Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 AM

171 posts, read 311,432 times

Advertisements

One day a friend and I were on break at our job. Hanging out in the break room Jeopardy was on. So casually we would take a guesses at the questions with the common response of "Wow didn't know that" or the like.
Lady walks in we never seen before "A new hire" I would guess in her 50's or so. And asked if she could change the channel. Of course we both nodded "Sure no problem". When changing the channel she said "I never saw the need for continual learning." as a off hand comment. My buddy did a quick half glance at each other. Nothing said between us.
That was over a month ago and still bugs me. Granted I'm no scholar or educated man. But I like to think I'd pick up tidbits of info and know a little more everday. Not someone who has settled on "This is how much I know and thats that." I never saw her again.
Any thoughts or has anyone met someone who shuns knowledge or bettering themselves? Even if only on a casual level.

Oh yeah She changed it to some talk show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
That's a strange comment... maybe she was just being silly?

Old 05-10-2013, 06:49 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Yeah that does seem like an odd set of words to string together.

Old 05-11-2013, 03:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Why say that in relation to watching Jeopardy? Maybe if she said something about trivia...

As to your question - Yes, I know a few people like that. They don't read, either.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraptree View Post
One day a friend and I were on break at our job. Hanging out in the break room Jeopardy was on. So casually we would take a guesses at the questions with the common response of "Wow didn't know that" or the like.
Lady walks in we never seen before "A new hire" I would guess in her 50's or so. And asked if she could change the channel. Of course we both nodded "Sure no problem". When changing the channel she said "I never saw the need for continual learning." as a off hand comment. My buddy did a quick half glance at each other. Nothing said between us.
That was over a month ago and still bugs me. Granted I'm no scholar or educated man. But I like to think I'd pick up tidbits of info and know a little more everday. Not someone who has settled on "This is how much I know and thats that." I never saw her again.
Any thoughts or has anyone met someone who shuns knowledge or bettering themselves? Even if only on a casual level.

Oh yeah She changed it to some talk show.
It sounds like a joke to me. One that you didn't get.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
I don't think it was a joke, I think she meant it because there are people who are that way. I once heard a man say he knew everything he wanted to know. He was one of the type people who refer to college grads as educated fools, a typical remark of the ignorant.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 PM

171 posts, read 311,432 times
Making a joke or being silly perhaps.

She didn't look at us after making the comment and her face had no emotion with hint of "hmpf !!" after she said it.

I do recall another asking if she could change the channel. Went from Political news to Jerry springer. First thing I did was gather my things and go back to my desk. Lady was part of the cleaning staff though.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why say that in relation to watching Jeopardy? Maybe if she said something about trivia...

As to your question - Yes, I know a few people like that. They don't read, either.
I was just going to say that. It tends to be the same sort of people who bust out with "Oh, I just hate to read. It never holds my interest."

Old 05-11-2013, 07:25 PM

382 posts, read 721,873 times
I can imagine she was serious --- I've met a lot of people who are what I'd call intellectually incurious. I work in a bookstore (which sells other items as well), and I can't tell you how many people's eyes glaze over when they see a roomful of books. We sell books on absolutely anything imaginable, high-brow to pop-culture, but it's become relatively rare to see customers excited about books.

Arguably many of these folks might instead be learning new things from the internet or reading e-books, but I still have the impression that a huge percentage of the population couldn't care less about anything outside of their narrow range of interests, and would shun a TED lecture or an intelligent film, as well. I'm no snob, but this kind of complete disengagement with the wider world (and the sometimes belligerent pride that goes with it) baffles me.

It used to bug me, but I've adopted a laissez faire attitude regarding the habits of others in recent years. I just hope they don't vote...

Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I actually don't mind when people are very pridefully vocal about, "Learning ain't for me!"

It tells me loud and clear to avoid them for my own peace of mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education