U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:20 AM

811 posts, read 929,910 times

Advertisements

Please note that this thread was started in 2013 and the OP is no longer a member.

Graduation ceremonies are a time of celebration for those family members or friends who have achieved a significant milestone in their lives, whether it be a graduation from high school, college, or some other significant achievement.

Over the years, it has become more apparent that civil behavior at ceremonies has been on the decline. Today, it is not uncommon to hear hoots and hollers, whoot-whoots, loud yelling, screams, and even air horns.

All of this makes you think, when did it become acceptable to behave in such a manner at a ceremony that is supposed to be serious?

At a recent high school graduation ceremony, observed were graduating students batting beach balls, blow-up animals, and even a blow-up sex doll amongst the various graduates. At first, it seemed as though school officials were resigned to let it happen. However, as the number of pool toys increased, school officials stepped in and conviscated the toys. Even then, only one student was ejected from the ceremony.

What was even more shocking was the public's reaction to the ejected student, a student of whom when being asked to leave stripped off his robe in front of everyone, used hand gestures, and acted as though he was going to "moon" the entire crowd. The crowd began to boo. This at a graduation ceremony? The crowd seemed more concerned about supporting an unruly student than maintaining proper decorum and civility at the ceremony. Amongst the boos, you heard people yelling, "he didn't do anything", and then in almost unison, the crowd chanted, "let him back in", while they stomped on the bleacher floor. This whole incident caused the ceremony to be delayed, and even after they restarted the graduation, the crowd still wanted to talk and show their displeasure. Seriously, while this was going on, it felt as though I was sitting in the stands of the stadium displayed in the movie, "Idiocracy", whereby the crowd was cheering on uncivil behavior.

The student's behavior as they crossed the stage was also just as dissappointing. About eighty percent of the students felt the need to give a "shout-out" gesture to the crowd as they crossed the stage. Amongst these "shout-outs" were various dances, hand signs, back flips, etc. The school officials didn't try to prevent this type of behavior. There were even students grabbing their crotches and doing "booty dances" on the stage. One even imitated moving down on a stripper pole.

The whole ceremony was surreal. Not only did all of the above occur, but some people were using airhorns when their graduate walked across the stage, which drowned out the beginning anticipation of the next graduate.

At a promotion on this same trip, I experienced people leaving early after their graduate was called. When the crowd was asked to stay seated until all graduates had left the building, a full one-third of the audience got up anyway and proceeded to leave the building, despite graduates still on the floor within the building.

The prior episodes took place at a ceremonies attended out of state on the west coast. I'm not certain if things are less civil in that part of the country, but even in the South, where I'm from, while attending a college graduation, I experienced the following:

-Air Horn blared off at a college graduation
-Non-Stop talking by some people during the ceremony
-People up and down throughout the ceremony
-Loud screams and yelling, almost a "cat call" variety

What has happened? When I graduated from college nearly fifteen years ago, I saw nothing more than a few mild yells, and even then, it wasn't but a fraction of the graduates. Now, I'm seeing about eighty percent of the graduates' names followed by loud yells, as well as various other rude behaviors found randomely throughout. When I graduated from high school nearly twenty years ago, behaviors like I seen would have resulted in at least two dozen students being ejected from the ceremony. The ceremony would have been stopped for each instance. The crowd definitely wouldn't have cheered those misbehaving, for such behavior is savagery.

Is this more evidence that society is becoming dumber and less civil? An "Idiocracy", have you. Other things noticed were people on their phones during the ceremony, not for pictures, but talking, texting, and on facebook. Some attenders at the graduations were wearing t-shirts displaying sexual and graphic language. What is going on? Is society becoming dumber and less civil? Have you experienced anything of the sort like this?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-13-2019 at 10:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:28 AM

20,418 posts, read 42,298,858 times
Our school district would not tolerate such behavior.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:56 AM

18,088 posts, read 16,501,930 times
"World is ending alert, people are having fun at an otherwise boring occassion."

