Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 03:19 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times

Advertisements

My wife had me watch Won't back down the movie today, because she likes Viola Davis. I was somewhat surprised by the anti-teachers union message that made me wonder who's behind it? I've always been told anything from Hollywood is liberal. Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Won't Back Down

Philip Anschutz and his Christian conservative company Walden Media, who also helped to finance 2010's "documentary" Waiting for Superman financed this movie. Just like Waiting for Superman, it oversimplifies the issues and the reviews are not good.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Yeah, kinda weird that this film would be made in rabidly pro-union Hollywood by union actors, union cameramen, etc, but if there's a market for this kind of movie, it will be made. And as with all Hollywood movies (even "documentaries") the issues will be oversimplified.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, kinda weird that this film would be made in rabidly pro-union Hollywood by union actors, union cameramen, etc, but if there's a market for this kind of movie, it will be made. And as with all Hollywood movies (even "documentaries") the issues will be oversimplified.
As had been said, and I researched Phillip Anschutz (the 35th wealthiest American elitist) was the funding and the push behind the production. What caught my eye was pro union principal's. Where I'm from a principal is management and no longer a union member. My wife got on me about some of the comments I made, but being a credentialed teacher retired from a union I took a bit of offense to the portrayal of some of the characters and wondered how such a biased piece could be so mainstream.

I've always thought it ironic that a B actor, and president of the Screen Actors Guild would later become president of the United States and be known for being anti union.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
...I took a bit of offense to the portrayal of some of the characters and wondered how such a biased piece could be so mainstream.
LOL welcome to my world. All elitists have their pet projects whether they be left-wing or right-wing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education