Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times

Advertisements

Speaking hypothetically, of course, but let's assume for this post that I discovered the class ranks of two children in eighth grade in one of the best thought of public school districts in the St. Louis area.

On a 4.0 scale, one has a cumulative GPA of 3.838 and is in the 71st percentile of his class and the other has a GPA of 3.461 and is in the 38th percentile of his class.

Does this seem completely out of whack or not unusual at all?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Doesn't it depend on the size of the class? As an aside, I would strongly suggest not worrying about GPA with an 8th grader.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Doesn't it depend on the size of the class? As an aside, I would strongly suggest not worrying about GPA with an 8th grader.
class size is 185.

I'm not too worried about it, but it just seems out of whack.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:01 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
If it's a magnet school, I wouldn't think it odd. If it is a regular public school, even in a very good district, it seems like the grades are too high and that the GPAs you posted should be a higher percentile.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
If it's a magnet school, I wouldn't think it odd. If it is a regular public school, even in a very good district, it seems like the grades are too high and that the GPAs you posted should be a higher percentile.
It is not a magnate school. It is a regular public middle school in one of the better thought of St. Louis suburban districts.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Could be testing anomalies. Some kids test better, or worse, than others for a variety of reasons. Classroom grades are usually made up of several components of which tests are just one.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Speaking hypothetically, of course, but let's assume for this post that I discovered the class ranks of two children in eighth grade in one of the best thought of public school districts in the St. Louis area.

On a 4.0 scale, one has a cumulative GPA of 3.838 and is in the 71st percentile of his class and the other has a GPA of 3.461 and is in the 38th percentile of his class.

Just curious.
It seems a little out of whack. Especially the lower GPA. It seems unusual that a child with a B average would be in the 38th percentile.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Only 38% of students have a GPA below 3.461?! A 3.461 is between a B+ and A-, not a B, so that seems like a pretty high GPA (assuming a rigorous curriculum), but he is in the BOTTOM HALF half of his class.

I have heard a lot about grade inflation in college -- didn't know it had trickled down to middle school too.

(As an aside, when I was in grad school I taught an undergraduate Medical Sociology class -- almost everyone in it was premed, and they ALL believed that they deserved an A in the class. I had to keep reminding them that an A is supposed to be for EXCEPTIONAL work, and not all of them could be exceptional. They seemed to think that just doing the bare minimum meant that they should get an A.)

Old 10-19-2012, 03:33 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post

Just curious.

Do you mean class rank or percentile scores? What are the percentile scores based on? Standardized test scores? Which one(s)? Percentile scores typically rank a student against a large national sample rather than a local school district's population. I can see the general population of a high-achieving district having students whose percentile scores are skewed to the right, even though the GPAs on coursework are lower due to the more challenging local norms.

I think some important information is missing. Either that, or I'm using a different definition of percentile.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,291,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have heard a lot about grade inflation in college -- didn't know it had trickled down to middle school too.
I think it went the other way.

When I taught middle school (starting in the mid-90s), many students and parents seemed to think A stood for Average and B stood for Bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education