Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times

Advertisements

I think you're worrying about it too much. If you make sure your student goes to the best schools, has the best private tutors, coaches and extra-curricular teachers... the chances of them getting funded through college is slim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 04:07 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell2525 View Post
Thanks for the comment.

I am confused a bit here. Why would I be screwing my kids over by not paying their college tuition? We make combined income over $123K a year.

I am not understanding why I have to pay kids tuition. My mom didn't pay my tuition, not even gas money. I got a loan and I am paying it off now. I am even doubling payments to reduce interest.

Thanks for any comments.
It is certainly your choice but consider that the student loans you got were a lot cheaper than what is offered today and the costs are much higher so it is a significantly higher expense for a kid to go to and finance it out for the next 30 years.

Why saddle the kid with huge debt so early in life?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,670,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildnFree View Post
I used the FinAid to get me through and then paid my way at the end. However some of my co-workers had parents to pay their way. Must be nice and I would have more money at the end of the month if I didn't have the loans. Not the end of the world though.
Same here man. I paid my own way through college, I wouldn't dare ask my mom for money for school. That's my job, not her job. My wife thinks the same thing. We teach our kids responsibility of their academics and we made it absolutely clear that mommy and daddy probably will not be paying for your college.

With that being said, if they get get to 11 grade and they making good grades and showing responsibility, then i will think about paying for 1 or 2 year of tuition. But if they assing around with facebook and making C and stuff and not being on top of their game, its a no deal. I love them dearly, but I want pay for college if my child making bad grades I don't approve of. They can get loan and work just like I did and I turned out just fine.

I just wanted to make sure my income want prevent them from getting a student loan.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
It is certainly your choice but consider that the student loans you got were a lot cheaper than what is offered today and the costs are much higher so it is a significantly higher expense for a kid to go to and finance it out for the next 30 years.

Why saddle the kid with huge debt so early in life?
Good comment. There is a flip side to this as well. I knew kids in college that was pissing the parents money off too. some was dropping classes, changing degree plans every one year and making bad grades as well. Its not about me giving them hugh debt, its about them showing and proving they got their mind right, before daddy take his hard earn money and put towards their college future. So, I will get back to this subject once they get to 11 grade and I can evaluate what they wanna to do.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Thanks for the comment.

I am confused a bit here. Why would I be screwing my kids over by not paying their college tuition? We make combined income over $123K a year.

I am not understanding why I have to pay kids tuition. My mom didn't pay my tuition, not even gas money. I got a loan and I am paying it off now. I am even doubling payments to reduce interest.

Thanks for any comments.
Because that $123k you make will be considered when calculating how much financial aid your kid will get, and in what form that aid will be given. Like I said, it may not be fair, but that's how it is.
Quote:
Only if said "child" remains a Dependant.
Which they most likely will unless they get married or have a kid or something. It is not as simple as not declaring them on your taxes.

Dependency Status | Federal Student Aid

Old 11-25-2012, 04:18 PM

If I start with 529 savings plan now, does this money have to go the kids college? Can I change my mind after high school graduation?

Old 11-25-2012, 04:26 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
If I start with 529 savings plan now, does this money have to go the kids college? Can I change my mind after high school graduation?
Sure you can change your mind. You get hit with income taxes and a penalty, but you're not forced to spend the money on education.

An Introduction to 529 Plans

Old 11-25-2012, 04:27 PM

881 posts, read 2,092,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Which they most likely will unless they get married or have a kid or something. It is not as simple as not declaring them on your taxes.Dependency Status | Federal Student Aid
Deals only w/subsidized loans, which, IIRC, a given institution can decide to grant anyway. FWIW, I know there's a diff between the IRS & DoEd rules.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Deals only w/subsidized loans, which, IIRC, a given institution can decide to grant anyway. FWIW, I know there's a diff between the IRS & DoEd rules.
The vast majority of schools use the FAFSA to determine whether a student is dependent or independent regarding financial aid. Unfortunately for the OP her children will probably not qualify for much federal aid other than unsubsidized loans if she makes $123K (or more).

Old 11-25-2012, 04:40 PM

How much will college cost in about 6 years? About $40k. My daughter is now in the 6th grade.

I may be better for me to start saving now for this college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education