Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 PM

338 posts, read 741,136 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who lives in Chicago, and he can't go to college because he's poor, or at least lower middle class. He's also 30 years old. What options are there for a trade school in Chicago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:04 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Who needs schools with today's technology?

Teach Yourself Electricity and Electronics (2006) by Stan Gibilisco
teach yourself electricity and electronics

The Art of Electronics (1989) by Horowitz and Hill
Download The Art of Electronics – Horowitz & Hill | books download

EveryCircuit by Igor Vytyaz
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ycircuit&hl=en

psik

Old 05-31-2013, 07:14 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,797 times
Being poor does not preclude someone from going to college. He can apply for grants to help defer the cost whether it be trade school or college. If he does want to learn a trade, he should check out the community college. They often have trade training available. Actual trade schools are often ridiculously expensive.

Regardless, if he wants to go to school - any school, whether it is community college (less expensive) or trade school (more expensive) he can apply for grants and work. I would discourage him from getting loans - they're a monkey on your back and very easy to get in college.

It can be done, I did it and was a single mother raising three kids.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhornsfan87 View Post
I have a friend who lives in Chicago, and he can't go to college because he's poor, or at least lower middle class. He's also 30 years old. What options are there for a trade school in Chicago?
There are plenty of options for trade schools and community colleges in Chicago. What trade does he want to pursue?

Wilbur Wright-Humboldt Park vocational college is one program. Each of the City Colleges of Chicago have different programs. The Illinois School of Health Careers is another possibility.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:22 PM

338 posts, read 741,136 times
But he's 30 years old. I'm worried that by the time he gets out, he'll be too old to enter the workforce.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:31 PM

142 posts, read 677,160 times
That's a rather negative attitude to have. If he was planning on med-school, then yes, it's a harder hill to climb, but he's still not too old. You have to start somewhere. I started college at 29, graduated at 33, and have an excellent job that pays well while also very flexible with my family life.

If he's using the "I'm too old" argument, then he's not serious about it.

As already stated, he can "learn" a trade at Community College, which is way cheaper than at a trade school. And if his income is below a certain level, he qualifies for grants and subsidized loans.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
But he's 30 years old. I'm worried that by the time he gets out, he'll be too old to enter the workforce.

Why are you so worried about what your friend does with his life? Has he chosen to do something else and you don't agree with it? Is he a couch slug who has no life or job experience yet? Bottom line, it is up to your friend what he is going to do with his life and it is his responsibility to do any and all research pertaining to whatever school he may want to attend. One's financial status does not prevent them from attending educational classes or skill training but one has to find these classes or training and enroll themselves then apply for any financial aid themselves. Their friends cannot do it for them.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
30 is not too old at all. It really depends upon what he wants to do with his life.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:37 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,409,916 times
Penn & Teller: Bullsh!t! - College

Penn & Teller: Bull****! - College - YouTube

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 06-01-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 05:17 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,740,133 times
Quote:
He will be ___ age with a degree or without. With a trade school certificate or without. I didn't go back to school until I was 37. I will be 42 when I earn my 1st Bachelor's degree. Either way, at 42 I will still need a job, I figure my odds are better with a degree than without.

I also realize that I am behind in the game as far as saving for retirement, due to years spent raising kids while working low wage jobs where I lived paycheck to paycheck. I figure it will be a bit easier to "catch up" with a decent paying job based on having a degree than it would be if I'd not gone to school and continued working $10 an hour clerical work jobs instead.

Even if I end up with a "crappy paying" job for someone with a degree, there will still be a lot more jobs open to me once I graduate vs what's available to me now, with no degree yet. It's still bound to be an improvement over what kind of work I can get now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education