Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 36,381 times

Advertisements

It depends on the severity of the situation in my middle/high school.

The school once were put under lockdown because two girls brawled.

Sometimes, students are given 3-day suspensions.

Sometimes, students just give a slap on the wrist.

There has been a few occasions when it was just two students playing. One time, I left the room after two students looked as if they were going to fight with no teacher present, I returned with a resourse officer. A few weeks ago, half of the students at lunch walked towards the near center of the cafeteria (and some stood on chairs), it was most likely students just playing around. It happened again a few days later. Again, two students were most likely talking and caused confusion with the students and safety aides in the cafeteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,680,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Even in lily white school districts, kids fight. What do they do to 2 kids who got into a brawl? In Catholic school, I saw that they got to stay, especially if rich Mommy and Daddy greased palms. In one case, a teacher slugged a priest who taught science. He got to stay. Not much of a collegiate career, but he became a cop. At my second HS, not as highbrow, it was not tolerated. There was quite an exodus at the end of junior year to public school for people who did not measure up for benchmarks in citizenship.

I'm also curious if 2 people where involved in a physical fight in college? It could happen, though I haven't seen it. How is it typically addressed? Is the transcript affected? I mean, this has nothing to do with academic performance?

Any first-hand experience or knowledge?
There has not been a fight in my high school in 5 years. Before that it was almost ten.

The "fight" happened during touch football and someone got a little too rough. One person popped the other one and that was it. The one who punched the other one got 2 days of ISS.

In college, it is clearly assault between two adults. Not the schools place to deal with it, that is for the cops.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,131,916 times
3 days out of school suspension for both parties if it is deemed "mutual combat". My 9th grader just got sucker punched and didn't fight back, he got nothing and the attacker got 3 days out of school. My 9th grader got a 5 day out of school for saying a curse word in class.....go figure.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:53 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,317,100 times
In our middle school, I am fairly certain the h.s. is the same: zero tolerance to both parties, minimum week's suspension. Parents have the option to appeal before the school board at a later date and at that time the suspension may be taken off the school records.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,294,179 times
I know at my high school, it depended on severity. A scuffle might end up getting the kids suspended for a week and possibly re-assigned to "in-school suspension" (basically they're at school doing schoolwork but are isolated as punishment) for a few days.

A serious fight, especially if anyone gets hurt, probably means arrest and/or re-assignment to the "alternative" school for at least a semester. This is what happened to both parties after a fight in my gym class where one of them ended up with a broken nose. Although it probably wasn't their first offense.

Our school security guard had a taser, which was used to break up a fight at least twice during my time in high school.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,831,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
At our high school, fighters generally get arrested, especially if there are more than two people fighting. The students are restrained by the security guards, the police are called, and the kids go out handcuffed in a police car.
That's how it was at my high school as well. In my parents' day, kids would get into fights, maybe get a Saturday detention or be suspended for a few days, and that would be that. The kids would probably become friends later on.

Now charges are pressed and the parents threaten to sue each other.

Quote:
Our school security guard had a taser, which was used to break up a fight at least twice during my time in high school.
They're TASING kids who get into fist fights now? Wow.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:51 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,806,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Even in lily white school districts, kids fight. What do they do to 2 kids who got into a brawl? In Catholic school, I saw that they got to stay, especially if rich Mommy and Daddy greased palms. In one case, a teacher slugged a priest who taught science. He got to stay. Not much of a collegiate career, but he became a cop. At my second HS, not as highbrow, it was not tolerated. There was quite an exodus at the end of junior year to public school for people who did not measure up for benchmarks in citizenship.

I'm also curious if 2 people where involved in a physical fight in college? It could happen, though I haven't seen it. How is it typically addressed? Is the transcript affected? I mean, this has nothing to do with academic performance?

Any first-hand experience or knowledge?
In my late 1970s/early 1980s Southern Baptist high school the technique used to deal with fighting was to have sanctioned boxing sessions between antagonists. It was done after school with proper gloves and head gear. Adults supervising. We have very little fighting as the fights were public and no one wanted to be known as chicken or weak(in losing) as the fights were fair and there could be no excuses.

Bullies were dealt with as any bully was challenged to the point of fatigue by others.

Last edited by Felix C; 12-29-2012 at 04:01 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 05:52 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,294,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They're TASING kids who get into fist fights now? Wow.
They're warned first and it's a last resort, it's not like the guy just runs up and zaps them. "Kid" is a loosely applied term in this case, some of these are big dudes that are able to resist efforts by the officer and other teachers to separate them. My theatre teacher was hit in the face trying to break up a fight, but our assistant principal (former college football player) was able to break that one up with no tasing involved.

As for the college question, I doubt there's anything in the rules laying out any kind of suspension, but Campus PD might become involved. Honestly I've never witnessed an actual "fight" at my college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education