Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
What about teachers who are great performers when they are observed but are lazy and cranky the rest of the time?
Isn't this an issue with anyone who is observed for evaluation purposes?

This is why many states require evaluations that are done numerous times, and a certain number must be announced observations that the teacher knows are coming and can plan for, and a certain number are random, drop-in observations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:24 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Isn't this an issue with anyone who is observed for evaluation purposes?

This is why many states require evaluations that are done numerous times, and a certain number must be announced observations that the teacher knows are coming and can plan for, and a certain number are random, drop-in observations.
The school districts that I'm familiar with in Pennsylvania observe new teachers 2-4 times a year and experience (tenured) teachers 1-2 times a year. Over 99% of Pennsylvania teachers are rated satisfactory. I know of one teacher who has been rated unsatisfactory at least once. He is still teaching and not doing a very good job. He has no lesson plans and no discipline in his classes.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,599,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
They would not have to be administrators. I think they absolutely should not be administrators. Either you use existing teachers and rotate (which would mean one extra teacher per department) or you hire third-party reviewers from other districts, again people who are experienced subject matter experts. In that case, they are third party contractors. The latter is probably actually cheaper as you would not be paying full benefits.
Most states have laws or regulations regarding who can evaluate teachers and have that evaluation be a part of the teacher's file for use in regards to whether to rehire or not. Most states require those evaluators to have administration degrees.

Evaluating teachers? I'm not sure how to do it. Colorado is in the final stages of adopting a new method to evaluating teachers. I don't like it. There is a section on the evaluation that rates teachers on whether or not they participate in issues in education at the local/regional/state/and national level. Seriously? How does that make me an effective teacher?

Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I absolutely agree, but I know what my district would do. They look for any reason to hire administrators.

Still, hiring one extra teacher per department would be expensive.
So true- admins love hiring admins.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
Most states have laws or regulations regarding who can evaluate teachers and have that evaluation be a part of the teacher's file for use in regards to whether to rehire or not. Most states require those evaluators to have administration degrees.

Evaluating teachers? I'm not sure how to do it. Colorado is in the final stages of adopting a new method to evaluating teachers. I don't like it. There is a section on the evaluation that rates teachers on whether or not they participate in issues in education at the local/regional/state/and national level. Seriously? How does that make me an effective teacher?
Well we could I suppose evaluate their numbers. ratio of chest to waist to hips. But I am not sure what that has to do with teaching.

We can and apparently do take a random check on whether or not their classroom is under control. Again not sure what that has to do with learning.

Given that nobody has any idea that makes any real sense perhaps we would have the teachers pick straws from a bag? Long straws get tenure and raises...short straws get laid off?

From what appears that is pretty much what we do. Bad teachers with tenure become permanent. Great but junior teachers get laid off.

And so far I am unaware of anyone proposing a better system.

And then we have charters where those who won't deal with the system demonstrate they can do less well for more money..

Education really is an odd business.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

A teacher evaluation system that works - YouTube

Old 10-15-2012, 10:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times

Teacher Evaluation Using The Danielson Framework - YouTube

Charlotte Danielsons 22 Components of Great Teaching - YouTube

Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,765,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
It makes them think about how teaching is evolving and find or even drive the next big pedagogical change.
Participating in state and national level issues in geography is considered a critical part of my profession, and is actually mandatory to receive and maintain certification. This is common in many professional fields.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:10 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Very interesting video...thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:11 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Interesting but hardly game changing.

How do the those evaluating arrive at a conclusion? Against what standard?

It is interesting that the PAR committee is a mechanism that actually allows the improvement of teachers and the removal of those unsuited...but against what standard? Perhaps much better than nothing but that is a pretty weak standard.

The use of a consulting teacher is at a cost. Does the consulting teacher provide sufficient gain to overcome the perhaps two or three less students per class that could be paid for with the same money? How does one decide?

The devastating thing about the LA Times work and other Added Value Research is that it strongly indicates that the effective teachers are not known in their community or the supervising community. That would of course raise great questions about any system using observation. Against what standard?

There is an interesting dispute on the LA Times work. But the dispute is really that a better model would give a somewhat different answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education