Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,391,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I understand why you'd think this, and for some college is an adjustment. But, for some public and private kids college is an adjustment. I don't think it's anything these kids can't handle, it might just take some time regardless of the situation they come from.

Here is a study on home schooled children and how they adjusted to college life. You might find it an interesting read.
Transitional Experiences of First-Year College Students Who Were Homeschooled - Education News - redOrbit

The largest hurdle for a hs kid is the stereotype. But, we all deal with this to some degree. I'd say if you were a parent looking to homeschool just take into account there seems to be no difference acclimating into college than any other publicly or privately schooled child. If your child is more shy or suffers from other social challenges then just take that into account and provide some solutions for that.

There are a small number of home schoolers out there. A lot of children drop out of college not just hs'ers, little have to do with the home school in reality. College can be hard for all types of children regardless.
The point is college is an adjustment for everyone who is not used to that kind of lifestyle. If you are used to it or don't have to deal with it you have a built in advantage in that you can focus on your studies rather then adapting to a new setting largely devoid of authority figures where a young person may have their first big taste adult responsibility and adult decision making.

Furthermore, the problem with the study you linked is that it excludes all but 1 commuter and has just 5/9 students participate and live on campus which is exactly the issue. If you live with mommy and daddy through college and mommy and daddy have been controlling your academic pace and rigor there is no adjustment to make. In essence it is just further deferring independence. I would suspect that the 3/9 commuters do extraordinarily well since they are basically putting of transitioning to adulthood to focus on their studies. As I said more then 25% of Home schoolers don't actually live at college compared with only 8%> of non homeschoolers.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-09-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I dated a homeschooled girl for awhile and it was like this, exactly.

They're family was pretty emotionally abusive and obsessed with the Baptist religion. They hated me because I was Catholic...little did they know that was just a retainer label and I am actually a Wiccan.

But these are the sorts of things I've seen in some home schoolers that I have met. Many are stable, but very sheltered so when they encounter new things they get defensive quickly; I lost a lot of home schooled friends because of my religious beliefs (which I practice minimally at best) because I was too "impure". Others turn out crazy neurotic because their life has been all about them up until college.

Is this normal? I sure hope not, but my personal experience suggests otherwise. One home schooled friend of mine who is now my best friend is the greatest guy ever and we have done some crazy, immoral and maybe illegal things together and he is the best. You'd never know he was raised in a conservative religious household.
Well, the girl could just as well have been very religious and attended public school or a home schooled atheist. Just your luck of the draw. lol

I think you might want to date a wide variety of people, and lose the (retainer) need to hide your beliefs. Allow people to seek you for your Wiccan belief then you'll share in it instead of hiding it. Just my opinion being an atheist, at some point you have to just be happy with what you believe and stand for. I know it's difficult when you are the minority and people stereotype you.

That's the main reason for coming out as you are and letting people know not all Wiccans, home schoolers, or any other stereotypes are true for everyone. Just my opinion. Totally different thread though.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
The public school system that I went through was amazing. The sheer number of opportunities you have for learning would make it a clear winner in my opinion.

My school had an awesome computer science program, Criminal justice program, Vocational training, cooking classes, A highly ranked NJROTC unit, and the list goes on and on.

Not to mention all of the excellent extra-cirricular activites that the school offers. In most areas home schooled children can participate though.
I believe I've been to that school as a judge for a computer graphic competition event a few years ago. The kids were great. I've never seen a public school like this before and amazing is the word for it.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
The point is college is an adjustment for everyone who is not used to that kind of lifestyle if you are used to it or don't have to deal with it you have a built in advantage. In that you can focus on your studies rather then adapting to a new setting largely devoid of authority figures where a young person may have their first big taste adult responsibility and adult decision making.

Furthermore the problem with the study you linked is that it excludes all but 1 commuter and has just 5/9 participating students who live on campus which is exactly the issue. If you live with mommy and daddy through college and mommy and daddy have been controlling your academic pace and rigor there is no adjustment to make. In essence it is just further deferring independence. I would suspect that the 3/9 commuters do extraordinarily well since they are basically putting of transitioning to adulthood to focus on their studies. As I said more then 25% of Home schoolers don't actually live at college compared with only 8%> of non homeschoolers.
I can sort of see your logic but why do you apply it to home schooled children? What you say holds true for everyone. Their might be 30 hs'ed kids out of the population in any given college or university, yet over half of those in college will drop out by the end. Far more than 30 kids live at home while attending college generally for a lot of reasons, like affordability for example. Several studies still show hs kids do better academically in college than public schooled kids. They adjust. I don't really get your debate. Do you think all kids in general would benefit from boarding schools for high school? This benefit you talk about is hardly an affordable option for all parents.
Also, adjusting to living on your own for high school would carry the same issues just 4 years earlier. IMO.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:37 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Quote:
I can sort of see your logic but why do you apply it to home schooled children? What you say holds true for everyone. Their might be 30 hs'ed kids out of the population in any given college or university, yet over half of those in college will drop out by the end. Far more than 30 kids live at home while attending college generally for a lot of reasons, like affordability for example. Several studies still show hs kids do better academically in college than public schooled kids. They adjust. I don't really get your debate. Do you think all kids in general would benefit from boarding schools for high school? This benefit you talk about is hardly an affordable option for all parents.
Also, adjusting to living on your own for high school would carry the same issues just 4 years earlier. IMO.
I agree with this. I'm not understanding the argument. There is a girl in my neighborhood who graduated from high school (public) last year and is now living at home because she dropped out of her university (which she lived at). Living away from home for the first time is an adjustment for everyone, no matter whether they do it at age 14 in a boarding school or at age 18 at a university or at age 22 when they graduate, or at age 25 when they get married. I guess a case could be made for putting kids in boarding school at when they enter first grade... or institutionalizing them when they're born, that way they never have to adjust to living away from their parents, but what would be the point? All of us have to go through this transition at some point.