These boring graduation cermonies remind of the boring wedding ceromonies; thankfully this boring (and I suspect puritan influenced) trend is being slowly eroding, taking its place is some actual fun.

I thought so highly of my undergrad and graduate school graduations, I did not bother to show up.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

811 posts, read 929,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"World is ending alert, people are having fun at an otherwise boring occassion."

These boring graduation cermonies remind of the boring wedding ceromonies; thankfully this boring (and I suspect puritan influenced) trend is being slowly eroding, taking its place is some actual fun.

I thought so highly of my undergrad and graduate school graduations, I did not bother to show up.
"Grabbing one's crotch" is having "fun"?
"Doing backflips on stage", which puts people at risk, is having "fun"?
"Doing a "Booty Dance" to the audience is having "fun", and not a sign of a **** on stage debasing the graduation?
"Throwing around a sex doll" is having "fun", and not the sign of a trashy person taking away from the respectfulness of the ceremony?

You seriously couldn't be serious, for if you are, then you needn't ever go to such a ceremony. We only wish the same could be said for the apparent brain-dead masses out there who think that they need to be entertained every moment of every day, lest they become "bored", courtesy of their impatient, child-like nature. Adolescents in adult bodies.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:36 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,182,709 times
If high school has become a farce why should anyone care about graduation ceremonies?

They claim that a major reason for "education" is JOBS. But how many high school graduates know what NET WORTH is? No one suggested that I take an accounting course when i was in high school. In fact I don't even know if my high school had such a course back then.

But look at what has happened to the economy over the last 20 years. So why is graduation so important?

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

We should create a book list for education. Of course that would tend to emphasize how worthless schooling is.

psik

Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM

21,659 posts, read 27,606,685 times
Who claims that "the major reason for "education" is jobs"? I have never said that in my life.

The thread was about the lack of decorum at a graduation ceremony that was attended by the OP, not the "net worth" of high school graduates.

I would agree that the demonstrations at this ceremony were "over the top" and vulgar.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:02 AM

2,866 posts, read 3,318,309 times

Gee Boxus, NOTHING is "sacred" anymore to you, is it? Maybe I should show up to the next funeral of one of your close loved ones (if you have any) in a clown suit and pass out whoopee cushions to the grieving family members. Good for you not showing up at your undergrad and grad programs. Wouldn't want to be bored would you.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:24 AM

9,856 posts, read 14,367,327 times
Maybe this is a sign that society is actually lightening up and realizing that a graduation ceremony is a time to celebrate, not a time to act as if you are at a funeral. It is just a ceremony, it doesn't mean all that much. I wouldn't have attended my college or grad school's graduation if my parents wouldn't have cared so much.

I went to college and grad school to learn certain skills, a graduation ceremony does nothing for me and doesn't say anything about my education or ability.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:40 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,463,422 times
My high school graduation was way back in 1994, and I can't recall there being any belligerent behavior. I don't think it would've been tolerated. My college graduation, having been much more recent in 2012, was much the same with at least one difference in the form of a public announcement beforehand explicitly forbidding any screaming, air horns or anything else so inexcusably rude and disruptive. Another difference I noticed was that there were security personnel in and around the building standing by to throw people out who are thinking of making asses of themselves. I don't know if the shenanigans got too out of hand in recent years but if they ever did, this college definitely put their foot down and stopped it.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,496,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
My high school graduation was way back in 1994, and I can't recall there being any belligerent behavior. I don't think it would've been tolerated. My college graduation, having been much more recent in 2012, was much the same with one difference in the form of an announcement explicitly forbidding any screaming, air horns and anything else so inexcusably rude and disruptive. Another difference I noticed was that there are security personnel in and around the building standing by to throw people out who are thinking of making asses of themselves. I don't know if the shenanigans got too out of hand in recent years but if they ever did, this college definitely put their foot down and stopped it.
I agree with you..umm uh..how do i say your name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education