Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,924,908 times

Advertisements

Basically, he is saying that the powers that be want us to be and stay stupid: Chomsky: Corporations and the Richest Americans Viscerally Oppose Common Good | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Hasn't this always been the intent of intitutionalized education?

Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
I've told my students on more than one occasion that the biggest expectation contemporary society has is for them to be prolific consumers, not critical thinkers or involved citizens.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
It is true. But on the other hand, we have to agree a society needs most people to be hard workers, not "free thinkers"...
However it is hard to draw the line.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:43 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is true. But on the other hand, we have to agree a society needs most people to be hard workers, not "free thinkers"...
Are you advocating the goal of eliminating free thinkers as part of the education that a society provides its citizens? Chomsky's speech illustrated that there was a time when workers had a lively pursuit of intellectual activity. Is free thought so incompatible with the goals of industry that the perceived goal of reducing public education to test prep centers for the automatons is actually the explicit objective?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:15 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Hasn't this always been the intent of intitutionalized education?
People seem to forget that the purpose of education is to educate the masses. If you want to be a high flier, you need to go elsewhere.

I have many days where I kick myself for forgetting this. No matter how much the government says they want subject matter experts, they will never need them as long as the focus is the bottom of the class.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
You can be both a hard worker and a free thinker. However, public education isn't the place to become a free thinker. There is simply too much you have to learn before you can think freely about anything. Public education teaches the basics. Higher education is where you develop free thinkers.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
That's an easy one - and the line is easier to draw than you might think. :-)
What the guy argues is not rocket science...

Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,614 times
I think i don´t have to say what is my opinion about Chomsky.

Non-standard intelectuals and non-standard media can be the only salvation of the world. Chomsky, reputated linguist and political activist, always say that we are controlled by the media "anti-communism" when we are voting for example.

Political thinking in the mass media are visceral, classist and racist.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I've told my students on more than one occasion that the biggest expectation contemporary society has is for them to be prolific consumers, not critical thinkers or involved citizens.
I wonder if any of the little Deltas have become critical thinkers or involved citizens. Or have they just shrugged their shoulders and gone home to watch the latest edition of Real Prolific Consumers of Beverly Hills?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education