Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:15 PM

4,860 posts, read 6,924,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Do high school baseball teams have summer seasons nowadays? They might have baseball camp or something but I never heard of them having a season.

High school football nowadays has camp in the summer, I think.
How high school baseball is conducted depends solely on the state. For instance, in Iowa they play the high school season starting within a couple weeks of the end of school extending into July. In South Dakota, the season starts at the end of March (provided that there isn't still a foot of snow on the field) and is completed in May. During the summer months VFW teener baseball and Legion baseball is played in SD while in Iowa, Legion baseball has been essentially eliminated due to the high school season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times
You would certainly see a trickle-down and trickle-up effect that would impact virtually every corner of society. I'll give you a small example. In my district, which is a low SES one, sports keep our kids out of trouble. We have kids that are so busy that they don't have time to get into trouble. In a rural area such as ours, where you travel 35+ miles to get to a Walmart or a movie theater, sports provides a much-needed escape and release for so many of our kids, and I am thankful for that as a teacher. No matter how much I get frustrated when students get let out at 2:15 for a ballgame, or get hit up for the 10th time for that 50/50 raffle for the basketball team, I remember how sports can make a great impact on a kid.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges.

History Day is co-curricular much like speech and debate, the geography bee, or choir. Students who participate in the after-school activities are members of a class in which most of the work is done in conjunction to the curriculum that is being taught. These are also one-time events. In my experience, students who participate in these events must fund their own way with little assistance from the school.

Sports are extra-curricular. Students who participate in sports do so after school. Most of the time it is the school that pays for these kids to go on trips and to travel several times each season to various locations.

I am not anti-sports, I would just like to see many activities get the same level of assistance that sports receives from the district.
So let me get this straight: do you believe that sports are not co-curricular? Why?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
So let me get this straight: do you believe that sports are not co-curricular? Why?
By definition, a co-curricular is an outside activity that complements the regular curriculum of a class. Examples of co-curricular activities include speech and debate, choir, Model UN, etc. These activities draw upon the lessons and the curriculum of classes conducted during the school day. Usually enrollment in the class is a requirement for participation in the after school activity.

An extracurricular activity is an outside activity that does not fall within the scope of the regular curriculum. These activities include school-sponsored sports. These activities do not draw upon the lessons of any particular class, and membership in a class is not a prerequisite for participation.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Do high school baseball teams have summer seasons nowadays? They might have baseball camp or something but I never heard of them having a season.

High school football nowadays has camp in the summer, I think.
High school baseball teams do not have a summer season around here, and high school baseball is HUGE here. I don't believe they have camps, either. Most of the athletes here play multiple sports, so it wouldn't work.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
My apologies, I figured it would be clearer based on what I had already posted before.

Regarding the baseball coach and their stipend, there is no one around who will become a baseball coach for only $7500.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
High school baseball teams do not have a summer season around here, and high school baseball is HUGE here. I don't believe they have camps, either. Most of the athletes here play multiple sports, so it wouldn't work.
Iowa plays high school baseball and softball in the summer. I'm not aware of any other state that plays in the summer.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Iowa plays high school baseball and softball in the summer. I'm not aware of any other state that plays in the summer.
Here in FL (where baseball is huge) many high school kids play on summer teams but there is no summer high school season. Many sports have off season travel teams and camps in the summer but as far as know they are not mandatory. They can be quite costly but they provide kids with something to do in the summers.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:49 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
In Pennsylvania the HS baseball season starts around March 22 and all regular season games must be complete by May 20 which is the start of Districts (playoffs).

Many HS ballplayers also play travel, Babe Ruth, and/or Legion ball into the summer. One of my sons will play Babe Ruth this summer while the other has opted to focus on basketball after the HS baseball season is done.

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would advocate doing away with school sports especially now, given the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country.

Not all kids live in wealthy areas with access to quality rec or travel programs, and not all kids have parents who would drive them all over the place for rec or travel practice and games.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
But the schools are not doing away with it. They fiddle with budgets, rearrange teaching positions, etc. to keep sports going.

I've seen where the teachers/coaches got their CDL so they could drive the bus to save some money.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:36 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
I don't even have a dog in this fight. My kids go to a small Catholic school so I am paying tuition plus school tax but I believe sports programs are good for kids not just physically, but also academically and self-esteemwise (especially for girls).

Heck, if my local district eliminated sports I'd save on my taxes and our Catholic school would get an influx of middle class student athlete/refugees, but I don't want to see that happen to the public schools because a lot of kids would simply be shut out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education