U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:11 AM

3,887 posts, read 9,550,231 times

Advertisements

I know culinary schools are a 9 month course. Is that really all you do or are there other learning options? What are some good schools for this?
Any cooks out there with an opinion on this for a career?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 11:49 AM

677 posts, read 4,037,602 times
Kendall College in Chicago has an excellent culinary arts program. You can read about it on their website: Culinary Arts School Chicago, Kendall College (http://www.kendall.edu/Academics/CulinaryArts/tabid/70/Default.aspx - broken link). A B.A. in Culinary Arts is a four-year program just like any other degree.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 AM

474 posts, read 2,428,066 times
Default More On A Culinary Vocation

If you live near Glen Ellyn, Illinois, College of DuPage has an associate degree program in culinary arts. My oldest daughter took that course and graduated after two years (the normal time span of the course). She then was able to obtain employment easy enough but soon determined that it is very physically exhausting on a person. It is a high speed vocation in a typical restaurant.
My YOUNGEST daughter did not take the culinary arts program but was hired anyway by Jewel Food Stores (Albertsons?) in one of the Chicago suburbs. There, she became a cake decorator. Although she enjoyed her work with less stress than a restaurant chef - - she got married, became pregnant and then had to quit her employment. Hope this helps with your decisions.

Carter Glass

Old 10-17-2007, 02:34 PM

160 posts, read 742,514 times
A great school for that would be Johnson & Wales in Providence Rhode Island. I've heard good stories about their program for culinary arts.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 28,037,078 times
That would be an interesting profession. I hope she like getting up really early! After she finishes her culinary school, and apprenticeship or further training in Europe would be a good investment. Those Europeans know their pastries!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:02 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,211,921 times
I also wanted to be a pastries chef.. Due to health issues I have had to put that on hold but one of the best schools she can go to for that would be New England Culinary Institute.. They have a specific pastries courses where you study the specific field you want to go into. And famous people have gradutated from there like Alton Brown who now has a show on the Food Network

New England Culinary Institute Link

Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM

3,360 posts, read 11,653,569 times
My nephews went this route. Two yrs at Johnson & Wales for the full charge culinary chef, and only a one year program at Paul Smith's for the other one who took the pastry specialty.

He has to get up at 3am every day to start baking. They both got good jobs at high end resorts afterwards.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:53 AM

1,408 posts, read 7,737,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I know culinary schools are a 9 month course. Is that really all you do or are there other learning options? What are some good schools for this?
Any cooks out there with an opinion on this for a career?
I second johnson and wales. it's an excellent culinary school with a great reputation. My dad is a pastry chef (an EXCELLENT pastry chef) and used to work there as a teacher. He doesn't have ANY patience whatsoever so he left teaching. He used to own his own pastry shop and did very well in summer months (it was located in a very popular summer destination town but sadly in the winter it was a ghost town which hurt him. In the summer though, his place was PACKED! He even sold to all the local restaurants.

If your daughter is driven and has talent then she'll go very far but she'll need to work, work, work to further her career.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,672,182 times
A friend of mine went to johnson and sales....and she loved it. Also the CIA...is in hyde park, an hour and a half north of nyc.

Alot of famous chefs went there..and the food networks "Iron chef" is currently being filmed there.

Welcome to the world's premier culinary college in New York-The Culinary Institute of America

Its also a 38 month program and you get a "real" degree plus a culinary one. We have friend that went there and opened up a restaurant..and boy is it flourishing..because he learned accounting, budgeting and marketing...plus all the culinary stuff.

I think bobby flay went there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education