Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 07:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,590,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Coaches make $55K per year just to coach? Around here it is more like $3,000 for coaching. Teachers who coach might make $55K if you count their teaching salary plus the coaching stipend but they don't make $55K just for coaching. WOW.
No I had said before all our coaches are teachers first, then coaches. The beginning teacher salary is around $48,000 and the stipend for a head baseball coach is around $7500. For each year experience teaching the rate goes up. There are some teachers, who are coaches, that make closer to $100,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
Some yes or so the story goes. Some of the gross stories out of Texas are mildly true.....maybe not 100% accurate but relatively true. However, In my experience it is head football positions that are being paid those salaries and not your head baseball coaches. Even baseball academy instructors aren't making that kind of money.
As I had said before, there are no coaches who only coach. They are all teachers first, then get their coaching stipend added on.

There are some football coaches who have been teaching for 25+ years who make a total of $100,000

Stipends for taking on extra duties are all over the place. The Math department head gets $2000 extra for holding that position while the head baseball coach gets $7500 extra, the Assistant Band Director gets $9250 extra and the Cheerleader sponsor gets $6000.

Go figure. lol

Old 04-15-2013, 07:25 AM

7,964 posts, read 7,314,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The United States is one of the few countries in the world where scholastic athletic competition is heavily-emphasized.
First of all, it does not matter what other countries do or don't do.

Studies have shown that kids who participate in athletics are generally healthier (obviously) and they also do better academically. This is particularly true of female student athletes.

If athletics were suddenly banned from public schools would the same numbers of students still participate in athletics?

Would we see a rush of wealthy and middle-class athletes away from public schools into private schools?

Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM

10,295 posts, read 10,541,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
No I had said before all our coaches are teachers first, then coaches. The beginning teacher salary is around $48,000 and the stipend for a head baseball coach is around $7500. For each year experience teaching the rate goes up. There are some teachers, who are coaches, that make closer to $100,000.
The Pittsburgh area appears to be slightly less for a head baseball coach. I checked the school board minutes at several districts and found the current salaries at four Pittsburgh area schools:
$2841
$6199
$5507
$5052

The $5507 salary was at one of the largest and most affluent school districts.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
In my 9 years of teaching I've only ever heard of one English / Language Arts Teacher coaching and that was a head football coach at a prestigious catholic high school in Cleveland, Ohio. Rarely and I mean RARELY do you see English teachers as coaches.
I think most head football coaches around here all teach athletics and PE since most of them are also the athletic directors of the school.

At my daughter's school..various coaches teach Algebra, Aquatic science, Chemistry, History, Communications, and PE.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,829,877 times
Quote:
Your earlier post made it sound like the baseball coach made $55K per year to coach. If you have 20 players each on the freshman, jv and varsity team the head coach's stipend is about $7500 per year you have $125 per player attributable to the coach's salary. Presumably someone would have to fill his $55K per year teaching job whether he was the baseball coach or not so you can't count that as a baseball related cost.

I prefer coaches who are also teachers. They tend to be able to keep their players in line better than coaches who aren't at school all day. Where I live some coaches are teachers (most) but there are coaches who are not teachers.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Stipends for taking on extra duties are all over the place.
But people only whine about athletics. I think activities are really important whether they are athletic or not.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I think most head football coaches around here all teach athletics and PE since most of them are also the athletic directors of the school.

At my daughter's school..various coaches teach Algebra, Aquatic science, Chemistry, History, Communications, and PE.
I am seeing trend away from athletic directors being the head football coach AND athletic director. Our school had the position structured that way for a very long time. However, they recently fired the person who held both jobs and filled each job with a separate individual. Our athletic department has gotten so busy that it was not possible for one person to do both jobs and the rest of the athletic department suffered during football season. Our new athletic director is a woman who has coaching experience but is not currently coaching. Our new head football coach is the former defensive coordinator.

At our school coaches teach all kinds of classes. My son's current 8th grade Literature teacher is the JV Girls Basketball coach. His Civics teacher coaches Boys Jr. High Basketball. Our new head JV football coach will be teaching HS English next year. My older boys had a 7th grade math teacher who coached both football and baseball. Our former offensive coordinator taught Marine Biology. We have more teacher/coaches than that but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. All of the heads of the other activities are also teachers. Our school likes to have people who have ties to the school other than just being a coach.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Your earlier post made it sound like the baseball coach made $55K per year to coach. If you have 20 players each on the freshman, jv and varsity team the head coach's stipend is about $7500 per year you have $125 per player attributable to the coach's salary. Presumably someone would have to fill his $55K per year teaching job whether he was the baseball coach or not so you can't count that as a baseball related cost.

I prefer coaches who are also teachers. They tend to be able to keep their players in line better than coaches who aren't at school all day. Where I live some coaches are teachers (most) but there are coaches who are not teachers.
My apologies, I figured it would be clearer based on what I had already posted before.

Regarding the baseball coach and their stipend, there is no one around who will become a baseball coach for only $7500.....

Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,206,481 times
Quote:
In my 9 years of teaching I've only ever heard of one English / Language Arts Teacher coaching and that was a head football coach at a prestigious catholic high school in Cleveland, Ohio. Rarely and I mean RARELY do you see English teachers as coaches.
We have one in middle school..8th ELA and I just subbed for one at our HS who also has AP English.

This past week was full of golf, ag, baseball, track events and I was non-stop subbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education