Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:37 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,898,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Do you really think that the last day of school, teachers walk out the door with the kids, turn off the lights and are ready to sit by the pool for the next 3 months? They're not. There are still at least 2 weeks of cleaning, filing, ordering, class placement for the next year, and so on.

At a certain point BEFORE the school year ends, the actual class work has to stop so that grades can be generated, awards given, etc. The kids can't hand in an assignment or take a test on Thursday and get a report card that includes that grade on Friday. Kids have to take their papers home, clean out desks and lockers, etc. That can't be done the day that school gets out.
I don't think the process has to start weeks ahead of time, which is what happened especially for one of my kids. I realize much isn't going to happen the last day or two.

Art for instance was done, and the room cleaned out weeks before the school year ended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 11:43 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I don't think the process has to start weeks ahead of time, which is what happened especially for one of my kids. I realize much isn't going to happen the last day or two.

Art for instance was done, and the room cleaned out weeks before the school year ended.
There are also maintenance and repair issues that have to be done over the summer. Rooms often have to be cleaned and emptied as quickly as possible so that repairs can get started. Some of those maintenance issues can take up to the first day of school. Schools are very busy places in the summer.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Last week = finals and AP test reviews, no?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:53 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Do you really think that the last day of school, teachers walk out the door with the kids, turn off the lights and are ready to sit by the pool for the next 3 months? They're not. There are still at least 2 weeks of cleaning, filing, ordering, class placement for the next year, and so on.
My wife has to stay two days after the kids get out. One is an inservice and the other is a checkout. She doesn't enter her classroom until the Aug 1st. Ordering is done before school lets out. She doesn't know until around Aug 1st who will be in her classroom.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
My wife has to stay two days after the kids get out. One is an inservice and the other is a checkout. She doesn't enter her classroom until the Aug 1st. Ordering is done before school lets out. She doesn't know until around Aug 1st who will be in her classroom.
Doesn't she place the kids she has this year into next year's class? Doesn't she have IEP meetings for her outgoing kids?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
My middle-school daughter had homework through the last week and two tests on the last day of school. I thought it was a bit excessive.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:39 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,379,197 times
Quote:
Doesn't she place the kids she has this year into next year's class? Doesn't she have IEP meetings for her outgoing kids?
My wife teaches fifth grade. Her students go to a different building for sixth grade. Most of the IEP meeting are done before the year ends.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,093,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Last week = finals and AP test reviews, no?
I'm talking about elementary school.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Um...administrative tasks like report cards are part of teaching. Those tasks are being done during a teacher's prep time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I complete almost 100% of the report cards from home.
Done (completed) during prep time? Ha, ha! With 1,001 things to do during prep time every teacher that I know does report cards at home. (I apologize if you meant during prep time as opposed to during teaching time).

Also, it is not unheard of for new teachers (at least in my school district) to end up "pulling all nighters" the last night or two to get their report card finished in time and sent home with the children on the last day of school. Teachers who have taught for a while seem to be able to better judge the huge amount of time that is needed and to be able to write comments faster.

BTW, If an elementary teacher was caught working on actual report cards (as opposed to correcting tests, etc.) in the classroom, while the students were present (for example, while they were watching a movie or something) my district probably would "write them up" for inappropriate teaching behavior.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-04-2013 at 04:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
We have an early release day the day after the kids last day for checkout. We have to finish everything else before then. Teachers start back mid August, and students start September 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education