Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,555,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
In the event that prompted you to post, children where NOT the target. A teacher who happened to be the mother of the shooter was the target.
All the more reason to not have innocent bystanders closely grouped together. Twenty-seven people gone because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

To add some points about envisioning a better educational system:

- Students learning faster can advance quicker when in a per-student focused setting.
- Students learning slower can be given more and better attention while not leave others waiting.
- Parents can learn the materials on their own time at an additional cost of almost $0 to the system.
- Students can engage others from around the world who have different perspectives on the materials.
- Repeating a speach or other recorded presentation can be done at almost no cost to the system.
- Experts can engage students around the world without traveling.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:20 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
True, but if children weren't gathered in small rooms in locations marked school then they would not be such sitting ducks.

However, that's only one of the points at hand. A better way to learn and grow is the real point. The reference to today's event was just what sparked my post.

Would you argue the same thing for worshipers? After all, gathering a lot of people together in one place makes them sitting ducks. Maybe everyone should worship at home?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM

753 posts, read 727,733 times
Quote:
That's a loaded question. The question infers that elementary and middle schools are *the best* educational method. I think information delivery for education that's not done in today's brick and mortor setting is much better.

Guns aren't the issue. The issue is why someone decides to kill people.
Nonsense. It's not about the best educational method, which would probably involve some sort of one-on-one tutoring by experts in their respective fields. But those methods would be cost-prohibitive (which is why almost no one uses them). They are simply impractical. Absurdly impractical.

Much like home-schooling for everyone until they're able to drive to school.

What planet are you on where you think a sizeable proportion of American parents would be even remotely good at home-schooling? (even assuming they had the resources, including time, to do so)?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Would you argue the same thing for worshipers? After all, gathering a lot of people together in one place makes them sitting ducks. Maybe everyone should worship at home?
Churchs have been targets too right? Anyplace people gather. Life is full of risks and they can't be avoided by hiding in your house.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM

5,518 posts, read 8,765,046 times
What is the point of this thread?

Anyone who wants to homeschool can do so already in every in state in the union. And parents who think schools (public or otherwise) are good for their kids are free to exercise that option too. It's a choice that has nothing to do with the extremely rare and awful event like a school massacre--except for the extremely paranoid. For 99.99% of people this is an educational, financial, or religious choice. People know that awful things like this can happen anywhere. And so does drug experimentation and substance abuse.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:55 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,102,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
And where does it end? Stop them from going to the movies too? Any public places? Yeah, that sounds like a good life/childhood.

And then when they DO get out into the real world, they will be naive as a newborn (made that little simile up myself) or wild. Sheltering the sh*t out of kids isn't going to be a good thing, but they do need to work more on prevention of things like drugs & alcohol, which has a lot to do with parenting, and to be taught to have more respect for powerful objects like guns.
What??

The poor children (and adults) were not murdered because they failed to " have more respect" for the guns that were used to kill them.

I agree with not sheltering kids and preventing drug and alcohol usage by kids but you completely lost me when you went into the weeds with the bold-faced portion of your comment.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-14-2012 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Removed inappropriate language

Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Churchs have been targets too right? Anyplace people gather. Life is full of risks and they can't be avoided by hiding in your house.

My point exactly.

In countries where terrorist acts are common, people use their best judgement, but few cower in fear their whole lives. In Israel, families maintain a contact network allowing them to spread news very fast and confirm the safety of loved ones. No one expects the government to be able to stop all acts of random violence against innocent targets. There are too many evil people in the world to be able to stop them all.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM

266 posts, read 402,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What??!!

The poor children (and adults) were not murdered because they failed to " have more respect" for the guns that were used to kill them.

I agree with not sheltering kids and preventing drug and alcohol usage by kids but you completely lost me when you went into the weeds with the bold-faced portion of your comment.
I was addressing the issue more generally with this comment, not this specific situation. That didn't play a role in this instance with the children, but many tragedies could have been prevented if people understood guns and their power better and if they were not glorified everywhere. This would have to start young. This gunman was only 20, still immature and possibly under this whole "intrigued by guns" phase. You never know.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-14-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM

67 posts, read 208,802 times
my son is in K/12 the state pays for it but it is still a public school . we love it and never have to worry about this type of terror and crime. he is a 10th grader and pays more attention and works harder for this program than he ever did in a brick and morter school. He was sick so much as a youngster he alwys caught every bug that was flying around. it was more stress than benefit. I suggest looking into K/12 for your state if you can. My hubby and I are both home so it works for us and him. We have not regretted it once.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,373 times
Quote:
True, but if children weren't gathered in small rooms in locations marked school then they would not be such sitting ducks.

However, that's only one of the points at hand. A better way to learn and grow is the real point. The reference to today's event was just what sparked my post.
I guess they weren't prepare to be killed like "sitting ducks"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education