As for homeschooling parents closely directing their high schoolers' education, I think that there might be some misinformation in the form of "that homeschooling family" that everyone knows. The homeschooled highschoolers that I know don't actually sit with their mommies at the kitchen table to do their learning; they are largely self-taught. That's why when you read articles about how well homeschoolers do in college, the recruiters tend to say things like, "homeschoolers are very self-directed and able to function well in a college setting." It's because they have been doing so for years. The type of direction that you give a homeschooled first grader and the type that you give a homeschooled tenth grader are two wildly different things. Why wouldn't they be?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I agree with this. I'm not understanding the argument. There is a girl in my neighborhood who graduated from high school (public) last year and is now living at home because she dropped out of her university (which she lived at). Living away from home for the first time is an adjustment for everyone, no matter whether they do it at age 14 in a boarding school or at age 18 at a university or at age 22 when they graduate, or at age 25 when they get married. I guess a case could be made for putting kids in boarding school at when they enter first grade... or institutionalizing them when they're born, that way they never have to adjust to living away from their parents, but what would be the point? All of us have to go through this transition at some point.

As for homeschooling parents closely directing their high schoolers' education, I think that there might be some misinformation in the form of "that homeschooling family" that everyone knows. The homeschooled highschoolers that I know don't actually sit with their mommies at the kitchen table to do their learning; they are largely self-taught. That's why when you read articles about how well homeschoolers do in college, the recruiters tend to say things like, "homeschoolers are very self-directed and able to function well in a college setting." It's because they have been doing so for years. The type of direction that you give a homeschooled first grader and the type that you give a homeschooled tenth grader are two wildly different things. Why wouldn't they be?
I agree. People need to stop generalizing. Dealing with these issues at any age is part of maturing, I don't see anyone escaping this regardless of schooling choices.

At any rate if it were only home schooled kids buckling under the adjustment to college life I doubt it would even rank as a topic. Not that many of us, certainly not compared to the number of kids lacking adjustment to the college environment. Seems that's everyones problem. Parents hover in and out of public school, there is no bias there. A hovering parent arrests growth: study Plenty of public schools deal with helicopter parents. Home schooling doesn't mean we don't teach them how to tie their shoes or make themselves dinner. lol

Old 05-09-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
It does hold true for everyone. With that said by your own citations homeschool kids are 3x+ more likely not to live at school. It is a 92.7% vs 72.4% figure. Which means a good amount of those kids are not adjusting to independent life.

What I am suggesting is that part of the reason HS kids do better in college is because well over 1/4 of them never actually go off to college at least as freshmen. They are enrolled in college and likely stay at home. Less then 8% of non home schooled kids follow this pattern. As such it doesn't surprise me that they do better. They are under the watchful eye of their parents the whole time. I suspect that online colleges will make this problem even worse.

I would also suspect that part of why homeschoolers do better is because as was already mentioned the home school failures are dumped right back into traditional schools where the statistics will be assigned differently.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 05-09-2013 at 10:21 AM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM

I know, it's terrible that homeschoolers are doing well in college and in life, and that they have parental support. *sigh*

Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I know, it's terrible that homeschoolers are doing well in college and in life, and that they have parental support. *sigh*
When you are not adapting to life independent from your parents all through college that is pretty bad. My father, uncle, and several of my cousins left home for school in their early teens and while that is questionable not leaving home for at least some time by your 20s is imho an issue.

The fact is if only in the low 70% range of them going to college launch from then nest to do so that would suggest their are issues with "doing well in...life"

Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM

Well, since nearly half of Americans drop out of college, I guess nearly half of us are not doing well in life. Or maybe, I don't know, people just choose to do different things. Many homeschoolers don't buy into the "you have to go and live in a dormitory and party in order to succeed as an adult at some point in the future" mentality that seems pretty popular in our society. Ask random adults how many of them attribute their overall success to dorm life, and I think you'll find that the percentage is quite low.

Also, where are you getting your stats from? According to the New York Times, about half of all college students live at home. Since a very tiny part of them were homeschooled, I'm not sure where this 90%/72% figure is coming from.

ETA: The very fact that you posted the Student Health Service link shows that lots of kids have trouble adjusting to college, regardless of where they were educated. Since the vast majority of kids go to public school, this says that the article is mainly aimed at those who have graduated from a public school and now are having trouble adjusting to college life. I'm very confused at the leap of logic that you are trying to create here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education