Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:45 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,663 times

Advertisements

Here's one more that gives an overview of the rules of Algebra:

Summary of algebra - Topics in precalculus

In general, though, that website is amazing and has numerous tutorials that I think are great for learning various math concepts (including Algebra).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 01:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't know about the with mastery part... I can add, subtract, and multiply easily. Long division I can do but it takes me forever. I tend to avoid it.

As for teaching myself, I guess I am not really planning on teaching myself from scratch because I have repeated the pre-algebra enough now that I have basic ideas already in my head, I just need more time to totally comprehend them. So at least it's not like I've never seen the material before, I suppose?

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and recommendations so far. I am fine with buying books and so forth within a certain limit, but I don't want to pay for something such as Kumon, I don't think, because it's about $120 a week. That would add up, given the time this will take me, to the same cost as taking a class for credit. Or close to it.

I have old textbooks here but I never liked the way they explain things in them, that's why I am thinking the "for Dummies" or "Idiot's guide" type books might be more helpful and they are cheap enough used on Amazon that it's no big risk.
Sally, I'd be interested in learning how you made out. If you recall, I mentioned on another thread that I did not finish college because I am unable to grasp algebra. I'd like to know if you are able to "get it", just out of curiosity.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:38 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Kumon. It's a system that's been around since the fifties.
There should be a franchise person in your area.
Kumon has toddlers doing Algebra that can't even talk yet.
It will cost a little.
Doesn't anything worth anything nowadays?
Kumon is expensive
Kumon teachers are not qualified math teachers
Kumon teachers spend about 10 minutes with each student per session.
Kumon is repetitive and boring. They have kids repeat the same worksheet up to 6 times.
Kumon is a franchise, so how good it is will depend on the individual center
Kumon does not cover problem solving. It concentrates on rote skills.
Kumon does well for arithmetic, but not any real math - they do no data handling or geometry concepts or problem solving.

If your young child is doing algebra through Kumon, they probably have learned formulas and plug in plug out math. That's not really algebra at all.

Now, I use the Kumon workbooks for kids who need practice on doing their arithmetic facts, but I would not suggest it for pre-algebra or algebra.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:14 PM

131 posts, read 281,917 times
Get a few good textbooks on algebra from Amazon.com and link up with an algebra whiz who can teach you the basics, remember that everyone who is good at it isn't able to teach it.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I don't know about the with mastery part... I can add, subtract, and multiply easily. Long division I can do but it takes me forever. I tend to avoid it.
Something clicks for most students once they master long division. I know it sounds silly, but it really is pivotal. I have found that a lot of the strategies for teaching long division are no longer taught making it a more arduous task than it needs to be.

Quote:
As for teaching myself, I guess I am not really planning on teaching myself from scratch because I have repeated the pre-algebra enough now that I have basic ideas already in my head, I just need more time to totally comprehend them. So at least it's not like I've never seen the material before, I suppose?
It's difficult to say without working and talking with you directly, but, for most people, they often struggle in math because they have missed one concept along the way. Then, they develop this idea that they "just can't do math." Math is so scaffolded and interdependent that missing one, seemingly, small thing can make progress very difficult.

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the ideas and recommendations so far. I am fine with buying books and so forth within a certain limit, but I don't want to pay for something such as Kumon, I don't think, because it's about $120 a week. That would add up, given the time this will take me, to the same cost as taking a class for credit. Or close to it.

I have old textbooks here but I never liked the way they explain things in them, that's why I am thinking the "for Dummies" or "Idiot's guide" type books might be more helpful and they are cheap enough used on Amazon that it's no big risk.
If you have a course outline that you are trying to follow, that would be helpful. Just buying a "Dummies" book and trying to stumble through it, may cause its own frustrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education