Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
For every one of these success stories, there are 10 examples of those who were never taught how to handle their own money wisely, and get mired in debt and come back to mom and dad for "help". I've seen this so often, it makes me sick. How can someone in their 40s and 50's still rely on their parents for help because they never learned how to live within their means, i.e. fiscal repsonsilibty. The affluent in this country do have kids that cannot rely on themselves financially. You see it in the news every day.

And are you saying that the lesson my dad taught me was useless? That I didn't learn anything useful from it? That these lessons are harmful? I think not.
I would say that for every one of these stories like yours, below, there are probably 10 or more examples of those who never did finish b/c procuring the money just became too burdensome.

Quote:
My parents couldn't pay for my tuition. Just couldn't do it. And they knew this long before I even started kindergarden. Therefore, they drilled into my skull the need for good grades so I could get scholarships. They instilled in me a long-term knowledge that my future depended on what I did.

I paid (actually am still paying) my way through school, includding my graduate degrees. One of the things that it taught me was fiscal responsibility - something missing from many youth today. I understood that I was going to have to pay for my education and that goofing off during college - dropping classes, wasting my Pell grants, taking 6 years to get a 4-year degree, etc. - was not going to help my long-term fiscal situation. I learned to be responsible for myself. My dad even said that even if he could have paid for my college, he wouldn't have done it so I could learn something much more important. Personal, financial responsibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,806 times
Parents owe their children an education to provide the opportunity for their economic success. To not assist your child in his/her educational pursuits is selfish and very sad, indeed.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:34 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,432 times
My parents ultimate job was to prepare me for life without them. I will live past them. I cannot depend on them forever. The one thing they could ultimately teach me (besides showing me love and compasssion and teaching me to be a good person) was to be able to make my own way through life without depending on others. I couldn't depend on them financially anyway, due to jobs and divorce. Consequently, I am still paying off my loans (19 years after graduating with my undergraduate degree). But I still find the time to go to Europe every other year, cruises 1-2 times a year, taking care of my wife (in public education, as well) and kids and still living within my means because I learned a lesson - how to be fiscally responsible. And I learned that from making my own way through life. My parents helped me alot - by teaching me self-reliance.

Regardlesss of what college costs, I made my way through with 3 degrees, paying them off with a public teacher's salary. Do not tell me there are not ways for students to do it. They are accomplishing it every bloody semester without their parents' help.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
No, you owe then a college education like you owe them a car and a home.
These adults need to take responsibility for them selves.

You have been brain washed by commercials from institutions that benefit financially from people going to college.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:35 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Parents owe their children an education to provide the opportunity for their economic success. To not assist your child in his/her educational pursuits is selfish and very sad, indeed.

And if the parents cannot afford to do this, what then? Are they bad parents?

I think you should speak for yourself in this.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
And if the parents cannot afford to do this, what then? Are they bad parents?

I think you should speak for yourself in this.
The parents in the OP have a combined income of $123K. That is not poor by anyone's standards.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:10 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here we go again, with anti-education posts on the college forum!
???

Quote:
FYI, it's been almost 50 years since I started college, and my parents fully expected to pay for my college. So did the parents of most of my classmates.
And FYI, "college" was a far, far smaller expense than half a century ago. The OP's q stands, however - in the current US system do parents have to be a part of paying for college, and the answer is no. If one wishes to take advantage of current Federal programs, though,the answer is (generally) yes.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
I think if possible, parents should probably assist in any way that they can.
(Probably - if the Kid is making good grades)
Back when I was younger most parents did pay for their Kid's college Education, but today it is so
expensive that is why so many kids have to take out loans or work their way through college
(And if you don't have enough money to help pay some of the costs of college, by the time they get to
college they are grown and taking out loans for education or working their way through college or applying for scholarships, never really hurt anyone too much...) The goal in the end for most of us, is to send out
an educated, independent person who can survive on their own if something should happen to us.

But, if you make $123,000, I honestly think you should look into saving a bit for their college educations.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
I paid my taxes every year and help to pay for our kids to go to school.
Now they are young adults, adults none the less.

It is time for them to spread their wings and fly.

If you can or wish to help them with a crutch that is your prerogative.
but you do not have to.

You can give into pier-pressure and pay their way.

They will not squander their educational dollar if they have to earn it them selves.

It has absolutely nothing to do with being selfish.
It has to do with learning how the world works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post

Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
My kids did not even bother to ask or apply to fancy schools.
What does the term fancy school mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education