Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,460,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sixy* View Post
I agree...we had an issue with my oldest about his grades for one class (middle school). He's a straight A student with excellent work habits and he was receiving zeros and "incomplete work" on assiments as grades in the computer system. I told the teacher I was concerned because this was very uncharacteristic of him. She responded saying he was irresponsible, talked too much in class and demonstrated poor work ethic and habits. So we set up an appointment with the teacher, my child and the principal.

It turned out that there was another child in his class with the same last name and she was getting them mixed up (this was 7 weeks into the quarter). I never did get an apology from her either but at least the issue was resolved.
Did they have the same first name too? We use both names when recording grades. I, frequently, have kids with the same last name but it's not a problem if they have different first names and actually use their first names.

I did have an issue last year with two girls who had the same last name and neither went by her given name and the names they went by fit each others given name better than their own. I had to make it a point to stop and think "Which girl is this?" when I put grades in. It would be very nice if parents would have their child's name, officially, changed to the one they use in school records. I have a few students every year who go by different first names. I had one, a few years back, who didn't use either his given first or last name. It's hard enough learning names without issues like this.

I'm surprised that the same last name would cause an issue if the first names were different and both kids went by their given names or a nickname that fits their given name. It's when Gregory goes by Chuck that gets me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 03:48 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,093,798 times
Heh, how strange: this article also shows up as trending on my Facebook page.

I have to say, it's lists like these that make me hesitant about seeking teacher certification. Becoming a teacher has been something I've thought about for years.

Are parents really this nightmarish?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:10 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,460,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Heh, how strange: this article also shows up as trending on my Facebook page.

I have to say, it's lists like these that make me hesitant about seeking teacher certification. Becoming a teacher has been something I've thought about for years.

Are parents really this nightmarish?
Some are.

At my first parent teacher confernece, upon learning that I used to be an engineer, a dad raised an eyebrow and stated/asked "OH....couldn't cut it in the real world, could you?"

Every year, I have 4 or 5 parents accuse me of losing their child's work. A couple of them will conclude, before the year is over, that other students who don't like their child must be stealing their work.

Every year I will have a dozen requests for homework packets to kids can go on vacation. Every year the same parents will complain when their child doesn't do well on the test that "They weren't there to learn that material." as if that excuses them.

When I worked at the charter school, I used to have parents thank me. I'm in a wealthy area now and I'm just the hired help. I get the impression they don't thank the hired help unless you do something way above and beyond. Then you get hollow recognitions. (From my charter school days, I have a drawer of letters and trinkets the kids wrote/picked out for me that have meaning. I really wish charter school conditions and pay weren't so bad. In many ways, it's a nicer environment to work in. For one, more parents appreciate what you do, vs, just expecting you to jump through hoops for their child.)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,093,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Some are.

At my first parent teacher confernece, upon learning that I used to be an engineer, a dad raised an eyebrow and stated/asked "OH....couldn't cut it in the real world, could you?"

Every year, I have 4 or 5 parents accuse me of losing their child's work. A couple of them will conclude, before the year is over, that other students who don't like their child must be stealing their work.

Every year I will have a dozen requests for homework packets to kids can go on vacation. Every year the same parents will complain when their child doesn't do well on the test that "They weren't there to learn that material." as if that excuses them.

When I worked at the charter school, I used to have parents thank me. I'm in a wealthy area now and I'm just the hired help. I get the impression they don't thank the hired help unless you do something way above and beyond. Then you get hollow recognitions. (From my charter school days, I have a drawer of letters and trinkets the kids wrote/picked out for me that have meaning. I really wish charter school conditions and pay weren't so bad. In many ways, it's a nicer environment to work in. For one, more parents appreciate what you do, vs, just expecting you to jump through hoops for their child.)
How did you respond to the father's question?

Are there standard responses or school positions that teachers can use as a sort of back up when parents jump down their throat? I noticed upthread that someone mentioned his/her school has a policy that doesn't allow parents to get homework in advance in the event of a vacation/absence. I'd imagine this depends wildly on the district and state, of course.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:31 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,157,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, what one person thinks is a joke, the other may think is totally serious. It happens here on CD! I think it's a good idea to can the humor in these situations.
Don't you think it would have been more appropriate for the teacher to contact me immediately when she was "offended" by my comment rather than take it out on a little kid for months?

