Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,605,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
So if a child in the public school system has two great parents how exactly does that counterbalance for the four to five incompetent, going through the motions, just collecting a paycheck, complaining about how hard they have it, teachers that he/she has to deal with every day?

Just curious.
Those teachers would be gone.
Incompetence is not tolerated in our school district. And it should not be in yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
So if a child in the public school system has two great parents how exactly does that counterbalance for the four to five incompetent, going through the motions, just collecting a paycheck, complaining about how hard they have it, teachers that he/she has to deal with every day?

Just curious.
The great parents would pull their child out of a school which was not effectively teaching them and put them in one which would.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,397,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Those teachers would be gone.
Incompetence is not tolerated in our school district. And it should not be in yours.

You're kidding right?

You have no teachers unions in your district?

Old 02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Yes, thank you. I'd thought that I was perfectly clear.

I didn't ask who are the most influential people in a child's education, which might have gotten the obvious answer of "parents." I asked, "Who are the most influential people in education? I'm figuring Arne Duncan and Diane Ravitch to start with - but who else?" Since I even included two names, I would have thought it was pretty clear I'm asking about notable current figures in the field of education, in terms of setting and advising about policy.

Thanks, Happy Texan, but I'm looking for living people still in the middle of things.
What do you say we go with the OP's question?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I'm figuring Arne Duncan and Diane Ravitch to start with - but who else?
Good start. I'd add John Dewey and Maria Montessori.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
Definitely Michelle Rhee.

Kind of like Hitler was Time Magazine's Most Influential Person of the 20th Century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education