Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:15 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I think most missed the point. I never said woman can't do any of these jobs, I meant you don't see them. Well maybe those who do live near factories and such. But I'm in Houston and I don't think I've ever seen one woman in a trade type of job. There's tons of men and millions of illegal men so women aren't doing it. Sure women work there....the receptionist at the welding business or what not but sure not on the floor.

I would think there would be a decent amount of harassment but I figured by now 2013 it wouldn't be there not really.

But like I said WHO are people talking to when they go "oh learn a trade" no one is ever jumping to attempt to recruit woman in these positions. Not from what I've seen. I know really not career is blocked gender wise but they sure aren't trying to market or do some publicity or whatever to increase the amount of women even inquiring.
Please don't take any disrespect in this comment:
I think part of the problem of you not seeing women in the trades is location. I'm from the West coast were women are given the opportunity. Like the men, some make it and some don't. When I taught apprenticeship when of my closest peers was a female Millwright instructor. She knew her stuff, and didn't put up with stuff, or gave it back twice as fast.
Heck, I even had married couples that worked for different contractors. One would work together in class, and another sat at polar opposite ends of the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Please don't take any disrespect in this comment:
I think part of the problem of you not seeing women in the trades is location. I'm from the West coast were women are given the opportunity. Like the men, some make it and some don't. When I taught apprenticeship when of my closest peers was a female Millwright instructor. She knew her stuff, and didn't put up with stuff, or gave it back twice as fast.
Heck, I even had married couples that worked for different contractors. One would work together in class, and another sat at polar opposite ends of the classroom.
Mr. W., how did the women you taught end up in your classes? Did they come from high schools? Older ones who had tried other jobs first? Families with businesses that needed the skills?

Old 02-21-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Mr. W., how did the women you taught end up in your classes? Did they come from high schools? Older ones who had tried other jobs first? Families with businesses that needed the skills?
Various ways, but it was Carpenters union apprenticeship. They'd have someone wanting to hire them, or had completed a pre-apprenticeship at a community college. They may have just applied at the local. Women, and minorities would be desirable too meet ratio's set on specific projects, and those that excelled were kept on, because of their work habits. You don't have to worry much about a women dragging in late Monday morning hung over.
Most large projects in bigger cities had such ratio's. Not too sure of all details, but I had to hire within them, and sometimes you kept a woman, or minority for the ratio, but it usually wasn't the norm. Nobody benefits being a person who only works when times are good, and they don't last long before they wash out. The building trades don't tolerate the unproductive worker.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:07 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Attitudes toward gender are fostered by parents as soon as a child is born, from the clothes the child is dressed in to the toys purchased for them. When a child goes against the norms, it may actually become newsworthy, such as when girls play on varsity football teams.

If you have a son, you buy him Tonka trucks. If you have a daughter, you buy her Barbie. If your girl wants the trucks, would you give them to her?

Women have become common as doctors and lawyers. Men have gone into nursing and elementary education.

It's just a matter of letting people know that your skills are what are valuable, not your gender.

Perhaps it needs to start with parents and continue with the educational system. Guidance counselors could certainly discuss the options with girls in high school.
I know you meant the general "you" but yes, I not only allowed my kids to play with toys of the supposed "opposite gender", I encouraged it. The boys and one girl have all been given dolls, trucks, play kitchens, sports stuff, science kits, Barbies, and so on.

When my mother worked as an HVAC tech the harassment was more likely to take the form of insisting she carry something herself when any two guys would have helped each other out (a normal 2 person job) because hey, "You wanted a man's job so there ya go!"

Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I know you meant the general "you" but yes, I not only allowed my kids to play with toys of the supposed "opposite gender", I encouraged it. The boys and one girl have all been given dolls, trucks, play kitchens, sports stuff, science kits, Barbies, and so on.

When my mother worked as an HVAC tech the harassment was more likely to take the form of insisting she carry something herself when any two guys would have helped each other out (a normal 2 person job) because hey, "You wanted a man's job so there ya go!"
Just remember there's idiots in both sexes. I've worked for women who couldn't handle authority, and my last project had a pompous female Architect, but her boss would get on his hands and knees to help me work stuff out, and showed respect for my understanding of the crafts.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Just remember there's idiots in both sexes. I've worked for women who couldn't handle authority, and my last project had a pompous female Architect, but her boss would get on his hands and knees to help me work stuff out, and showed respect for my understanding of the crafts.
Um, yeah, I was just relating my mother's experiences in a male dominated field, not saying it's always that way. She didn't have those issues when she worked as an administrative assistant, but then there were other issues and some of my worst bosses have been women.

I have come to the conclusion that people suck, in general, regardless of gender.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I think most missed the point. I never said woman can't do any of these jobs, I meant you don't see them. Well maybe those who do live near factories and such. But I'm in Houston and I don't think I've ever seen one woman in a trade type of job. There's tons of men and millions of illegal men so women aren't doing it. Sure women work there....the receptionist at the welding business or what not but sure not on the floor.

I would think there would be a decent amount of harassment but I figured by now 2013 it wouldn't be there not really.

But like I said WHO are people talking to when they go "oh learn a trade" no one is ever jumping to attempt to recruit woman in these positions. Not from what I've seen. I know really not career is blocked gender wise but they sure aren't trying to market or do some publicity or whatever to increase the amount of women even inquiring.
I live in Pearland and I have seen some. Not many, but a few.

A Woman's Touch Remodeling LC

Handywomen of Houston, Houston TX 77001

Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I live in Pearland and I have seen some. Not many, but a few.

A Woman's Touch Remodeling LC

Handywomen of Houston, Houston TX 77001
Pearland! Awww. I remember Pearland, a little. I lived there briefly, fourth grade, in a trailer park, I don't remember much except that when it flooded my mother would let me catch crawdads in the flood waters (Or maybe my brother allowed it? I don't know, sounds weird huh!?) and there was a stray dog that I adored, a German Shepherd, and she had puppies out in an old shed and I used to sit in there with her and watch her take care of them.

Then we moved to Alvin to an apartment complex with a K-Mart next to it.

Ok, apologies for my weird nostalgic trailer park childhood memory interjection to the thread, carry on!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Pearland! Awww. I remember Pearland, a little. I lived there briefly, fourth grade, in a trailer park, I don't remember much except that when it flooded my mother would let me catch crawdads in the flood waters (Or maybe my brother allowed it? I don't know, sounds weird huh!?) and there was a stray dog that I adored, a German Shepherd, and she had puppies out in an old shed and I used to sit in there with her and watch her take care of them.

Then we moved to Alvin to an apartment complex with a K-Mart next to it.

Ok, apologies for my weird nostalgic trailer park childhood memory interjection to the thread, carry on!
LOL... Pearland has changed a lot since that time.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
I'm going to guess that the more women that learn to do some of these jobs in the military, the more that will be doing them as civilians. Example: Do you see female truck, plane, car mechanics in the military?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education