Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it to easy to get easy to get in your chil's school?
yes 15 65.22%
no 8 34.78%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,779 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this before the tragedy. There's a buzzer at the front door of mine. That's about it. Sometimes the UPS man or another parent will hold the door open for you. There's an intercom, I press the button, they never speak....they just buzz me in. There is a school deputy there all the time but rarely seen.

I've worked at many factories with way tighter security. Card scan activated turnstiles and doors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
The only door that is open is the front door,

All the other outside doors in the Elem School that teacher/staff would need access to are card-key Controlled. In the lobby is a attendance Secretary So you would need to go by her (or him) go get anywhere else. I know they have a panic button.

Our district has 5 (+ the lieutenant ) School resources officers assigned to the schools, Based at each High School, but they also 'service' all the middle and elementary schools that feed that High school.

Yes, my work place is has tighter security then my son's schools.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:06 AM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Yes.

I volunteer at my children's school whenever my full-time working mom schedule allows it - and I let myself in there every time like I am strolling on Champs Elysee or something; and this is a school in a "fancy", upper-middle class area.
Maybe they live on that false sense of security..."it would never happen here as we are the respectable, wonderful, pillars of society".

Except that such things seem to happen EXACTLY among "pillars of society" who are usually too busy volunteering all day long but otherwise remaining guarded, isolated and "uber-private" at all times.
Perfect breeding ground for mental illness because nobody knows you for who you REALLY are. You just LOOK like you're awesome.

Last time I checked, crimes in "non-pillars of society" areas (low-income, minority, generally God-Forsaken) actually made some sense. Some 'hood boys shooting for drug-related motives and they were at least rational about who they were targeting.

But this kind of insanity is the "white, well-off, pillar-of-society" specialty. Maybe mental illness is the price they pay for clawing their way to the top.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Yes, my daughter attends a private school and even though it has become much more secure outside (locked fences, car gates), getting into the school would be fairly easy.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Our school district started locking all the schools about 6 or 7 years ago. Everyone has to be buzzed in and you are asked your name even if they know who you are. We live in a fairly affluent district. What happens after you get in though is where security gets a little lax. You are supposed to report to the office, but in reality you could just go down a hall. We're all so concerned about security in schools but really if you were a crazed gunman it would be easier to walk into a public library or grocery store without anyone looking at you twice.

syracusa - I am baffled by the "pillars of society" reference. At any school I attended parents of all stripes volunteered. It was an enjoyable and rewarding thing to do. I volunteer because I hope I am benefiting someone and it makes me feel good. I don't do it to show people how terrific I am.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
Mental illness knows no bounds, it sadly crosses all socio-economic and cultural groups.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,874 times
And many schools administrators nationwide are sadly looking at school security today. In my town, the school flags are at half-mast.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:45 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,202 times
It's very easy to just walk in the unlocked front door and go right on past the main office. Yes, people are *supposed* to check in, but there's nothing stopping them from not. What's worse is that the school is also a polling place, and school is often open during elections (except for the major one last November).

Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
And many schools administrators nationwide are sadly looking at school security today. In my town, the school flags are at half-mast.
The flags being flown at half mast is federal mandate. HALF STAFF AMERICAN FLAG NOTIFICATIONS

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:25 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Our school district started locking all the schools about 6 or 7 years ago. Everyone has to be buzzed in and you are asked your name even if they know who you are. We live in a fairly affluent district. What happens after you get in though is where security gets a little lax. You are supposed to report to the office, but in reality you could just go down a hall. We're all so concerned about security in schools but really if you were a crazed gunman it would be easier to walk into a public library or grocery store without anyone looking at you twice.

syracusa - I am baffled by the "pillars of society" reference. At any school I attended parents of all stripes volunteered. It was an enjoyable and rewarding thing to do. I volunteer because I hope I am benefiting someone and it makes me feel good. I don't do it to show people how terrific I am.
It doesn't tell you anything the fact that most such incidents happen in middle to upper-middle class areas.
OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education