Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times

Advertisements

This makes so much sense to me. Thoughts? Many of you have probably seen this but I thought I'd share because my 15 year old showed it to me recently.. one of his teachers shared it with the class.

RSA Animate - Changing Education Paradigms - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,440,798 times
They lost me when they said "the problem is trying to address the future by doing what we did in the past".

That was around minute 1 and 12 seconds. Many aspects of classical education will never become obsolete as long as you still intend to form humans as opposed to cogs in huge Global machine.

Now, I do understand that society needs to create increasingly specialized and techy cogs in this infernal machine, all while educating humans less and less...but I am not quite ready to understand education as preparing my children to support the economy that serves a few tremendously powerful sharks.

While they will not have the luxury of ignoring the imperatives of market competitiveness and the necessity of a lucrative occupation, I will never give up on teaching them what truly educated people had to know since the Ancients. Given schools don't do it anymore, interested parents have to do it - with lots of sweat involved.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
They lost me when they said "the problem is trying to address the future by doing what we did in the past".

That was around minute 1 and 12 seconds. Many aspects of classical education will never become obsolete as long as you still intend to form humans as opposed to cogs in huge Global machine.

Now, I do understand that society needs to create increasingly specialized and techy cogs in this infernal machine, all while educating humans less and less...but I am not quite ready to understand education as preparing my children to support the economy that serves a few tremendously powerful sharks.

While they will not have the luxury of ignoring the imperatives of market competitiveness and the necessity of a lucrative occupation, I will never give up on teaching them what truly educated people had to know since the Ancients. Given schools don't do it anymore, interested parents have to do it - with lots of sweat involved.
Bless you for this post and it's heartening to know there are a few left. Sadly, you're fighting a losing battle.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:23 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:

Just wanted to agree with you. Much of what needs to be taught IS what has been taught before. That's the foundation. Yes, we are building a new future but they still need a foundation to build it upon.

Your kids will be better off for you having given them that foundation even if the rest of the world thinks you're too old school.

I fight a losing battle every day because my adminstration does not get that the only way I can teach kids to think critically is first to teach them enough material that they have something to think critically about. THAT appears too old school to them.

There's a reason the Socratic method has lasted hundreds of years....PEOPLE are still PEOPLE. They still learn in the same ways. They still need a foundation before they can build a sky scraper. We're putting the educational cart before the horse to think we can teach critical thinking without content or teach kids to reach the sky without first teaching them to add 2+2.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,537,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Bless you for this post and it's heartening to know there are a few left. Sadly, you're fighting a losing battle.
Yes, this is a losing battle.

It will be interesting to see what education morphs into. I'm glad my kids are almost through the system.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:38 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:

I agree that much of what has been done in the past is good and should be repeated. We need new content as technology marches on but effective teaching methods remain effective no matter how much time passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education