Old 08-23-2012, 05:37 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,037,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Did they have the same first name too? We use both names when recording grades. I, frequently, have kids with the same last name but it's not a problem if they have different first names and actually use their first names.

I'm surprised that the same last name would cause an issue if the first names were different and both kids went by their given names or a nickname that fits their given name. It's when Gregory goes by Chuck that gets me.
Nope, different first names. He received one paper back that was graded before this was all resolved. My child clearly wrote his name on the back and she had crossed his name out and wrote in the other childs name.

The other child doesn't go by his given name. He uses a different first name, so I think that just added to the confusion. Instead of having 2 Smiths in her class, she now had 3...not really, but she had to learn that Bob Smith went by Dave Smith and then realize that there was also a Joe Smith. Of course those are not their real names, but used as an example.

They mail report cards home at the end of the school year, and we actually got his and my son's in the mail this year. They were both addressed "To the parent of Joe Smith" but when I opened the first one, it was for this other boy.

She just said "these things happen, there are a lot of names and faces to learn"...which I understand. However I felt bad that I received a negative verbal report for another child and that I viewed his report card. That was none of my business and we know the family so I felt really awkward afterwards.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 08-23-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 AM

Ivorytickler,

Quote:
Every year, I have 4 or 5 parents accuse me of losing their child's work.
Interesting. One year, my daughter's AP World History teacher required the students to prepare a paper over the summer before class began. About a month into the new school year, my daughter was told she received a 'B' on the paper, while approx. 10 of the other students were awarded 'A's'. She asked the teacher to return the paper so she could see what she was marked down for and the teacher told her she couldn't return it because she "lost" it. I called up the teacher (who btw, had a PhD) and asked her to explain. She told me she was out on her boat and had brought the papers along to grade when one packet fell into the water. Since she was unable to read them, she gave all of those students 'B's. I told her that was very unfair, that she should either give all the students 'A's or not count the grade at all. She agreed, but it was not a good way to start off the new year.

Quote:
May I ask what state you teach in? Are teachers in your charter schools unionized? Are you a union member in the wealthy area where you are now employed?

Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,451,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Don't you think it would have been more appropriate for the teacher to contact me immediately when she was "offended" by my comment rather than take it out on a little kid for months?
I think the teacher handled the situation poorly, but I still stand by what I said about "humor".

Old 08-23-2012, 08:09 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,048,795 times
[quote=MatildaLoo;25766538]Heh, how strange: this article also shows up as trending on my Facebook page.

Are parents really this nightmarish?[/quote]

Yes, some of them are!

Although, it is hard to give percentages about 80 to 85% of my student's parents were perfectly normal, typical parents with acceptable behavior, 5 to 10% were outstanding to deal with and extra thankful or extra nice, 9% were difficult and 1% were (as another C-Der wrote) bat shyt crazy.

To give examples of bat shyt crazy I have had several parents over the years where the office/principal either had to call the police or threaten to call the police because the parent's behavior had crossed the line to threatening or attempting physical violence towards me or other teachers/staff.

Eighteen years after dealing with a particularily difficult parent I still sit in restaurants facing the door in case she comes after me, or others, with a gun. Just this last Monday I met several teachers at McDonalds and got a little anxious because there were two entrances and large glass windows and it was hard to find a place to sit where I could see who was coming inside before they saw me. And I had her daughter 18 years ago! BTW other teachers/therapists who had to deal with this "parent in denial" have told me that they also scan the crowd to make sure that this mom isn't around them.

I taught young special education students. Typically I was the first teacher to test and have to inform the parents that their child had special needs. Some parents were in deep denial and did not take the news well. These parents could be extremely difficult to work with on a day to day basis.

I am now retired but if I had to do it again I would still become a teacher.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Eighteen years after dealing with a particularily difficult parent I still sit in restaurants facing the door in case she comes after me, or others, with a gun
Please forgive my cynicism, but was this particular parent arrested 18 years prior for threatening you or others with a gun? If yes, I would think you would have had grounds to get a restraining order put in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education