Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,752 times

Advertisements

I am looking forward to the alien invasion when humanoids from another planet swoop down on us and enslave the planet. But, unlike the movies, no heros like Spiderman or the Fantastic 4 will come to our rescue. Why, because in the end, their software anti-virus programs are stronger and smarter than anything we can come up with. Sorry, Independence Day lovers, we are toast!

Why, look at the state of education in the world today. Education is not universal if it was then children in China and Guatemala would be in school learning academic subjects instead of slaving in sweatshops. In the United States the school day would be everyday and not for six months of the year. In Africa, school houses would be used for teaching people that differences make things interesting, not the reason for slaughtering others. In Arabia, instead of teaching children how to hate Jews, and praising Nazism, schools would be teaching children how the Koran preaches getting along with neighbors.

Space invaders will be sweeping down on us like flies on honey. The end result will be our destruction or complete rehabilitation at their hands. Why, because the reason they were able to cross tens of thousands of light years of space is because of their education and ability to get along to work for something common like their own sense of civilization, something we are not ready to do, yet.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:30 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcurmudgeon View Post
I am looking forward to the alien invasion when humanoids from another planet swoop down on us and enslave the planet. But, unlike the movies, no heros like Spiderman or the Fantastic 4 will come to our rescue. Why, because in the end, their software anti-virus programs are stronger and smarter than anything we can come up with. Sorry, Independence Day lovers, we are toast!

Why, look at the state of education in the world today. Education is not universal if it was then children in China and Guatemala would be in school learning academic subjects instead of slaving in sweatshops. In the United States the school day would be everyday and not for six months of the year. In Africa, school houses would be used for teaching people that differences make things interesting, not the reason for slaughtering others. In Arabia, instead of teaching children how to hate Jews, and praising Nazism, schools would be teaching children how the Koran preaches getting along with neighbors.

Space invaders will be sweeping down on us like flies on honey. The end result will be our destruction or complete rehabilitation at their hands. Why, because the reason they were able to cross tens of thousands of light years of space is because of their education and ability to get along to work for something common like their own sense of civilization, something we are not ready to do, yet.
makes sense. but i thought the saucer people in san francisco were pretty militant so i moved down here.
but what you said was true.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-07-2007, 12:31 AM

1,677 posts, read 6,453,800 times
Kids DON"T need to go to school every day! That is like saying you should work every day! There is more to life than school! personally I would take my kids out of school every fall for Hunting season so they can have some real life skills! Enjoy and understand Nature and see how the Circle of life really works, and not Disneys version.

Want to improve education in America? Eliminate Tenure! That way if the teacher is no good you can replace them with ones that are doing a good job and actually educate and get through to them and not just taking up space. In conjunction with this you also have to reinstill Dicipline in the schools. Stop teaching your personal beliefs and give them the facts unbiased and teach them to make up their own minds on issues that face the Nation and world. Make thinkers of them.
Ban all electronics from schools till they can do it with a pencil and paper! They need to understand the big picture and process , not what buttons to push on a calculator to get a desired answer with out understanding what each button actually does.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,260,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcurmudgeon View Post

I disagree with you completely. Hard to believe our education is horrible considering that there are so many people coming here to further their education. We have full elementary schools full of illegal aliens, all getting educations at our expenses..

Colleges are full of individuals full from other countries all here to become doctors, etc..

Old 10-07-2007, 12:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,388,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I disagree with you completely. Hard to believe our education is horrible considering that there are so many people coming here to further their education. We have full elementary schools full of illegal aliens, all getting educations at our expenses..

Colleges are full of individuals full from other countries all here to become doctors, etc..
He agrees with you. He just takes it a step further and alerts us to be ready to absorb space aliens, similarly seeking enlightenment, though he notes that they largely may be "special needs" students.

Old 10-08-2007, 01:19 PM

268 posts, read 1,017,176 times
It amazes me the number of people who think that education in America is horrible yet give no REAL options on how to fix it.
I have a great idea....why don't parents stop using the public education system as a babysitting service for them? Why don't they help with homework at night or give a care as to what their children are learning?
I know that there are alot of great parents doing an excellent job, but then there is a huge population of self absorbed parents who just want the schools to teach them everything about life. Why should the schools have to teach character education? Isn't this something that should be taught at home from birth? Many parents don't even give "the talk" anymore b/c they know the schools with do it.
I agree that the educational system needs help, but Americans all have a responsibility to children...not just schools.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:36 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,106,913 times
I think the problem with education is everyone feels entitled.

If they eliminated all the troublemakers and time wasters (certain students) and made going to school a privilege to be earned, kids would learn more. If you have kids who act up, bully or just cause problems they should be evaluated and then sent to work for a few weeks at minimal pay jobs to teach them the value of 'learning.' I bet most of them would be begging to go back to 6 hours of book learning after scrubbing toilets or hauling rocks or mopping floors 8-10 hours a day.

Secondly, the teachers have to be take off tenure as another poster said. There are too many bad teachers cruising by with last year's or the last 6 years lesson plans, tests, whatever. These ancient ones (not all but many) are just not up on proper teaching for the year 2007. My son's kindergarten teacher (he only had her one day till I yanked him out of her class) was a sadistic, evil woman who really should have had her teaching license revoked. The kids she 'psychologically' damaged must be half a page long.

Good teachers should be rewarded somehow, perhaps with bonuses.

Eliminate these 'no child left behind' standards. All that does is add stress to both teacher and student to 'pass tests.'

PS I was a former teacher so I understand both sides.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,828,033 times
My take on the american education system is based on the fact that I was educated in ireland and am living in the usa now and also have two children going to school.

It feels like the teachers are getting no respect from the students, that they give up, and also streamlining children that obviously have problems into regular classes is going to upset the teacher and other children so much that nobody can get anywhere. How is it possible to teach a class of maybe 22 2nd graders, have two or three of them with problems, maybe have one that has an aide, and take control of that class without disciplining the children. I am not saying we need to go back to corporal punishement or anything like that, but the children need to know they cannot do or say whatever they want.
Most teachers are wonderful ; my boys are in 2nd and 3rd grade. So far I have only come across one teacher that was horrible. All the others have been wonderful.
d

Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,183,871 times
There are so many factors be considered in how to improve education. Just like any other occupation there are good and bad teachers. Yes, it might help if tenure were eliminated and you were kept because of job performance. But then you would have to help the teachers by dealing with the children with behavior problems or the children who need more specialized help than one teacher with 28 children can give.

In the time I substituted and considered going into teaching, I found that although I enjoyed working with the majority of the children the few that were a problem were enough to make me think twice. Then there was the lack of support from the administration and the parents. Most of the rules and regulations serve to give the teachers very little power or autonomy yet if something goes wrong they are the ones who are blamed.

It is no wonder that we lose so many good teachers each year. And what is left, are either the die hards (not enough of them, teachers who are good and want to make a diffence) , teachers close to retirement or the teachers who just want to coast along.

If you really want to get an idea of what is wrong with the education system and what can be done to correct it , teach for a year or so. Then you can speak with some authority or at least sympathy for all sides.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,501,821 times
I'm a teacher and a parent, so I too can look at both sides. There are too many things wrong, like with many professions.

Yes, we do have to weed out the teachers that are horrible-met quite a few, but if we got rid of tenure...that would jeopardize the good teachers-like me

Then the teachers have to not be held accountable for things beyond their control.

But through it all....we need more home support. More parental involvement-in a supportive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.