Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 08:11 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times

Advertisements

You are really off base here and I think you have misunderstood her post.

I'm not sure why you show up here and immediately start attacking a one of our regulars. Except for the people who pop in from time to time to stir things up, we are, for the most part, a pretty respectable bunch. We may not always agree with each other, but the regulars here are courteous to one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
The school is there to TEACH! How about getting rid of all teachers teaching just to have summers off!

Do you think all children come from the same house??? with the same resources? do you think that people stuck working at Walmart should not send their kids to school at all because they work so many hours they no longer have time to spend doing homework? how about hiring teachers to HELP these kids! Man these republicans are destroying this country like roaches! As Americans we are already laughed at because of the level of general education is so lacking! Kids coming from Europe have to be bumped up a few classes here just to be at the same level! that's embarrassing! How much dumber do you need people do be here exactly??? they are already fat as hell! now they should be fat and dumb??? you've got to be kidding!

As a matter of fact schools should provide extra help to those kids who are not at the same level. Have homework help, don't send them to some after school crap where they play video games rather than focus on homework!!! The whole approach to school here is ridiculously loose and lack professionalism. Private schools extort parents to teach what EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL ON THE PLANET should teach...colleges do the same, the whole thing is a major joke, and then all these poeple have to get jobs to pay back these ridiculous loans that they should have never had! you expect to have robot employees, super educated yet more than half have no idea where Australia is! The education system here is a JOKE.

Maybe clean up those classrooms because they are ADHD Heavens with a million things spread all the walls...clean the clutter and focus their attention on one thing at the time, you'd be surprised at how well they'll start to do. You've got a million teachers unemployed instead of being busy at schools helping kids, and then have the nerve to complain? how hypocritical!!!! wow!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-28-2013 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
The school is there to TEACH!
Yes, they are. They need to do it in a manner that best serves all students, not just one or two groups.

Quote:
Do you think all children come from the same house??? with the same resources? do you think that people stuck working at Walmart should not send their kids to school at all because they work so many hours they no longer have time to spend doing homework?
No I don't, I probably know that better than the average person. The solution, however, is not to make every other child sit around while the teacher tries to teach 3-4 kids their colors.

Quote:
how about hiring teachers to HELP these kids!
I agree and I think we should put them in a class where they can be caught up. Really, I think they should take kids who are not prepared with basic information, like their colors, when entering kindergarten in tiny little classes that spend a year teaching those things. Then they should enter kindergarten the next year.

Quote:
As a matter of fact schools should provide extra help to those kids who are not at the same level.
I feel that can be done by putting them in classes that go at their speed.

Quote:
Have homework help, don't send them to some after school crap where they play video games rather than focus on homework!!! The whole approach to school here is ridiculously loose and lack professionalism. Private schools extort parents to teach what EVERY SINGLE SCHOOL ON THE PLANET should teach...colleges do the same, the whole thing is a major joke, and then all these poeple have to get jobs to pay back these ridiculous loans that they should have never had! you expect to have robot employees, super educated yet more than half have no idea where Australia is! The education system here is a JOKE.

Maybe clean up those classrooms because they are ADHD Heavens with a million things spread all the walls...clean the clutter and focus their attention on one thing at the time, you'd be surprised at how well they'll start to do. You've got a million teachers unemployed instead of being busy at schools helping kids, and then have the nerve to complain? how hypocritical!!!! wow!
Psst -I'm a teacher. Not sure what your real issue is here.....

Old 04-27-2013, 10:51 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
There is really no such thing as homogeneous classes. But now we can use tablets and allow each kid to progress at each subject at his/her rate.

I don't see why this could not have been done with books long ago with a National Recommended Reading List. It is more like school is designed to create conformity. If every kid is doing his own thing at his own rate then how can they be indoctrinated to compete?

psik

Old 04-27-2013, 11:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
There is really no such thing as homogeneous classes. But now we can use tablets and allow each kid to progress at each subject at his/her rate.

