Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

I recently had my fourth graders write a response to a prompt. The prompt asked if they would want to travel back in time to the 1700s and experience what it would be like to be a colonial child. As part of the writing process, they had to plan at least the reasons with 3 details to support their choice. I had at least one child write that he he would like to live in the colonies because he "could drink beer". That was ok. It was an appropriate supporting detail.

A more recent assignment was a Revolutionary War timeline. Some students questioned whether or not they were allowed to draw weapons on the timeline. I had a substitute in my class when the assignment was started and I guess she told them not do draw any guns or violence. I told them they could as long as it was appropriate for the lesson. If it is historically accurate, not ridiculously gory, and they're not drawing pictures to threaten someone, it's fine. Realistically though, war is gory. I even showed them a painting of a Revolutionary War battle in the textbook. I said to them, "What are these soldiers pointing at each other? Do you think this man is laying up against the tree because he's tired? This isn't jelly dripping from the British soldier's head". It was a good discussion and it makes sense to them as long as you're real with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 11:32 AM

632 posts, read 1,517,681 times
I find it funny....I would ignore the comment by the teacher. I teach high school, and in our classroom discussions or in student writings, students nearly always want to mention nudity, alcohol, tobacco, etc. and I usually say or write something like "keep it school appropriate please". You certainly may disagree with me and I don't think mentioning this stuff is a huge deal, but as a teacher if we don't, students might step up their game to see exactly where you WILL draw the line...or other students may feel uncomfortable (if spoken) and tell their parents. Been teaching for 20 years, so I have learned to be supercareful about what I allow to go on....somebody's parent is bound to complain.

But then I teach high school. From an elementary student? Kind of cute...and observant because beers DO come in a group (6-pack).

I guess I've got one for everyone here. My 5th grade child's teacher has done 2 things recently that kind of bothers me, even as a fellow teacher.

1st, one day a group of kids at my child's table were being noisey, after being warned to quiet down. He asked the kids "What? Are you stupid?" If really bothered my child, so she politely spoke to him the next day. He was rude to her, and in an email to me said he never called her stupid, he asked if she was stupid? Really? Splitting hairs, dontcha think?

Then yesterday, daughter told me his favorite joke to say to kids is "Hey, you know what i like about you?" Kids eagerly say "What?" and teacher replies "Nothing" and laughs. All of the class has mentioned to each other that they find this rude, but when one kid told the teacher they thought it was rude, he said "you just don't have a sense of humor".

Any opinions?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:38 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Retired teacher here.

Although I would be tempted to respond with WTH (!), I would suggest letting it go. If a similiar thing happens in the future, talk to the teacher.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I recently had my fourth graders write a response to a prompt. The prompt asked if they would want to travel back in time to the 1700s and experience what it would be like to be a colonial child. As part of the writing process, they had to plan at least the reasons with 3 details to support their choice. I had at least one child write that he he would like to live in the colonies because he "could drink beer". That was ok. It was an appropriate supporting detail.

A more recent assignment was a Revolutionary War timeline. Some students questioned whether or not they were allowed to draw weapons on the timeline. I had a substitute in my class when the assignment was started and I guess she told them not do draw any guns or violence. I told them they could as long as it was appropriate for the lesson. If it is historically accurate, not ridiculously gory, and they're not drawing pictures to threaten someone, it's fine. Realistically though, war is gory. I even showed them a painting of a Revolutionary War battle in the textbook. I said to them, "What are these soldiers pointing at each other? Do you think this man is laying up against the tree because he's tired? This isn't jelly dripping from the British soldier's head". It was a good discussion and it makes sense to them as long as you're real with them.
hehe. Have you ever read "American History According to Student Bloopers" by Richard Lederer? They are not all from his students as some have been going around for a long time, but they are quite funny.

I cannot find the title of the book that my kids and I read when we were on vacation one year that had put the whole thing into chapters with a few sentences from each 8th grader's essays, but it was hilarious.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:04 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
hehe. Have you ever read "American History According to Student Bloopers" by Richard Lederer? They are not all from his students as some have been going around for a long time, but they are quite funny.

I cannot find the title of the book that my kids and I read when we were on vacation one year that had put the whole thing into chapters with a few sentences from each 8th grader's essays, but it was hilarious.
No, I haven't. I'll have to look that up.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
No, I haven't. I'll have to look that up.
I think it is a chapter in this book:

Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon the English Language: Richard Lederer: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

The article itself is available online here:

The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches ... - Richard Lederer - Google Books

Seriously, though I have searched and searched and I cannot find the original book I read with my kids.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM

524 posts, read 843,773 times
I wholeheartedly dislike the remarks of the teacher who asked his students if they were stupid. Saying that he likes nothing about them reminds me of people who insult others in an attempt to control them or place themselves above others. Those types of comments seem to escalate, even if the person under attack ignores the behavior.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I guess I've got one for everyone here. My 5th grade child's teacher has done 2 things recently that kind of bothers me, even as a fellow teacher.

1st, one day a group of kids at my child's table were being noisey, after being warned to quiet down. He asked the kids "What? Are you stupid?" If really bothered my child, so she politely spoke to him the next day. He was rude to her, and in an email to me said he never called her stupid, he asked if she was stupid? Really? Splitting hairs, dontcha think?

Then yesterday, daughter told me his favorite joke to say to kids is "Hey, you know what i like about you?" Kids eagerly say "What?" and teacher replies "Nothing" and laughs. All of the class has mentioned to each other that they find this rude, but when one kid told the teacher they thought it was rude, he said "you just don't have a sense of humor".

Any opinions?
This guy is a menace in the classroom. That kind of sarcastic attitude (which I happen to have also ) has NO place in an elementary school classroom. It either makes the kids act just like him, slowly but surely, or it teaches less assertive kids to flinch when an adult speaks to them. I would not appreciate the "stupid" remark at all and would mention it to the principal.

IMHO, though, the kids should not be going head-to-head with the teacher because he is in a position of power. They still need you to be their advocate.

As for the "beer" teacher, she needs to get the stick out of her butt. Good teachers know when to giggle and move on. It's all about context. I do think, though, that this kind of comment should be edited out at home, if you see it before she turns it in.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:38 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Public or private school?
If a private school, there is a chance that the mention of alcohol in the assignment is specifically inappropriate (as in schools rules against it that you have previously overlooked). Several of my friends went to a 7th day Adventist academy, and they had a rule that any student could be kicked out for discussing alcohol or tobacco on campus!

Old 01-26-2013, 04:46 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Kind of like when my daughter had to write a tall tale, and she decided to write about her dad's job. There was a line in there that said, "And when that big, shiny truck rolled by, panties dropped from all the ladies standing on the streets." We didn't turn it in that way, but it sure was funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education