Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 03:08 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times

Advertisements

And perhaps the biggest head-scratcher on there is one that no one has mentioned yet: B.A. in Communications? That must rank up there as one of the most worthless of all degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,924,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
And perhaps the biggest head-scratcher on there is one that no one has mentioned yet: B.A. in Communications? That must rank up there as one of the most worthless of all degrees.
I think it's less useless than a degree in history.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:51 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Is it more useless than a degree in Philosophy?

Old 03-29-2013, 01:19 PM

748 posts, read 820,446 times
List is wrong. BA. in Computer Science should be #1. It's insane how much CS grads (with strong non open source language ability, mind you) are making. More than doctors, lawyers in many cases. Tons of grads asking for, and getting $100k jobs. Huge, huge shortage of these skills in our economy.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Five degrees employers want the most - Yahoo! Education

Bachelor's in Business Administration as number 1? Is that a joke? Do they know how many jobless Master's in Business Administration graduates are out there?
When I was in college, all the football players were majoring in business, this at a D-1 school with a nationally ranked team. I. . . don't . . . think. . . so! No wonder Missy Moron or whatever her name is wants them all in the office. They're putting out some real junk!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
When I was in college, all the football players were majoring in business, this at a D-1 school with a nationally ranked team. I. . . don't . . . think. . . so! No wonder Missy Moron or whatever her name is wants them all in the office. They're putting out some real junk!
A year or two back USA Today put out a list of "major clusters" of athletes at D-I schools. The accompanying story implied that these kids were being pushed into these majors because they were easier and allowed for them to focus more on athletics. Anyways, some of the most common majors included things like sociology, criminal justice, communications and perhaps even a few business administration if my memory serves correct.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:28 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
List is wrong. BA. in Computer Science should be #1. It's insane how much CS grads (with strong non open source language ability, mind you) are making. More than doctors, lawyers in many cases. Tons of grads asking for, and getting $100k jobs. Huge, huge shortage of these skills in our economy.
Because companies are getting their computer work from India where they can pay them 30k

Old 03-31-2013, 04:35 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
A year or two back USA Today put out a list of "major clusters" of athletes at D-I schools. The accompanying story implied that these kids were being pushed into these majors because they were easier and allowed for them to focus more on athletics. Anyways, some of the most common majors included things like sociology, criminal justice, communications and perhaps even a few business administration if my memory serves correct.
You are right when I was going to Penn St. most of the football/basketball players took majors like Business, Communications, Child Development, Education, Liberal Arts, and History.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It all depends on the quality of the college. My alma mater's business school (though it's a college of only 10,000) always ranks in the top 10% and like this last year in the top 5% for business. Jocks avoided it when looking for an easy way out. The "hot" jock majors were Socialogy, Communications, PE, Recreation, and General Studies. Almost all colleges, no matter the size, have to include a couple sluff majors to hide these students possessing "special skills".

I agree that there are enumerous colleges where a BA in business management is an after-thought major.

What is really oversaturated is the MBA's thanks to all the online worthless degrees offered AND the little mom and pop business colleges bombarding the airwaves with advertising who'll take your money and enroll you even if you can't read above a 4th grade level. For large corporation employment an MBA is still a valuable thing to have, but don't think for a second that these places don't know of where the quality graduates come from and what colleges have worthless programs.

The quality of any degree is only as good as an employer's perception of where you got it.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:43 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Because companies are getting their computer work from India where they can pay them 30k
Some IT jobs, most notably ones in the DoD sector can't be outsourced to foreign countries. There is a large demand for CS majors from Defense contractors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education