Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post
I also take issue with the fact that 25% of my evaluation is based on the growth a student makes in literacy and math, yet I do not TEACH those subjects. If students in my school do well on our state testing, my score will go up. However, if they do not, even though I did not have a hand in teaching the children math, science, or reading, my overall score will go down. Even students that move in a week before testing, the teachers will be held responsible for their test scores.
Interestingly, I think that music teachers do teach literacy and math. While you are not teaching reading, you should certainly incorporate reading about music into your teaching. Also, reading music involves some of the same skills that literacy involves. If you are on a team, your team leader should be giving you things you can do in your classroom that promote this.

As for math, while you are not teaching *all* math skills, music especially reading music involves recognizing fractional notes. Also, the frequencies of the sounds are mathematically based. Again, while you are not directly teaching math, there are math skills involved in teaching music.

I would like to see teams that integrate reading, math and music
I would like to see teams that integrate reading, math and art.

Our high school English classes were Humanities classes and music and art were brought into the classroom. Our math classes, especially geometry brought in art (though not music).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education