Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM

101 posts, read 352,150 times

Advertisements

A young relative of mine keeps getting lots of "D"s on his report card. Right now his High School GPA is about 1.4 (D+). He is not failing but gets all D's and C's He just does the minimum and thinks it is all a big joke and can't wait till he graduates and can move out and get a great job. (His words not mine!)

He is English as a first language, and has a relatively high IQ, just lazy.

In the year 2012 does the typical High School have a minimum GPA to graduate? (I remember college had a 2.0 requirement to graduate)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 04:21 PM

44,874 posts, read 59,846,876 times
In most cases passing means just that and a "D" is a passing grade. By passing the class he has fulfilled the typical State requirement for graduation.

I've seen kids graduate with less than a 1.0 since their 0 was not factored out when they re-took the class and passed it, with a D.

Keep in mind that for some kids a "D" is an "A".

Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,529,261 times
I wanna know what great job he thinks he's gonna get! Graduation requirements should be on the district website.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,276,082 times
J&B your son sounds a lot like me at his age. In New Jersey I found out all you needed was 100 credits including 4 years of Gym, 4 of English, and 2 of History. A "D" is passing and yep, you get as much credit as an "A", in terms of whether or not you get your diploma. I was accepted into college on the strength of my SAT scores alone, I believe, and completely slacked off the 2nd half of my senior year. I was ranked 305 out of 360 when I graduated.

I spent my only year at college partying, so that was a waste of my parents' money. After not getting a dream job, I went to night school to learn computer programming at the age of 23, and almost 30 years later that's what I still do. It pays the bills and allows me to support my family in a middle class lifestyle.

So if your son is bright like you say, he will propably land on his feet somehow but he will not follow the path you dreamed of! College is not for everyone, but he may even start college when he's 20, 22, or later instead of 18.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:08 AM

52 posts, read 132,339 times
High school students in Florida must have a minimum of a 2.0 GPA in order to graduate. They also have to pass the FCAT.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:55 PM

37,032 posts, read 41,953,569 times
Both my kids slacked at some point in HS and each had GPA's of 1.2 and 1.3 on a report card once but brought the overall GPA up to 3.0 by graduation. They both improved on that in college too so don't give up hope. One boy I know wasn't even sure he would graduate HS until the last day of class (he did, by the skin of his teeth!) and messed around with odd jobs and girls for a couple of years then took ONE class at a CC and got an A. That's really all it took to turn him around, a little time to mature and some self confidence.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 AM

308 posts, read 893,594 times
I was extremely lazy in highschool and got ****ty grades.

I turned things around in college and had a 3.0 GPA. In my masters program I had a 3.6 GPA.

there is hope, as long as you know that the person is just truly lazy, i.e. not mentally challenged.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:56 PM

26,678 posts, read 41,509,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobless and Broke View Post
A young relative of mine keeps getting lots of "D"s on his report card. Right now his High School GPA is about 1.4 (D+). He is not failing but gets all D's and C's He just does the minimum and thinks it is all a big joke and can't wait till he graduates and can move out and get a great job. (His words not mine!)

He is English as a first language, and has a relatively high IQ, just lazy.

In the year 2012 does the typical High School have a minimum GPA to graduate? (I remember college had a 2.0 requirement to graduate)
In Virginia, a D is considered a passing grade and nothing in the state's graduation requirements mentions GPA just credits. I knew a few guys who had below 2.0 GPAs and could not tell you what 2 + 2 was but still got their diplomas.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 21,020 times
My son was failing as a freshman. Was allowed to take tutoring at the outreach music program at UCBerkeley so he could continue there instead of going to summer school.
His sophomore year he was still doing poorly, but he had an exceptional biology teacher and he enjoyed it very much. He took his SAT II in bio that summer and missed exactly one question. (780) He started getting B-C the junior year. He went into Independent Studies his final year. He got straight A's.
He was accepted into UCBerkeley as a freshman in ecological science. Although he ended up going to Berklee College of Music (you've heard/seen him if you ever watch or listen to pop music or award shows), he was proof of the adage that the first two years (or even anything but the last year?) don't really count if you can make a great finish!

Old 06-28-2017, 06:59 PM

5,508 posts, read 8,687,962 times
Anybody can get a D in class and pass. But most states require an exit exam of some sort. In New York they're called Regents Exams and you could be a straight A student, but if you flunk your Regent's you don't graduate. That's pretty much the case everywhere now, though the exit exams vary in difficulty according to the state.

Still, this kid the OP talks about is basically smart but lazy. That's not a good combination for school or for life. I hope he snaps out of it soon. When he does, he'll basically be OK though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education