Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times

Advertisements

at 12 years old.

Meet the family who sent six kids to college by age 12 - TODAY.com

Quote:
At 7, when many kids figure they might be firemen, Seth announced he would be a military archeologist. His mom, Mona Lisa, encouraged that curiosity. "Wow! That kid was into this!" she marvels.

By 12, Seth was hanging out with students nearly twice his age, studying the Middle Ages at Faulkner University, near his home in Montgomery, Alabama. "How's he doing?" I ask assistant professor Grover Plunkett.

"He's got the highest average in the class."
The mom says the kids are average, but they don't sound average to me. Still it shows what the love of learning can do and how homeschooling can work for the brightest kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,530,004 times
Military Archeology and History? To me that is a waste of brilliance. To each their own.

I wish we could home school our kids but we must work.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 AM

36 posts, read 115,068 times
There are also drawbacks. When you get moved into a class so far ahead of you it becomes difficult to form bonds or friendships with people. There is an age gap, especially in the case of adults and kids/teens.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:20 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,720,437 times
I saw that. So great! It seems like the kids are socializing plenty with other kids; college is in addition to their "regular lives." When we don't draw a big line in the sand between learning and life, this is what's possible.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Is there a monetary savings on homeschooling, too? I'm thinking you don't have to buy school clothes on the other hand, it probably means one spouse doesn't work.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,270,687 times
I try to keep an open mind about these sorts of things and have cast aside most of my prior beliefs about homeschooling and "unschooling" and if done right, I think homeschooling can be a viable alternative to traditional schooling.

However my "if it's too good to be true" meter is going off. Meaning I think a few of the facts are being embellished a bit.

...Or this article is purposely being vague to sell books.

---

I am genuinely interested in the family's methods of learning. I would like to know the proficiency of these kids in all areas; if they are well rounded. I would like to know if these kids do have above average IQs, and decent social skills.

Ironically and interestingly, I think there's a new set of peer pressure within the family to go to college early so now that's an external motivator in itself.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Is there a monetary savings on homeschooling, too? I'm thinking you don't have to buy school clothes on the other hand, it probably means one spouse doesn't work.
You don't have to buy school clothes, but of course you still have to buy clothes. Usually one spouse doesn't work. So there's the loss of an income, but also the loss of before/after school expenses, work clothes for that spouse, gas, wear and tear on the car, etc. You do have to buy your own curriculum, but we spend very little on curriculum... a couple hundred per year, probably, because we make very good use of our public library. We save on some things, like educational discounts on historical societies and sometimes museums... but if our kids went to school and had a field trip, then we'd be getting the same price. No private school tuition, if you would otherwise go that route. No paying for school lunch, and there's not as much need to buy individually packaged foods to make packing lunches easier. My kids eat leftovers for lunch a lot of the time; otherwise, I might make them pasta salad or mac and cheese or grilled cheese or a ham sandwich, plus a piece of fruit and a handful of chips from a bigger bag. Then again, they're home and can graze all day if they want to, which they sometimes do. We probably spend more money on gas, because our kids don't just get on the bus; I have to drive them around to their various activities. Then again, if I drove them to school, then it is not much of a savings (two children, two different schools... the middle school is close by, but the elementary school is several miles away, and I'd be making the trip twice per day).

I think it probably evens out, financially speaking, unless one parent is leaving a well-paying job.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
I have a few problems with home schooling. If you are in a neighborhood with really bad schools and you cannot afford to move, maybe it would be the better of two evils.

I think the cases that we hear of are the success stories. I would like to see a psychological study that ensures these kids are well adjusted and interact well with peers.

I would like some assurance that parents are actually doing their duty in home schooling and are not doing it to brainwash the kids in some way.

I also think pedophiles might love to see their kids 'home schooled'.

The major problem, here, is that there is no nationwide mandate concerning inspecting these kids, testing them, interviewing them to see that they are developing psychologically. I had a next door neighbor who did not speak English. Her kid was exceptionally noisy with no attention span. This went on for years until the kid started going to public school. The school caught this and the kid is now in therapy and much improved. Some parents are just negligent.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have a few problems with home schooling. If you are in a neighborhood with really bad schools and you cannot afford to move, maybe it would be the better of two evils.

I think the cases that we hear of are the success stories. I would like to see a psychological study that ensures these kids are well adjusted and interact well with peers.

I would like some assurance that parents are actually doing their duty in home schooling and are not doing it to brainwash the kids in some way.

I also think pedophiles might love to see their kids 'home schooled'.

The major problem, here, is that there is no nationwide mandate concerning inspecting these kids, testing them, interviewing them to see that they are developing psychologically. I had a next door neighbor who did not speak English. Her kid was exceptionally noisy with no attention span. This went on for years until the kid started going to public school. The school caught this and the kid is now in therapy and much improved. Some parents are just negligent.
I would like to see a psychological study that ensures all public school kids are well adjusted and interact appropriately with peers. There is no nationwide mandate to psychologically interview kids, public schooled, private schooled or otherwise. And you know, a lot of kids in school have major, major problems. I don't see them being taken out of school or taken out of their homes.

Child abuse/neglect and homeschooling are not correlated. If you think that a child is being abused, then you should call the authorities. Homeschooling does not mean that a parent is a pedophile or is abusing their child. That's like saying a stay-at-home mom of a preschool-aged child or an infant is a pedophile or abusing her child. Where would that absurd idea even come from?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I would like to see a psychological study that ensures all public school kids are well adjusted and interact appropriately with peers. There is no nationwide mandate to psychologically interview kids, public schooled, private schooled or otherwise. And you know, a lot of kids in school have major, major problems. I don't see them being taken out of school or taken out of their homes.

Child abuse/neglect and homeschooling are not correlated. If you think that a child is being abused, then you should call the authorities. Homeschooling does not mean that a parent is a pedophile or is abusing their child. That's like saying a stay-at-home mom of a preschool-aged child or an infant is a pedophile or abusing her child. Where would that absurd idea even come from?
Start by taking away their cell phones. Technology really hinders appropriate interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education