommodations.

As for the comment about "bullying," I think we need to change the approach most adults use.

For example, yes, I think the notion of whispering behind someone's back is wrong, but we should say something like, "Don't say anything in private that you wouldn't say to their face."

But if the child then goes up to the other girl and calls her fat, we should allow that.

The distinction I make is between e-mail and spam. Even if you really hate someone, it's perfectly acceptable to write an e-mail and tell them how you feel. No one could fault you for that.

But if you sent them 300 e-mails about how much you hate them, we would call that spam.

That's sort of how we should treat "bullying." If you want to call someone ugly...it might be mean, but she shouldn't get in trouble for it. But if she sits in the cafeteria and waits for the girl every day to call her mean, then that's spam and shouldn't be tolerated.

It's also far more possible to actually enforce those standards. Something that happens everyday is probably well-known amongst most of the school. If you want to police the students to punish every little insult, you're never going to catch everything.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:49 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
For example, yes, I think the notion of whispering behind someone's back is wrong, but we should say something like, "Don't say anything in private that you wouldn't say to their face."

But if the child then goes up to the other girl and calls her fat, we should allow that.

The distinction I make is between e-mail and spam. Even if you really hate someone, it's perfectly acceptable to write an e-mail and tell them how you feel. No one could fault you for that.
Uhm.... Wow.

I really, really, really do not think it is okay to send an email telling someone you hate them. It accomplishes nothing, other than making a bad situation worse. I also will never be okay with a kid calling another kid fat. It serves no purpose other than to hurt the other person.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM

298 posts, read 332,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Uhm.... Wow.

I really, really, really do not think it is okay to send an email telling someone you hate them. It accomplishes nothing, other than making a bad situation worse. I also will never be okay with a kid calling another kid fat. It serves no purpose other than to hurt the other person.

I'm not saying you SHOULD do it, but you should have that right.

What's better? A kid telling another kid, straight to his face, that he is fat or the kid whispering it behind the other's back?

I know you want to say neither, but that's not really an attainable goal.

You're asking 3rd graders to be adults. If they were adults, they wouldn't need supervision in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education