Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times

Advertisements

I am just curious.
In China junior high school requires two semesters' Chinese history and one semester's history of the world. In senior high chool, there is one Chinese history course and one world history.
Most of the "world history" classes cover Europe, especially Greece, Rome, Britain, France, Germany and Russia. For US history, we learned about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, and of course black savery. Also
wwii etc.
For the rest of the world, not much. Just one chapter about ancient Egypt, one or two chapters about ancient and recent Japan. Some random things about India, Turky, Latin America and so on. Many teachers skipped them.

I think China is a special case because we have too much to learn about ourselves. I wonder how other countries teach history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:27 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
When I was in junior high and high school (70s), we had a semester of world geography in 9th grade and a full year of world history in 10th. The history was organized more by continent than by time. In seventh grade we studied ancient civilizations for at least part of the year.

It differs by state, but now in some states world history is taught in 6th-7th grade, then again some time in high school (I hope). It used to be Western Hemisphere in 6th, Eastern Hemisphere in 7th, but now it is divided by time periods instead.

From my conversations with adults, I would say it is not taught enough, or well enough.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
China was a large part of the World Cultures class I took in high school, way back in the 70's. In fact, the only lessons I remember today were the chapters on Mao Tse-tung.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
The AP World History course was recentered a couple years ago to shift emphasis away from Europe to Asia, Africa and pre-Columbian Americas. So a qualified yes would be your answer.

Regular World History is more of a crap shoot.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 01-03-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-03-2013, 03:04 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
It's lucky to be a student in the US though.
I China we are required to memorize every single dynasty since 4000 years ago, and all the major events from the construction of the Great Wall to the Rape of Nanjing. Those Huns, Turks, and Mongols only make things more complicated.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
My son took AP Human Geography which covered societies all over the world including Asia. He also took AP World History which included substantial information about Asia. The Social Studies curriculum at their high school is as follows:

9th grade-Human Geography
10th grade-World History
11th grade-US History
12th grade-Economics/US Government

All classes are offered as college prep, honors or AP.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
I'm really only familiar with our elementary curriculum. Some is included in third and fifth grades. I just copied portions of the text from the district's social studies curriculum overview page:

Third grade:
Students learn about the cultures of the ancient civilizations of Egypt, China, Greece, and Rome.

Fifth grade:
Teachers will teach two of the following four ancient civilizations:

The Fertile Crescent (Standard 3)
India (Standard 4)
China (Standard 5)
Pre-Columbian Civilizations*(Standard 6)

Teachers will teach one of the following classical civilizations:

Greece (Standard 7)
Rome*(Standard 8)

Teachers will teach one of the following post-classical era civilization:

East Africa*(Standard 9)
Southwest Asia (the Middle East) (Standard 10)

Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,430,343 times
Non-Western history was covered in 9th grade human geography and 10th grade world history - but not enough. Unfortunately, it's a big world out there and there is not enough class time to cover it all. While Chinese language was not offered while I was in high school, my former high school now includes a Chinese history class taught in Chinese.

I was able to take Spanish history and Latin American history by taking upper level Spanish classes in high school, but I don't remember getting more than a cursory look at Latin America (aside from Mexico and Cuba) through the rest of my education.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
I graduated high school in 1978. In 6th grade we learned about the "4 cradles of civilization", 3 of which were in Asia (Indus Valley, Tigris/Euphrates, and the Hwang Ho/Yangtze (Yellow) River Valley). Today's purveyors of textbooks may list more than 4 cradles of civilization.

I didn't take any specific Asian history classes in high school, but it's taught as part of world history. I have an interest in history and world policitics so at this point in my life it's hard to say whether I learned this or that about Asian history in school or because of extracurricular interest.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It's lucky to be a student in the US though.
I China we are required to memorize every single dynasty since 4000 years ago, and all the major events from the construction of the Great Wall to the Rape of Nanjing. Those Huns, Turks, and Mongols only make things more complicated.
Most US students will know the great wall exists, but not who built it or when. Few will know what a dynasty is. Almost none will know anyhting about one dynasty compared to another. None will likely know what the rape of Nanjing is (I do not). Most are aware there was extreme ause of Chinese civilians by the Japanese during WWII, but that is about it. Most are taught the chinese inveted spagetti and gun powder. The communist takeover got a lot of attention in my day, but they do nto seem to teach much about it anymore.

Yes some Chinese history is taught in our schools, but usually only a chapter and it is forgotten immediately after the test.

Now I am off to look up the rape of Nanjing - I am guessing it is probably the city the Japanese solders sacked during WWII.

Wow. That is horrific. I knew something horrible and evil happened but no real details. What is it that turns people evil so easily?

Last edited by Coldjensens; 01-04-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education