Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Kids need to be accounted for and supervised at all times.
They need to be accounted for and supervised at all times. They can still learn how to plan their bathroom breaks without having to leave class to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And you know what's funny..in college they all seem to be able to sit through 50 minute classes.
When, just a few months earlier, 50% of the class couldn't sit for 40 minutes without having to go to the bathroom.
In college, one doesn't have a day of back to back classes.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:38 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Side question: What is a reasonable number of passer per hour to write? What is a reasonable number of passes for each student to request in one week?

Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?
Yes kids need to be allowed to use the restrooms at school. If there has been issues with the kids using rest rooms for things other than relieving themselves, then the school should be aware of it and place hall monitors near the bathrooms to be sure these kids are going in, doing their thing and coming right out. I am not talking about some big, huge guy standing outside the bathrooms, just someone who can monitor the activity in those areas. Kids should sign out of class and note what time it is when they do sign out and the teacher needs to keep track of how long they are gone. If things get out of control and the kid is gone to long, that is when the hall monitor takes over.

When I was in Junior High, we use to have a woman named "Mrs Rona" who would sit inside the girls bathroom on a different floor every day. If we needed feminine supplies, she had a key and would open the dispensers for us and give us what we needed. She made sure the bathrooms were clean, no one raised hell in there and if we were sick or needed anything, she was there for us. It was kind of nice to have an older woman around to help with those things. She also didn't take kindly to any kind of fighting among the girls, bad language, lingering unnecessarily..etc.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Yes kids need to be allowed to use the restrooms at school. If there has been issues with the kids using rest rooms for things other than relieving themselves, then the school should be aware of it and place hall monitors near the bathrooms to be sure these kids are going in, doing their thing and coming right out. I am not talking about some big, huge guy standing outside the bathrooms, just someone who can monitor the activity in those areas. Kids should sign out of class and note what time it is when they do sign out and the teacher needs to keep track of how long they are gone. If things get out of control and the kid is gone to long, that is when the hall monitor takes over.

When I was in Junior High, we use to have a woman named "Mrs Rona" who would sit inside the girls bathroom on a different floor every day. If we needed feminine supplies, she had a key and would open the dispensers for us and give us what we needed. She made sure the bathrooms were clean, no one raised hell in there and if we were sick or needed anything, she was there for us. It was kind of nice to have an older woman around to help with those things. She also didn't take kindly to any kind of fighting among the girls, bad language, lingering unnecessarily..etc.

Budget cutbacks have increased class size in our district from around 25 to over 30. Where is the money going to come from to pay hall monitors? Or do you want to have teachers paid $30+/hour to watch the halls and lose their planning time? That's what our school does at the beginning and end of the school year. I think it's a poor use of taxpayer funds.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
In college, one doesn't have a day of back to back classes.
And neither do you in 6-12. You get so many minutes between classes, lunch, recess, free periods.
Students do not enter a room at 8am and stay in that room until 3:30pm.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
And neither do you in 6-12. You get so many minutes between classes, lunch, recess, free periods.
My son is in 6th grade, he has 2 minutes between classes! If he uses the restroom he will be tardy for the next class. There are no free periods for him or anyone in his school since it is grades 6-8. Lunch and recess is a controlled environment they can not just go to the bathroom if they want, they still need a pass and I do not think kids (or anyone else) can train their bladder or bowels only to be used at 12:30. If a particular child has been abusing bathroom priveleges, deal with that child. To not allow children the use of the bathroom as a generally rule is just not right!

Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
My son is in 6th grade, he has 2 minutes between classes! If he uses the restroom he will be tardy for the next class. There are no free periods for him or anyone in his school since it is grades 6-8. Lunch and recess is a controlled environment they can not just go to the bathroom if they want, they still need a pass and I do not think kids (or anyone else) can train their bladder or bowels only to be used at 12:30. If a particular child has been abusing bathroom priveleges, deal with that child. To not allow children the use of the bathroom as a generally rule is just not right!
Given your son's school situation, can he go to the bathroom whenever he wants ?
Different schools have different rules.

The school I'm at has 4 minutes between classes and during recess/lunch they are free to go but have to ask and only one out at a time. 7th and 8th graders have free periods; they have to report to a room but are free to ask to use the bathroom.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:22 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I've seen kids pee on themselves because teacher's tell them no, so what's your opinion?
That is part of the skill set required to teach. Being able to tell who needs to go and who really needs to go from who just wants out. Many teachers are good at it and patterns will emerge and with staff in the hall and now with camereras and in some schools a sign out system patterns and observations are possible. The A student who rarely asks and needs to go is easy. The failing student needing to always go needs his medical records checked or a parent contacted and if no medical reason that is easier to say no to. I am not sure how many adults go on time schedule of when they can go and when they can't and you don't need to be a mathmetician to count the number of bath stall/urinals in a building and divide it by the number of kids and come up with a ratio. That being said there are no where near enough restrooms for kids needing to go between class and still get to their next class on time. Come to think of if how many places other than school do you need to ask permission to pee?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
Quote:
I teach in a larger high school (2 floors, 3 different wings of 2 floors) with over 600 kids. Our students have 3 minutes passing time. We have a 21 minute lunch. Our 1st bell rings at 8:00 am and the last bell rings at 3:35 pm.

Shy students who have been berated before for asking to use the restroom do, indeed, enter a classroom at 8am and don't have a pee-break until 11:45am, with 21 minutes to pee, stand in a long lunch line, eat lunch, then back to class.

I know one student who quits drinking anything at 7:30am, and has nothing to drink until school is out. How sad and unhealthy is that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education