Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:44 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,259,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleecrat View Post
my son is in K/12 the state pays for it but it is still a public school . we love it and never have to worry about this type of terror and crime. he is a 10th grader and pays more attention and works harder for this program than he ever did in a brick and morter school. He was sick so much as a youngster he alwys caught every bug that was flying around. it was more stress than benefit. I suggest looking into K/12 for your state if you can. My hubby and I are both home so it works for us and him. We have not regretted it once.
Are you talking about K12, Inc.? We have that here in Ohio and their record has been less-than-stellar in terms of graduation rates. They also have a track record of using unlicensed, overworked teachers and even some indication of other questionable financial activities. I'm glad it's working for your son, but if I were a parent I'm not sure I would use them.

It seems like they're following the questionable lead of the for-profit online colleges, which is great for the businessmen that run them, but bad for the taxpayers and those working for them.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:14 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,373,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm a teacher, not a security guard. I don't expect to have to shoot people on my job. Further, do you really want guns in the building where unruly students could conceivably gain access to them?
Or unstable staff members.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,824,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Would you argue the same thing for worshipers? After all, gathering a lot of people together in one place makes them sitting ducks. Maybe everyone should worship at home?
And rent dvds to watch at home rather than go to movie theaters?

What about sporting events? 60,000 or more people at a football stadium are "sitting ducks" as well.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:01 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,288,091 times
And here we are at war with how many countries in the US to keep "terrorism" away from our shores.

We're no better these days than some ME countries where suicide bombers blow up buses of people, schools of children, wedding receptions, etc.

The seed of fear has been planted.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:31 AM

13,441 posts, read 15,401,240 times
You know, thse teachers were true heroes whose acts have brought me to tears. They've gone above and beyond their pay grade bc they felt that they were entrusted with the lives of our most cherished, our children. After crying and reading the barrage of stories, I hug my children...and I want to hug my child's teacher. Just because. Even though she's in georgetown, tx, without a doubt I know how special she is and how much she cares about the children .. Which can go beyond educating them.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
You know, thse teachers were true heroes whose acts have brought me to tears. They've gone above and beyond their pay grade bc they felt that they were entrusted with the lives of our most cherished, our children. After crying and reading the barrage of stories, I hug my children...and I want to hug my child's teacher. Just because. Even though she's in georgetown, tx, without a doubt I know how special she is and how much she cares about the children .. Which can go beyond educating them.
raielise, almost anyone who volunteers or works in a school feels that way about the kids.
Few do it for the money alone.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM

593 posts, read 794,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
That's a loaded question. The question infers that elementary and middle schools are *the best* educational method. I think information delivery for education that's not done in today's brick and mortor setting is much better.

Guns aren't the issue. The issue is why someone decides to kill people.
In every society, there have always been a percentage of people who are violent and willing to kill people. That's not going to change anytime soon.

Last edited by Data1000; 12-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Add last sentence

Old 12-16-2012, 11:42 AM

9 posts, read 15,576 times

Old 12-16-2012, 12:14 PM

13,441 posts, read 15,401,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
raielise, almost anyone who volunteers or works in a school feels that way about the kids.
Few do it for the money alone.
I never said that teachers do it for the money at all. Teaching is not a money making profession. My point was, that those teachers went above and beyond...even if it was innate. They put their lives on the line and paid with their lives. They are true heroes, in my book, right on up with the firefighters, police, and everyone who selflessly puts others above their own interests. Those teachers had children of their own, and they didn't think twice to give up their own lives so that others could live. It's just so sad and so tragic all around.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I never said that teachers do it for the money at all. Teaching is not a money making profession. My point was, that those teachers went above and beyond...even if it was innate. They put their lives on the line and paid with their lives. They are true heroes, in my book, right on up with the firefighters, police, and everyone who selflessly puts others above their own interests. Those teachers had children of their own, and they didn't think twice to give up their own lives so that others could live. It's just so sad and so tragic all around.
Sorry if I confused you. My point is that it's not just the teachers in the school.
The Principal and counselor both tried to stop him and died.
The janitor ran around telling the teachers to lock their doors.

Anyone who works or volunteers in a school does it because they do care. It's all involved in education, not just the teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education