Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times

Advertisements

I have never thought that math is a subject that is easily self taught. It is much easier to grasp following an instructor and perhaps help from tutors or study groups. I never had any problem grasping math and it was my minor so I may not be the best at giving advice on how to learn it....I apparently came preprogrammed for most of it. One thing that has helped some other people I know when they had problems is searching youtube for tutorial videos. There are some really good tutorial videos of instructors walking through examples of problems and explaining them. Perhaps you could find some that would help.

I always did really well on my tests and finals in math in college because I realized that the professors love to use the problems in the book they didn't assign as homework, the examples throughout the chapters in the textbook and every once in a while an example they worked on the board on a day when a lot of people skipped class. So work the problems in between the ones assigned for homework, work through and understand the examples in the text and make sure you go to class EVERY day and take good notes of the examples worked on the board. If you follow that advice and put a little effort into it, you should have no problem getting a minimum of a C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM

6 posts, read 24,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Hey that's good stuff. Do you have one for Algebra II, as well? Just curious to see what it looks like.
I'm glad you like that sequence. It took us forever to come up with something that makes logical sense.

Algebra II is a little harder to organize from the standpoint that different schools lump different things into it. Here's what we've designed.

1. Introduction to the Complex Number System
2. Introduction to Functions and Properties of Functions
3. Power and Polynomial Functions, Equations, and Inequalities
4. Exponential and Logarithmic Functions and Equations
5. Rational Functions and Equations
6. Conic Sections
7. Systems of Linear Equations and Matrices
8. Systems of Nonlinear Equations
9. Two-System Nonlinear Inequalities
10 Introduction to Right-Triangle Trigonometry

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,127 times
One thing about Algebra that makes it so difficult is there are so many rules to learn and follow when solving algebra problems. It's one thing just to memorize all the rules involved.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
books and youtube is where i've learnt the majority of my math...
up to calc II.

for some reason lectures have never been effective for me.

but, everyone is different, you know?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,237 times
EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES, EXAMPLES. I also cheated a little using Google and Youtube and a TI-96.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
One thing about Algebra that makes it so difficult is there are so many rules to learn and follow when solving algebra problems. It's one thing just to memorize all the rules involved.
Here are some "cheat" sheets to remember important algebra rules and formulas:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/A...heat_Sheet.pdf

http://www.cowley.edu/departments/na...ULASHEETCA.PDF

http://www.regentsprep.org/Regents/m...eetAlgebra.pdf

These won't be of much help unless you understand the concepts behind them, though, so learn those first!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:27 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Kumon. It's a system that's been around since the fifties.
There should be a franchise person in your area.
Kumon has toddlers doing Algebra that can't even talk yet.
It will cost a little.
Doesn't anything worth anything nowadays?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Kumon. It's a system that's been around since the fifties.
There should be a franchise person in your area.
Kumon has toddlers doing Algebra that can't even talk yet.
It will cost a little.
Doesn't anything worth anything nowadays?
Toddlers doing Algebra?! That's nothing, my nephew was doing differential equations in the womb and he didn't need Kumon.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM

52 posts, read 133,264 times
You might want to look into material that is designed for homeschoolers. One that comes to mind is Chalkdust math. The set comes with a textbook and DVDs that have a teacher explaining the problems. The new set is not cheap but you might be able to find a used set on ebay.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:36 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
How are you at basic calculations? Can you add, subtract, multiply, and perform long division with mastery?
I don't know about the with mastery part... I can add, subtract, and multiply easily. Long division I can do but it takes me forever. I tend to avoid it.

As for teaching myself, I guess I am not really planning on teaching myself from scratch because I have repeated the pre-algebra enough now that I have basic ideas already in my head, I just need more time to totally comprehend them. So at least it's not like I've never seen the material before, I suppose?

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and recommendations so far. I am fine with buying books and so forth within a certain limit, but I don't want to pay for something such as Kumon, I don't think, because it's about $120 a week. That would add up, given the time this will take me, to the same cost as taking a class for credit. Or close to it.

I have old textbooks here but I never liked the way they explain things in them, that's why I am thinking the "for Dummies" or "Idiot's guide" type books might be more helpful and they are cheap enough used on Amazon that it's no big risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education