Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 AM

126 posts, read 301,567 times

Advertisements

I have a girl entering kindergarten this September. We don't speak English at home. she is very shy and hardly speak to any other adult. Although she has been in daycare for three years, she only speaks to her friends, We are quite worried that her shyness will limit her development. I am thinking about hiring a high school student to help her with this in after school time. But I don't have any detailed information about how can I find good teacher for her.

I heard that high school have program for future teachers in high school to pick elementary kids and tutor them. Appreciate any input from you~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysinger View Post
I have a girl entering kindergarten this September. We don't speak English at home. she is very shy and hardly speak to any other adult. Although she has been in daycare for three years, she only speaks to her friends, We are quite worried that her shyness will limit her development. I am thinking about hiring a high school student to help her with this in after school time. But I don't have any detailed information about how can I find good teacher for her.

I heard that high school have program for future teachers in high school to pick elementary kids and tutor them. Appreciate any input from you~~
You may want to check out selective mutism, if she won't speak to her daycare teachers.

Selective Mutism Group ~ Childhood Anxiety Network — Selective Mutism Group

I think that you would have to check with your particular district on a program where high school students would tutor for free. It doesn't seem to be usual here since the kids in high school are across town in a different school from the kindergarten students. It is possible that her school will have a peer mentor program where children who are a few grades above her would come and read to her. Also, I would talk to her daycare teachers and see what they say about her academic development.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Depending on where you live and what language you speak in the home, you may find a class that is bilingual in the school for her. Many of the schools in our area have spanish/english bilingual classes where the teacher is fluent in both languages and teaches alternately in both.

If that is not available there may be ESL classes instead, English as a Second Language, that will be a good choice.

As far as high school student that is in Future Teachers of America type programs, they are not in the school to teach a second language and trying to hire one to teach your daughter a new language may or may not be allowed within the program.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,599,904 times
They will have ESL tutors at her school, but they will provide her education in an English speaking classroom. Since she has been in daycare for 3 years I think she'll be fine. Children at that age learn languages quickly. If you really want to help her you should try speaking some english in the home. Even if it is just a little bit. Maybe have her teach you little words. That will give her confidence that it's okay to speak English, but also her native language.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM

126 posts, read 301,567 times
Thanks everybody! Thanks Nana053, I will check the website you recommended.
Actually, my daughter's daycare teacher is quite positive about my daughter's English. My girl does not have any problem communicating with friends, she can express when she feels comfortable. She can sing or recite poems to all class and attend the drama. Her academic level now is already in Grade1 level including reading ,writing.
However on the day she has ESL test at future elementary school, she does not want to open her mouth. I think that's also the reason that she cannot pass the entrance exam in private school.
I do know my kid does not have problem with language itself, but she does have problem of talking to adults. I just want to try to help her to overcome the worry in herself when speaking to older person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education