Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,265,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Doesn't anyone take notes in shorthand or speedwriting anymore?

That is what I did (I'm ancient).

A Guide to Alternative Handwriting and Shorthand Systems
I looked at your link and I did not ever learn that anywhere, but when taking notes, I do shorten many of my words, etc.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:20 PM

Well I asked a few people today about whether or not they used cursive or print when they were writing and how they felt about which they use especially during note taking.

There is a definite difference in opinion regarding age. I was the oldest of the group, then there was a young man who was 29, one who was 25, and a young lady who was 19.

The 2 men agreed that note taking was quicker with cursive, as well as did the young lady. The young lady uses print either way and stated she really didn't know how to use it (cursive) very well and when she did, it was very sloppy.

None of them thought it was extremely important but the 25 year old who is big into history, government, and the USA. He did agree that being able to read the old documents as they were and not in text would be a good thing, as well as old letter, etc.

He mentioned I could use a laptop for my note taking, etc.

Another thing he also mentioned is that people (kids) these days are learning how to type at a much younger age than before and are probably a lot more proficient in it than some others. I had to agree with him there. I can type pretty well. Not fast enough to do transcription, however.

I think our minds work differently. Some may be the same as me, and some may differ.

I can type all day long, anything. I can type notes or from a book but once those words are typed, they are forgotten. My brain does not store them to memory.

When I hand write things out, they do. There is a connection of me writing and seeing the words and them being saved then to memory where as typing, for me, is not the same.

That has nothing to do with cursive other than I use it as opposed to print. It is just why typing on a laptop does not work for me.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:31 PM

536 posts, read 826,903 times
This is probably a personal problem, but I can't read most people's cursive writing. Or sometimes I'll be able to make out parts of it, but there will be parts I can't read which throws off the meaning. I don't remember ever having this problem with print writing though. Also cursive writing is much slower for me to write, but again I am sure this is a personal problem. I would still teach it though. I honestly don't remember spending an excessive amount of time on it to learn when I was in school.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
This is probably a personal problem, but I can't read most people's cursive writing. Or sometimes I'll be able to make out parts of it, but there will be parts I can't read which throws off the meaning. I don't remember ever having this problem with print writing though. Also cursive writing is much slower for me to write, but again I am sure this is a personal problem. I would still teach it though. I honestly don't remember spending an excessive amount of time on it to learn when I was in school.
I have worked for doctors for years, and it is something else learning their individual handwriting style!

Everything they do is in cursive, the prescriptions, the forms (for the most part) the answering of messages, the charting....

Some of them use print, and I am suspecting it is because their writing is bad. I seriously think they take a course in bad handwriting!!! =)

Honestly, I think that is one profession where print needs to be used, and I am liking how a lot of offices are printing rx out and the dr just signs it. Then there is not a chance, at least on their end, that the pharmacist misinterprets their writing!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:40 PM

536 posts, read 826,903 times
I actually remember how it was taught to us. We were basically taught the letters at first, but in addition we were assigned a paragraph that we had to copy out in cursive writing. The teacher would review your paragraph, and if it was perfectly done you were immediately allowed to write in pen on all of your future assignments. If you made the slightest mistake, you were reassigned the paragraph to do over until you got it right. One girl got it right the first time. Let's just say it was a very long time before I was writing in pen

Old 07-09-2013, 05:43 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,806,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I looked at your link and I did not ever learn that anywhere, but when taking notes, I do shorten many of my words, etc.
I actually took shorthand in high school in a business class and speedwriting on my own for college notes. I don't remember my shorthand, but I do remember that it was used by all secretaries back in my day.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,973,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I actually remember how it was taught to us. We were basically taught the letters at first, but in addition we were assigned a paragraph that we had to copy out in cursive writing. The teacher would review your paragraph, and if it was perfectly done you were immediately allowed to write in pen on all of your future assignments. If you made the slightest mistake, you were reassigned the paragraph to do over until you got it right. One girl got it right the first time. Let's just say it was a very long time before I was writing in pen

My writing both print and cursive were bad. They way we learned was you learned how to write it about 3rd-4th grade (Think it relates to a vision problem as everyone else’s seemed fine both print and cursive). 5th grade use of cursive was optional but preferred 6-8th everything had to be in cursive. High school, I tried printing but found it too slow, once tried typing but it wasn't practical for homework yet and so usually used cursive. College used it for notes. Today often use it when using pen and paper. I don’t do full drafts on paper like I did in another era but I do like to play around with ideas and paper is very useful for notes, lists, to-do ect. I have used it when in a meeting and I need to write down what my boss is saying.

I can type reasonable fast but find all the extra junk an computer can do a bit distracting when all I need is something simple with no worry about saving files (or a crazy auto save), hitting the wrong key/messing up what I just typed cause I can’t devote enough attention to the thing, power,weight, heat, space and all the other things a laptop brings. Hate small keyboards and small screens for doing anything major which makes a tablet less appealing for just taking notes and a smart phone forget about it. I love computers and really like the kindle fire but can’t see myself hauling a laptop back and forwards to class when a paper notebook could do and no way could I type fast enough on a touch screen or use a stylus effectively to keep notes in an class. I can see tablets replacing books (and interestingly enough they don’t seem to promote learning as well as a real book!) but that is that.

Last edited by chirack; 07-09-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 05:10 PM

5,716 posts, read 3,228,342 times
I think its sad that the people on here who are for eliminating the need to teach cursive because "we have computers".
why not eliminate teaching math since computers and other "gadgets" can do math for us?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,745,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I think its sad that the people on here who are for eliminating the need to teach cursive because "we have computers".
why not eliminate teaching math since computers and other "gadgets" can do math for us?
I am sure that I am of the last generation of engineers that was proficient with a slide rule including the more advanced scales. It was a neat skill...but no longer useful. I also can do reasonably advanced celestial navigation...another skill no longer useful.

Cursive will probably do better than those two skills. It has an art piece to it that will let it survive at least in that domain. There is no prettiness to a celestial plot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education