Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Your School Open or Closed for Election Day?
Open 27 50.94%
Closed 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times

Advertisements

We are in session, but all staff has been given the option of leaving early (as soon as the kids leave at 3:15, vs. the usual hours) to better facilitate voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
I plan on leaving school and voting during a break in conferences, probably around 9:45 or so. It's less than a mile from my building. Our polling place is at my wife's school, so it's very convenient for her.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In Maryland public schools are closed. The are used as polling places. It's not like we have a test in Local, State and National Government required for graduation or anything.
My kids' school is a polling place, however, school goes on. Voters who have kids in the school are encouraged to get their kid and take them along. Voting is in the library. Most of the library is available for the kids to use.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:28 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,663 times
Schools are open.

In the Dallas area, many schools are polling places, but the polling area is kept separate and the schools remain open.

I can't imagine closing schools for voting. Most students aren't eligible to vote.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Schools are open.

In the Dallas area, many schools are polling places, but the polling area is kept separate and the schools remain open.

I can't imagine closing schools for voting. Most students aren't eligible to vote.
I can't imagine all these people having to take their kids with them to the polling places. It seems that it would be an impediment to orderly voting. Not everybody can get a babysitter, especially when so many people would need one all at the same time.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Schools are open.

I agree, I don't know why schools would be closed on election day. When I went to school they were always open. The voting machines were set up near the front entrances. 18 or 19 year old high school students could vote before or after school, if the school was their polling place. If my memory is correct, they were not allowed to vote during school hours.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I can't imagine all these people having to take their kids with them to the polling places. It seems that it would be an impediment to orderly voting. Not everybody can get a babysitter, especially when so many people would need one all at the same time.
I took mine with me for many years. Then, when the polling place was their ele school, we'd get them out of class to go with us, as the school suggested. There were no problems. I don't understand why you think it would be a problem.

526 posts, read 898,551 times
years ago State offices closes to give employees EIGHT HOURS off to vote. actually, probably lost voters since people used the day off for other activities.

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
My parents always took us with them when they voted. Our polling place through my entire childhood was a fire station. They went after work, and we went with. It instilled in me a sense of the importance of voting.

Where I live, now, I've had schools as my polling place, twice, and they were never closed. For tomorrow, my polling place is a Unitarian church.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
I can still remember my parents taking me with them to vote when I was like seven years old. I guess I probably thought it was interesting. It was a small town and the polling place was in the city hall. There was no lines and they were done in a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education