Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 08:42 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Sounds like you should pick a school for your kids to attend that requires teachers to never drink. Those schools are out there. I would definitely recommend you find one.
Why? I don't care if my kids' teachers drink. I've already said that.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
You don't care that they drink, but admit it, you care that they drink in front of your kids. In their neighborhood at a function where the other adults are drinking.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:49 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
I thought you said that it "set a bad example"?
Is the problem really that you just don't like/want to associate with your kids' teachers? You've said several times that where you were from, you didn't live close to them. Is it difficult for you to live around them?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Teacher Conduct 1915

Shocking! Was she also hanging out in ice cream stores? Outside of her home after 8 pm?

Old 09-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You don't care that they drink, but admit it, you care that they drink in front of your kids. In their neighborhood at a function where the other adults are drinking.
Honestly, it wasn't the biggest deal in the world. Two weeks ago I saw her drinking a few beers at the neighborhood block party. I asked my husband, "do you think it's strange that's she's drinking in front of her students?" He said, "no" and that was the end of it. I didn't give it another thought until today when I stopped in at the school and saw her and remembered. So I came on C-D here because I was curious what other teachers do in that kind of situation - when they're hanging out with kids and their parents outside of school hours or what other parents thought. Clearly, no one thinks it's a big deal. And I'm not losing any sleep over it. I don't care if my kids' teachers drink and it's not a big deal if they see their teachers drink at a once-per-year block party. If I were a teacher, I probably would choose not to drink in front of my students, but I'm not a drinker, so I really don't know.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:01 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Honestly, it wasn't the biggest deal in the world. Two weeks ago I saw her drinking a few beers at the neighborhood block party. I asked my husband, "do you think it's strange that's she's drinking in front of her students?" He said, "no" and that was the end of it. I didn't give it another thought until today when I stopped in at the school and saw her and remembered. So I came on C-D here because I was curious what other teachers do in that kind of situation - when they're hanging out with kids and their parents outside of school hours or what other parents thought. Clearly, no one thinks it's a big deal. And I'm not losing any sleep over it. I don't care if my kids' teachers drink and it's not a big deal if they see their teachers drink at a once-per-year block party. If I were a teacher, I probably would choose not to drink in front of my students, but I'm not a drinker, so I really don't know.
I would choose to drink in front of them. Drinking near home where you don't need to drive. Drinking a moderate amount. It seems that it would be a great way to set a good example in responsible drinking.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I thought you said that it "set a bad example"?
Is the problem really that you just don't like/want to associate with your kids' teachers? You've said several times that where you were from, you didn't live close to them. Is it difficult for you to live around them?
I don't mind associating with them. I've just always had a parent/teacher relationship with my kids' teachers, not a personal one, so it is a new experience for me. A lot of the parents in the neighborhood are chummy with some of the teachers, so much so, that their kids aren't usually assigned to them.

I lived in metropolitan DC before so I rarely ran into anyone twice. Most of my kids' teachers didn't live in the same town as the school, so it was a non-issue. If I did run into one of them and they were drinking I wouldn't think twice about it. But it was also unlikely to happen. But here, you're right that it's not logical for her to stop drinking in her own neighborhood. I tend to be one who separates my personal life from my professional life, but I never lived where I worked. In this small town, it's clearly different, and I'm just getting used to it. That's why I asked what others thought.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Teacher Conduct 1915

Shocking! Was she also hanging out in ice cream stores? Outside of her home after 8 pm?
Ha! That's funny. Maybe I was born in the wrong century.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's fine. One of the best lessons kids learn in life is that there is a difference between being a child and being an adult. It's sometimes a little odd seeing someone outside what you consider their natural environment, like when I see my Dr at a restaurant or something, but that's just how it is.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:13 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
I'm curious what people's thoughts are about this as I've never socialized with my kids' teachers before. Now we live in a neighborhood that includes the elementary school, and a few teachers live there, as well. We were recently at a block party and my 2nd grader's teacher was drinking beer. I was somewhat surprised because many of her current and former students were there. I tend to be straight-laced, so maybe I was off-base thinking it wasn't appropriate. What is the norm in this type of situation?
I read down the page and see more what was going on. I am like you in that we do not consume alcoholic beverages and as a rule we would not let our children go to homes where alcohol was consumed. A block party is a different thing and evidently this teacher was probably brought up in a home where this is normal. Our children knew to let us know when they visited a home and the parents drank alcoholic beverages and all together playtimes with those children were at our home beyond that time. I am sure if this were in our neighborhood, this would be our last block party. Alcoholic beverages should not be served when children are present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education