Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times

Advertisements

Look,

Most people blame the unions for the problem of schools not being able to rid themselves of bad teachers - those going through the motions, not teaching/knowing anything, etc.. This is actually not as much of a union problem as it is an administration problem. Tenure does not guarantee a teacher a job for life. It simply means that the administration must go through due process in order to get rid of them. Unfortunately, this can be a tedious, time- and money-consuming process, and many school directors - whether right or wrong - feel they have more important issues with which to spend their time and money.

Whose fault is this? Well, the answer is both the union and the administration. If the union would lighten up on the red-tape (but not too much) and the admin would grow the backbone to follow through with the procedures, then many of the problem teachers would be let go. I also think that if these teachers knew it would easier for them to be fired, it might actually spur them into actually doing thier jobs correctly.

As far as our unions in TN (of which I am not a member), I can't think of a thing they do that directly affects our curriculum. So thats a non-issue.

Speaking only for myself, I am not a member of the NEA simply because they dabble in issues that are non-education related. I would not want my dues to fund thier politcal agenda. On the other hand, I would gladly be a member of my system EA because I would love to support their work on behalf of us. Here's the problem: We can't join the local without joining the state and national union. It is simply not allowed. And because of this, many of the teachers in my system (and the state) do not belong (to the TEA/NEA). So to say we are lazy, apathetic, union-loving losers is simply so much bilge. And to clue you non-teachers in on something. The primary reason most teachers join a union of some sort? It's not salary/benefits. It's not tenure/job security.
It's liability insurance for issues in the classroom.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
Look,

Most people blame the unions for the problem of schools not being able to rid themselves of bad teachers - those going through the motions, not teaching/knowing anything, etc.. This is actually not as much of a union problem as it is an administration problem. Tenure does not guarantee a teacher a job for life. It simply means that the administration must go through due process in order to get rid of them. Unfortunately, this can be a tedious, time- and money-consuming process, and many school directors - whether right or wrong - feel they have more important issues with which to spend their time and money.

Whose fault is this? Well, the answer is both the union and the administration. If the union would lighten up on the red-tape (but not too much) and the admin would grow the backbone to follow through with the procedures, then many of the problem teachers would be let go. I also think that if these teachers knew it would easier for them to be fired, it might actually spur them into actually doing thier jobs correctly.

As far as our unions in TN (of which I am not a member), I can't think of a thing they do that directly affects our curriculum. So thats a non-issue.

Speaking only for myself, I am not a member of the NEA simply because they dabble in issues that are non-education related. I would not want my dues to fund thier politcal agenda. On the other hand, I would gladly be a member of my system EA because I would love to support their work on behalf of us. Here's the problem: We can't join the local without joining the state and national union. It is simply not allowed. And because of this, many of the teachers in my system (and the state) do not belong (to the TEA/NEA). So to say we are lazy, apathetic, union-loving losers is simply so much bilge. And to clue you non-teachers in on something. The primary reason most teachers join a union of some sort? It's not salary/benefits. It's not tenure/job security.
This.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
The primary reason most teachers join a union of some sort? It's not salary/benefits. It's not tenure/job security.
Sure it is. Why aren't anesthesiologists and nurse anesthetists in a union?

Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Are you a teacher? Do you work in a school system? Are you a member of an educational union?

If the answer to these questions are NO, then please don't tell me or any other teacher why we do or do not belong to anything. I'm not an anesthesiologist or a nurse, so I can't speak as to why they would or would not belong to anything, nor do I care, because I don't do their job, recieve their benefits, face their problems, etc. I'm a teacher, and THAT I can talk about. Can you?

So do the rest of us a favor. I - and a few thousand other teachers - would really appreciate it if you wouldn't tell us why we do or do not join unions.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Quote:
I would imagine that most anesthesiologists are members of the AMA, the professional organization for physicians. They also have to pay very high malpractice insurance rates. I would imagine that a similar organization exists for nurse anesthetists and that they also have malpractice insurance.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Are you a teacher? Do you work in a school system? Are you a member of an educational union?

If the answer to these questions are NO, then please don't tell me or any other teacher why we do or do not belong to anything. I'm not an anesthesiologist or a nurse, so I can't speak as to why they would or would not belong to anything, nor do I care, because I don't do their job, recieve their benefits, face their problems, etc. I'm a teacher, and THAT I can talk about. Can you?

So do the rest of us a favor. I - and a few thousand other teachers - would really appreciate it if you wouldn't tell us why we do or do not join unions.
Not buying it. Your 'liablities' are a joke compared to theirs, so let's hear the real reason you are in a union.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Not buying it. Your 'liablities' are a joke compared to theirs, so let's hear the real reason you are in a union.
Thirty years ago, when I was in college to become a teacher, my education professor admonished our class, saying, "Do NOT set foot inside a classroom without belonging to a professional organization." He said it with so much conviction that I believed him and joined when I began teaching full time. As I am in a state that does not have functional unions, the only reasons that I have been a member all these years are the legal representation and the liability insurance. I don't regret the decision, even though I disagree with the decisions made at the national level.

The liability of a teacher includes things like being responsible for students who cut class or taking students on field trips. Driving a van full of kids to and from activities makes you very aware of how easily everything could change in an instant. I also have a personal liability policy to cover incidents in my non-professional life, such as if a guest gets hurt at my home. I don't see that much difference between the two.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Thirty years ago, when I was in college to become a teacher, my education professor admonished our class, saying, "Do NOT set foot inside a classroom without belonging to a professional organization." He said it with so much conviction that I believed him and joined when I began teaching full time. As I am in a state that does not have functional unions, the only reasons that I have been a member all these years are the legal representation and the liability insurance. I don't regret the decision, even though I disagree with the decisions made at the national level.

The liability of a teacher includes things like being responsible for students who cut class or taking students on field trips. Driving a van full of kids to and from activities makes you very aware of how easily everything could change in an instant. I also have a personal liability policy to cover incidents in my non-professional life, such as if a guest gets hurt at my home. I don't see that much difference between the two.
A professional organization is not a union, which was pretty much my point. Liability insurance is no reason to join a union. If professionals who regularly have their patients die after administering them powerful heart stopping drugs based on their own judgement don't need a union for their liability coverage, neither do teachers.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:43 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
A professional organization is not a union, which was pretty much my point. Liability insurance is no reason to join a union. If professionals who regularly have their patients die after administering them powerful heart stopping drugs based on their own judgement don't need a union for their liability coverage, neither do teachers.
I'm 3rd generation Carpenters union, and we ARE a Professional organization with accredited training programs throughout the United States and Canada and no OPINION can change this fact. Next time you drive on an Interstate, or view the Statue of Liberty your viewing our work. We are trained to build with the public's safety in mind, and live by this credo. I've dedicated my life and education to perpetuate this craft, so when someone berates out brotherhood it's as if they've questioned my ethics and morals.

My Grandfather Olaf was an Apprenticeship instructor, and so was I. Liability insurance, as well as other reasons are a great reason to be in a membership guild.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:48 PM

45,380 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Unions for health care workers are growing - amednews.com

About NUHW - National Union of Healthcare Workers | NUHW

MMS: Error

The last one is a good link. It concerns MDs and collective bargaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education