Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM

298 posts, read 332,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Let's take a step further, let's let kids decide if they even need to take these tests or attend school, since we're assuming that they're mature enough to do so. Let's let them take their debit cards and roam the streets during the day with thousands of dollars to spend as they choose. Even if most of them have terrible adulthoods because of decisions they made when they didn't know any better, at least they'll have a few years of fun at taxpayer expense.

I hate when older adults say "when they didn't know any better." That's just arrogant.

When you're 13, everyone is capable of making rational decisions if they really want to.

If you want to wait until everyone is capable of making those decisions consistently, then you need to wait until 25 or 30, not 18.

Take a look at an average college freshman. I wouldn't see them as any more mature than the 8th graders everyone complains about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
Based on the teacher's responses of "Yeah. Sure. Whatever. Just make sure to close the door." it sounds like it was true.

If you actually liked teaching, you would be outraged that someone is insulting you.

Also, if she just sits down and hands out packets every day, it's also logical that many of them use their phones in class, so when he starts talking, they just turn the camera on and start recording.
Maybe this teacher does a good job and the students are consistently insulting. I've seen similar situations before.

Sometimes the best reaction is no reaction and to let the student walk out. Sometimes it's better to not engage an irate student.

Also, there's almost never any legitimate reason why any student should be recording anything in a public school classroom. Hopefully the student behind the video is reprimanded.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I hate when older adults say "when they didn't know any better." That's just arrogant.

When you're 13, everyone is capable of making rational decisions if they really want to.

If you want to wait until everyone is capable of making those decisions consistently, then you need to wait until 25 or 30, not 18.

Take a look at an average college freshman. I wouldn't see them as any more mature than the 8th graders everyone complains about.
It's not arrogance, it's the truth. Most students at 15 or 16, let alone 9 or 10, are capable of making rational decisions with their best long-term interests in mind. And I actually agree with your point about 18-year olds, but there are certainly a higher proportion of students that age with solid judgement than those at age 13.

I have a lot of experience working with 8th graders. They can be very mature about things at times, but most kids that age still have a lot of room to grow mentally and emotionally.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM

The larger point I'm trying to make is that simply based on one 90 second video clip I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions or assumptions that what this student is implying is complete truth. Particularly based on my experience of spending significant amounts of time in various schools.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Maybe this teacher does a good job and the students are consistently insulting. I've seen similar situations before.

Sometimes the best reaction is no reaction and to let the student walk out. Sometimes it's better to not engage an irate student.

Also, there's almost never any legitimate reason why any student should be recording anything in a public school classroom. Hopefully the student behind the video is reprimanded.

What's wrong with recording anything?

Is the teacher afraid of their lousy teaching methods being recorded to the public?

And yeah, I know it's possible, but if it's true, then the principal would know that said person is a good teacher and she would have nothing to worry about.

And giving no reaction gives the impression that you know the criticism is true.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I heard the part about "coming in here and being handed packets" and there is a lot of truth to that about some teachers.
The kids in school these days have packets coming out of their ears.
Few classes use the textbooks and there's only one set kept in the classroom.
Might be different where you live but that's all that I see around here..packets.
But that's not the teacher's fault. I know a few of them and unfortunately, they are told to give the packets because it relates to whatever state test that they have to give at the end of the year.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
It's not arrogance, it's the truth. Most students at 15 or 16, let alone 9 or 10, are capable of making rational decisions with their best long-term interests in mind. And I actually agree with your point about 18-year olds, but there are certainly a higher proportion of students that age with solid judgement than those at age 13.

I have a lot of experience working with 8th graders. They can be very mature about things at times, but most kids that age still have a lot of room to grow mentally and emotionally.
It isn't much higher lol. The same good decision makers at 18 are also present at 13. Very few additional ones are added in at that point.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
What's the context* of the video? All we're seeing is a student going on a tirade without knowing if any of what he's saying is true. It also seems like it might be, to some degree, staged, based on the filming of the incident (which shouldn't have happened, either).

*Would we get a much different picture of this student and his classmates if they were filmed on a daily basis? Is this teacher really holding them back in some way? In my experience those that whine the most also tend to be the biggest trouble-makers standing in the way of learning.
Totally agree here, alot of students nowadays are whining, overly dramatic teenagers that will do anything for attention. Good point.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
But that's not the teacher's fault. I know a few of them and unfortunately, they are told to give the packets because it relates to whatever state test that they have to give at the end of the year.

Of course it's the teacher's fault.

If you're teaching to the test, you're not doing it right.

You should teach the curriculum you want to teach and then allot 2 weeks at the end of the year to fill in any discrepancies.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Based on the teacher's responses of "Yeah. Sure. Whatever. Just make sure to close the door." it sounds like it was true.

If you actually liked teaching, you would be outraged that someone is insulting you.

Also, if she just sits down and hands out packets every day, it's also logical that many of them use their phones in class, so when he starts talking, they just turn the camera on and start recording.
Not necessarily. They are told to be professional at all times. Especially since apparently this kid got kicked out a lot so you have to think, how many times do you hear someone before you start tuning them out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education