I don't see why this could not have been done with books long ago with a National Recommended Reading List. It is more like school is designed to create conformity. If every kid is doing his own thing at his own rate then how can they be indoctrinated to compete?

psik
Because computers can be programmed to monitor individual student progress and alter lesson plans to suit their pace. That is impossible with one teacher and 30 students, but using computers/tablets to let students progress at their own pace won't work because some students will choose reverse for their speed. My school uses a self pacing computer program to remediate students who have failed classes. Most fail the computer remediation because they pace too slow and don't finish. One charter school I know of tried online self paced classes only to find most of the students did not complete enough of the material to get credit for the class. The problem with self paced learning is most student will go VERY SLOW. You need a motivated student for self paced learning to work.

AGAIN with the call for a national reading list???? What do you think having one will accomplish. So the government tells our kids what to read. What value do you see in that? IMO, the government telling me to read something is probably reason to read something else.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem with self paced learning is most student will go VERY SLOW. You need a motivated student for self paced learning to work.
Isn't that the truth! It sounds good in theory, but like a lot of theories, it doesn't work in the real world. Education "experts" tend to forget that student behavior isn't a constant predictable variable.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
AGAIN with the call for a national reading list???? What do you think having one will accomplish. So the government tells our kids what to read. What value do you see in that? IMO, the government telling me to read something is probably reason to read something else.
I never said it was for the government to tell us what to read. It would be suggestions only. Where did I mention the government? If it is national does it have to involve the government?

What was Catcher in the Rye for? How many American kids had to read that?

The point is to make it easy to avoid the vast majority of crappy books on every subject. It will probably only help kids that wnt to learn things but then how many kids have been turned off because of so much BS to wade through? Off course it does make me wonder why people claiming to be teachers didn't do it long ago. But I have had plenty of teachers who behaved as though they were necessary to learn anything.

But this is pretty funny:

http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=19889

psik

Old 04-27-2013, 02:03 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Isn't that the truth! It sounds good in theory, but like a lot of theories, it doesn't work in the real world. Education "experts" tend to forget that student behavior isn't a constant predictable variable.
I call that "The Communism Theory". That's when something sounds good and sounds like it should work, but when you factor in human nature, everything goes to hell in a hand basket.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:14 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Heterogeneous classrooms should start very early for subjects like math and English Language Arts, and perhaps even science. I'm thinking that perhaps 4th grade or so is not too early.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Heterogeneous classrooms should start very early for subjects like math and English Language Arts, and perhaps even science. I'm thinking that perhaps 4th grade or so is not too early.
Classrooms are de facto heterogeneous. The tracking process is what homogenizes them. You might be mixing up terms?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Just to throw another twist on homogeneous groupings. It would make my life SO MUCH EASIER as a teacher. Not having to differentiate would mean a lot less work for me. I could test everything I teach in all classes. This would be a dream come true for teachers. However, I can't argue that it's necessary beyond getting the kids who slow things down out of the classroom. They are the ones who need a special education to make progress.

Homogeneous groupings will never happen except, maybe, in the largest school districts because there aren't enough teachers. Most districts can't fill a class of 25 with a homogeneous grouping. You couldn't even take 4 chemistry classes, four math classes, four english classes etc, etc, etc... and enroll by quartile in my school without creating a scheduling nightmare.

What happens now is that the teacher teaches on multiple levels then the bright kids finish their homework in class while the kids who need help get help in class and the bottom just doesn't bother to even try. The bright kids get the reward of no homework, the middle kids have homework but should leave class knowing how to do it and the bottom just isn't going to bother no matter what we do. I see them as needing something special.

Personally, I don't see homogeneous groupings as serving all students. I don't think grouping the middle with the top does anyone a disservice and I know it helps the middle. They benefit by hearing the answers to the questions the top asks. They also benefit by being grouped with top students. Those top students benefit in that by helping their peers, they reinforce their own knowledge and they seem to generate more questions as they go through the explanations with their lab partners. Interestingly, I let my kids pick their own lab partners and do not see top kids choosing to group with top kids. I have a problem with bottom kids choosing to group with bottom kids but the top seem to like to be the leaders in the group. They would lose that in a homogenous grouping.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-28-2013 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: Removed orphaned comments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education